Pontiac V8 Swaps - Page 5 - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Pontiac V8 Swaps

Old 08-07-2007, 05:18 AM
  #201  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
bbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 20
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

I'm not sure about the mounting and air/heater box questions, but I think your stock radiator should be sufficient with the stock electric fans. Also, as far as the alternator question goes, I believe that your 400 would have had a 10SI originally. You'd have to research it, but if you wanted a higher amp alternator for your application, I'd think a 94 amp 12SI would suite you well. Here is a link for some good reading on alternators:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
Good luck, sounds like a fun project
bbeck is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 03:28 PM
  #202  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 188
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
I'm not sure about the mounting and air/heater box questions, but I think your stock radiator should be sufficient with the stock electric fans. Also, as far as the alternator question goes, I believe that your 400 would have had a 10SI originally. You'd have to research it, but if you wanted a higher amp alternator for your application, I'd think a 94 amp 12SI would suite you well. Here is a link for some good reading on alternators:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
Good luck, sounds like a fun project
Yea I'm not sure on the rad this is the base model 305 which has the single fan setup, if I go ahead with this project I will probably just get a 3 row version of it and T/A dual fan setup. I want to stick to my TBI setup for a few reasons. For one its the simplest electronic fuel injection setup that I know of and still makes good power and better fuel economy than a carb. It makes for instant starts. And I could keep it pretty close to stock if I ever needed switch back. I'm also kicking around the idea of using a larger 454 TBI unit if I could score one for a decent price. I've heard that "log style" manifolds won't work but I'm not sure what those look like exactly are those the ones that would be in a second gen car? This engine looks like it would actually be easier to work on then my 305 I noticed in the pics I've seen that you can actually SEE the rear plugs on the 400 lol. Everytime I've changed plugs on my 305 those last two plugs I've had to get a jack out to do it! Thanks for the info on the alternator by the way.
Formula_Fire is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 04:01 PM
  #203  
Moderator
iTrader: (14)
 
five7kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Littleton, CO USA
Posts: 43,126
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by Formula_Fire View Post
I could be wrong but as far as the distributor I think the factory HEI off the later second gens are basically the same design as the 3rd gen units just the spark curbs change and the shafts the go into the engine are different.
And I may be wrong, but I don't believe Pontiac engines ever used computer controls. So, a vaccum/mechanical advance distributor wouldn't work.
five7kid is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 04:27 PM
  #204  
Senior Member
 
poncho@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Laval, Canada
Posts: 727
Car: 2004 BMW 330Cic
Engine: 3.0
Transmission: 6 speed
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

I think a distributor from the '81 turbo 301 pontiac is computer controlled...someone should look into this
poncho@home is offline  
Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 PM
  #205  
Junior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
bbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 20
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

if there wasn't one made, I don't imagine that a hybrid would be all that hard to put together.
bbeck is offline  
Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 AM
  #206  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 46
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by bbeck View Post
if there wasn't one made, I don't imagine that a hybrid would be all that hard to put together.
I talked to these guys about getting a custom one made. It would cost 400 bones, but it'd be a good one.

http://www.performancedistributors.c...mputerdist.htm

Here's also a link to a guy who talks about modifying an HEI distributor to be EFI using information he learned from a book called CUSTOMEFIS:

http://members.aol.com/__121b_nmuXeT...mxiv6iTesCqAvr

Last edited by jgetti; 08-08-2007 at 10:49 AM.
jgetti is offline  
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM
  #207  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 10
Car: 85 t/a, 78 t/a, 79 PowerWagon
Engine: 5.0 TPI, "stock" 400 :-), none
Transmission: 700r4, th-350, 727
Axle/Gears: 3.23, 3.73, 3.55
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Does indian adventures still make the pontiac to third gen motor mounts? Their website catalog does not work and i emailed them and they never replied. If they still make these does anyone know how much they cost? Also has anyone found a set of headers that fit these cars yet?
91shelbydaytona is offline  
Old 08-08-2007, 06:27 PM
  #208  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

I dont see a problem as long as you have all the brackets and whatnot. just watch when dropping the engine, but i dont see it being a big clearance problem. if you wanna get all fancy, get the serpentine conversion from march. the fully loaded package, tho 1000 bucks, comes with a brand new compressor.
72vega is offline  
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
  #209  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 188
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by five7kid View Post
And I may be wrong, but I don't believe Pontiac engines ever used computer controls. So, a vaccum/mechanical advance distributor wouldn't work.
I have the base TBI version not the Tune port injection I think mine is a plain vacume advance. Otherwise how would we be able to use aftermarket MSD boxs on the birds with out it really messing things up... Hmm if I get a chance tomarrow I'll pop the hood and look but last time I did a cap change I thought it was a more traditional hook up. Even if its not I bet you could adapt it to the stock HEI distributor and have the person doing the chip reprogram adjust the curves. They should be able to do that considering if you get a bigger cam you can have a chip burned to match it.
----------
Originally Posted by 72vega View Post
I dont see a problem as long as you have all the brackets and whatnot. just watch when dropping the engine, but i dont see it being a big clearance problem. if you wanna get all fancy, get the serpentine conversion from march. the fully loaded package, tho 1000 bucks, comes with a brand new compressor.
Those come with the compressor for 1000? I didn't know that it never mentions that in summit or jegs I wondered why the kit was so much money that makes sense if comes with the compressor I think that if you bought that compressor its normally like a 400 or so unit.

Last edited by Formula_Fire; 08-08-2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Formula_Fire is offline  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 AM
  #210  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: philly/ south jersey
Posts: 55
Car: 1986 trans am ws6, 66 grandprix
Engine: 88 iroc 5.0 tpi
Transmission: 700 r4 built by rocky pirrone
Axle/Gears: 327
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

you can mount a tuned port on a pontiac motor and its not as hard as alot of people will lead you to believe. you can do your own project starting w/ a torquer 2 intake or you can buy one of these http://www.rancefi.com/ManifoldsforSale/pontiact.htm
plathegame is offline  
Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
  #211  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

ok, hold on.. now that you said that, i looked and it doesnt say whether or not it comes with the compressor. i thought it did, but i stand corrected. i guess it seemed because it costed so much, it would come with the sanden 508 compressor... sorry for the misinformation.
72vega is offline  
Old 08-17-2007, 04:03 PM
  #212  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Does anyone have any contacts at www.chiefmanyhorses.com. I've tried email and phone messages but haven't heard a word from them. Is there anyone else who makes a motor mount to put a pontiac 400 in an '84 T/A. Thanks.
maineak1970 is offline  
Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 PM
  #213  
Junior Member
 
swimster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N. Syracuse, NY
Posts: 83
Car: 99 Subaru, 92 GMC Van, 95 Bonnie
Engine: LOTS of them
Transmission: LOTS of those too.
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

First off, if links I posted YEARS ago are dead, well, they're dead.. NOT my fault or problem.. Performance Years tech forums HAD all this info on their site.. I posted those links a REALLY long time ago.


A computer controlled pontiac distributor.. you can build your own for maybe $20.. EVERY GM HEI distributor,(per year) meaning, if you take a 79 pontiac HEI distributor and an HEI chevy distributor, all the guts are interchangable.. As far as a computer controlled one, MOST of the pontiac HEI bases will accept about ALL of the newer GM computer controlled guts.

hmm.. what else... Oh.. headers from the BIG pontiac cars.. how much more explaination does there seriously need ot be there? WHAT big pontiac cars had actual PONTIAC motors in them? catalina and bonneville are BIG cars.. then you say the large MIDSIZE cars? well? if they're MIDSIZE cars, they're not BIG cars.. The headers I have were made for ALL the early 70's pontiac engine equipped BIG cars.. I can dump my pontiac engine into my 86 TA and use these headers so long as I cut off about the last 7-8 inches and find a way to put them back together again on an angle following the frame rails. they can also be shortened, but the trick is welding back together the 4 pipes. every inch of these headers clears everything factory installed in my car except that last section where they hit the frame rails. If this was a 4th gen, they'd drop right in. I have yet to perform this swap do to severe lack of time. As far as a part number? I have no idea.. I bought these headers used from Ebay to "play" with. But I would imagine a BIG car pontiac motor equiped header is going to be about the same no matter WHO you get it from.

As for transmission.. you can buy a BOP adapter plate to bolt any GM tranny to your pontiac motor. I am rebuilding my 700r4 to take about 500hp and 550lbs of torque and abuse this pontiac 400 will be pumping thru it.

anyways.. love how people start questioning and ragging on a 4 year old post.. most of what I said in the LAST post was directed towards all the people asking the same questions that were answered in MANY other posts and questions about things in my posts the DAY after I posted it. there are TONS of people who DO NOT read thru posts and just post their question regardless of what's already in the post.. If you are someone who READ thru the entire post, then obviously my last post was NOT directed towards you.
swimster is offline  
Old 09-08-2007, 12:48 PM
  #214  
Senior Member
 
18inchboyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam , NY
Posts: 1,699
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: vee eight
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 4.10 gears
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

im getting more serious about a pontiac 400 and a t350 or t400 . This is a good page for info.

i hope many horses is just having a glitch , since i might need some .
----------
also what oil pans are you guys using ?

Last edited by 18inchboyds; 09-08-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
18inchboyds is offline  
Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 AM
  #215  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 188
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by 18inchboyds View Post
im getting more serious about a pontiac 400 and a t350 or t400 . This is a good page for info.

i hope many horses is just having a glitch , since i might need some .
----------
also what oil pans are you guys using ?

Me too. I just got another car for a daily driver and an going to fix up my bird next summer and have a rebuilt 76 400 block sitting in storage. I have a question has anyone tried the headers for a 2nd gen car? This is probably a dumb question but I hadn't seen it brought up anywhere in the thread. One last question I thought I saw this in the thread mentioned somewhere but can't find it now. If I'm using my stock 700R4 and the adapter plate will I have to shorten my drive-shaft and change linkage? or will it all line up?
Formula_Fire is offline  
Old 09-12-2007, 12:17 PM
  #216  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 46
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Dataturbosix mentions somewhere in this thread that he's tried them and they don't work. I don't believe he gave any specific details of what the fit problem was though.

Not sure about your tranny question.
jgetti is offline  
Old 10-17-2007, 06:06 PM
  #217  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Thanks for the good information
exktm525 is offline  
Old 10-18-2007, 12:42 AM
  #218  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by jgetti View Post
Dataturbosix mentions somewhere in this thread that he's tried them and they don't work. I don't believe he gave any specific details of what the fit problem was though.

Not sure about your tranny question.
i tried 2gen and a-body headers off of my dads 66 gto. they fit against the k-member *BUT* it would no clear the front frame section and the floor pans.

as i mentioned before you could use ram air IV manifolds but they are VERY HEAVY.
daturbosix is offline  
Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 AM
  #219  
Senior Member
 
poncho@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Laval, Canada
Posts: 727
Car: 2004 BMW 330Cic
Engine: 3.0
Transmission: 6 speed
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Datatrubosix how does the engine sit in your firebird? basically how low or high is it? What intake/carb are you running? and do they clear the stock firebird hood or do you need a ram air style hood?

Any pics available? I am seriously considering going this route in my 89 GTA. I have plenty of pontiac parts, engines, cams and heads to choose from.
poncho@home is offline  
Old 10-18-2007, 11:59 AM
  #220  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Datatrubosix how does the engine sit in your firebird? basically how low or high is it? What intake/carb are you running? and do they clear the stock firebird hood or do you need a ram air style hood?

Any pics available? I am seriously considering going this route in my 89 GTA. I have plenty of pontiac parts, engines, cams and heads to choose from.
it sits, i think, where the factory 305 or 350 is. but the pontiac engines are taller. i have a torkerII intake on mine with a proform 750 carb and a 3" tall air cleaner. just the carb on the engine requires like a 1" cowl hood.
daturbosix is offline  
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 PM
  #221  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 46
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by daturbosix View Post
it sits, i think, where the factory 305 or 350 is. but the pontiac engines are taller. i have a torkerII intake on mine with a proform 750 carb and a 3" tall air cleaner. just the carb on the engine requires like a 1" cowl hood.
daturbosix,

Just out of curiosity, did you use the motor mount brackets from tin indian?
jgetti is offline  
Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM
  #222  
Junior Member
 
Da Grim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albany, Ga.
Posts: 35
Car: 86 Z28 & 1980 FIREBIRD
Engine: 350 & 454
Transmission: TURBO 400
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

in the jegs book they have a set of headers just for f body motor swaps $300-$500. If thats what your looking for. they are close to the block and are shortys.
Da Grim Reaper is offline  
Old 10-27-2007, 02:16 AM
  #223  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by jgetti View Post
daturbosix,

Just out of curiosity, did you use the motor mount brackets from tin indian?
i used the ones from indian adventures. and i have a AJE k-member, so i dont know if that may throw some things off like engine height?
daturbosix is offline  
Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 PM
  #224  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

I have a dual pattern trans i might be willing to get off of, for something! just rebuilt b&m trans kit, shift kit. for my 1965 olds 425 rocket. let me know.
425rocket is offline  
Old 12-25-2007, 01:56 PM
  #225  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
KrisW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeland, FLA
Posts: 2,765
Car: 88 V6 'bird/88 IROC/85 T/A
Engine: Buick 6 swap coming/TPI sbc x2
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/3.73 posi/ 3.27 9 bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Merry Christams for the ditto!

I am also putting a Pontiac V8 swap on my list of things to do for 2008. I have a 350 to start with to get all of the motor mount/exhaust/heater box issues worked out, so we'll see how it goes!!
KrisW is offline  
Old 12-25-2007, 08:38 PM
  #226  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

ya id like to do that to my GTA, but... its a GTA.. so itll stay stock. but ihave a 350 to play with because im puttin a 455 w/ a tripower to put in my Lemans. fun stuff
72vega is offline  
Old 01-30-2008, 04:15 PM
  #227  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

I just bought a (what I think is an 84) recaro in need of re-assembly and is a 4 speed car. The bellhousing is drilled for both patterns so 1 set of indian mounts and HO manifolds and I'll be set! Probably do a high winding 400 to let the weak drivetrain live! I'll post pics soon..
455z4ever is offline  
Old 02-10-2008, 11:40 AM
  #228  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Great thread,my question is what kind of mods needed if any for the fuel pump? And how about a shacker hood for clearence ?
wqcode is offline  
Old 02-10-2008, 01:20 PM
  #229  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by wqcode View Post
Great thread,my question is what kind of mods needed if any for the fuel pump? And how about a shacker hood for clearence ?
im running a stock TBI pump that was origionally in the car. stock fuel lines, and a aeromotive bypass regulator set to 7psi going to the carb.

ive thought about the shakerhood and im trying to work that out
daturbosix is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 09:03 AM
  #230  
Senior Member
 
18inchboyds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Amsterdam , NY
Posts: 1,699
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: vee eight
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 4.10 gears
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

i wish the chiefmanyhorses.com site would work.
18inchboyds is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 10:52 AM
  #231  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

if i can get enough interest, ill make sets of motor mounts. for the swap seeing how there is no responce from chiefmanyhorses.com.
daturbosix is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 07:01 PM
  #232  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

how much??
72vega is offline  
Old 02-25-2008, 08:35 PM
  #233  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
KrisW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeland, FLA
Posts: 2,765
Car: 88 V6 'bird/88 IROC/85 T/A
Engine: Buick 6 swap coming/TPI sbc x2
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/3.73 posi/ 3.27 9 bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

I was gonna make my own as well. How much for yours? I might buy them depending on the style. Will you be using the old A-body style mounts or the late 2nd gen style that uses Pontiac clamshells and normal chevy style lowers. I was gonna try 2nd gen like these in the picture. These are Olds V8 mounts for the 2nd gen but the Pontiac mounts are similar from about 77 to 81.
Attached Thumbnails Pontiac V8 Swaps-2nd-gen-olds-mounts.jpg  
KrisW is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 05:02 AM
  #234  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

the motor mounts i bought 2 years ago, just bolt to the side of the block where the factory pontiac mount bolted, and has 2 fingers come off that to go over the factory 3rdgen engine mount.

i think $50 shipped in the lower 48 would be reasonable
daturbosix is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 PM
  #235  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

do those particular mounts keep the engine low enough for a stock hood?
72vega is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
  #236  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by 72vega View Post
do those particular mounts keep the engine low enough for a stock hood?
umm maybe with a q-jet and a stock intake.
but i doubt youd beable to run a air cleaner.

with my poncho, torker intake, 1" carb spacer, and a proform 750, i need a 4" hood to clear that, and i have to run a drop base air filter assembally.
daturbosix is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
  #237  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
KrisW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeland, FLA
Posts: 2,765
Car: 88 V6 'bird/88 IROC/85 T/A
Engine: Buick 6 swap coming/TPI sbc x2
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/3.73 posi/ 3.27 9 bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by daturbosix View Post
i think $50 shipped in the lower 48 would be reasonable
I would buy them for 50 dollars.

I need to see a picture of them first, and I need a little more info. Are they designed so that with a trans adapter the 700R4 will bolt back in it's stock location?

Let me know...
KrisW is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
  #238  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

its a loooong frickin thread so i dont exactly remember, but i though the other mounts from whatever that company is that wont respond lowers the engine somewhat... ill re-read the entire thread later...
72vega is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 02:59 PM
  #239  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Has anyone used the motor mounts from www.pontiacgroup.com ? Thier price is $90.
wqcode is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 03:06 PM
  #240  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by wqcode View Post
Has anyone used the motor mounts from www.pontiacgroup.com ? Thier price is $90.
those are what i used. theyre made by indian adventures
http://www.pontiacgroup.com/enginepa...part/10776.htm
daturbosix is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 PM
  #241  
Supreme Member
iTrader: (5)
 
KrisW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lakeland, FLA
Posts: 2,765
Car: 88 V6 'bird/88 IROC/85 T/A
Engine: Buick 6 swap coming/TPI sbc x2
Transmission: V8 T-5/700R4 x2
Axle/Gears: 3.42 open/3.73 posi/ 3.27 9 bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

I see they have also discontinued their Indian Adventures Pontiac headers for 82-92 F-bodies as well...
KrisW is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 03:17 PM
  #242  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 504
Car: '92 Firebird
Engine: Poncho 455
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: 12bolt
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
I see they have also discontinued their Indian Adventures Pontiac headers for 82-92 F-bodies as well...
wow, im suprised. i have those on my car too.
daturbosix is offline  
Old 06-22-2008, 11:33 PM
  #243  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 188
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by daturbosix View Post
if i can get enough interest, ill make sets of motor mounts. for the swap seeing how there is no responce from chiefmanyhorses.com.
Any word on the mounts for the true pontiac block yet? And has anyone found a alternate source for headers yet? Also I have a question I know their not the best performance wise but why can't we use stock log style manifolds from a 2nd gen I was looking at my 305s on my car the other day and they look almost the same to me. Am I just being an idiot and they exit in the middle of a cross member or something?
Formula_Fire is offline  
Old 06-25-2008, 10:08 PM
  #244  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

i wouldnt see why ram air manifolds wouldnt fit... theyre basically factory headers http://www.ramairrestoration.com/cat...products_id=39
72vega is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 08:13 PM
  #245  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 188
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by 72vega View Post
i wouldnt see why ram air manifolds wouldnt fit... theyre basically factory headers http://www.ramairrestoration.com/cat...products_id=39
Yea they will fit the problem is I am on a budget and 500 for a set of rare or replica ram air manifolds would be nice not to spend. If I could just use the stock 2nd gen manifolds and extend them to the stock exhaust thats 500 I could use somewhere else. Plus I have two sets of them in my storage unit with enough parts to build almost 2 second gen cars lol.

PS I just checked out those ram air headers and they fit the 71-1/2 to 81 f bodies.... So wouldn't they exit in the same place as the more stock ones? It would seem like they would and if thats the case I can use the stockers I already have until I can afford the real deal or make some headers.

Last edited by Formula_Fire; 06-26-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Formula_Fire is offline  
Old 06-26-2008, 08:44 PM
  #246  
Member
iTrader: (9)
 
72vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Erie PA
Posts: 255
Car: 2008 Silverado, 73 LeMans, 1987 GTA
Engine: 4.8, 350 Pontiac, 350 LT1
Transmission: 4L65E, TH350, T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 2.73, 3.42
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

yes but they flow way better that normal manifolds. and from the looks of it no one at the moment makes headers...but i dont see that being a problem to use the factory manifolds..
72vega is offline  
Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 PM
  #247  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 188
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by 72vega View Post
yes but they flow way better that normal manifolds. and from the looks of it no one at the moment makes headers...but i dont see that being a problem to use the factory manifolds..
Yea from what I understand they flow almost as good as headers.
Formula_Fire is offline  
Old 07-04-2008, 01:53 PM
  #248  
Junior Member
 
swimster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: N. Syracuse, NY
Posts: 83
Car: 99 Subaru, 92 GMC Van, 95 Bonnie
Engine: LOTS of them
Transmission: LOTS of those too.
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

THe pontiac engines in relation to the mounts.... if you measure the crankshaft centerline on a pontiac in relation to the mounts, and measure a chevy motor the same way, you will see that the pontiac motor mounts of any kind will just not work. Thye will leave your engine raised up about 3 inches higher than it should be.. this throws off your drivetrain geometry by alot.. this is also the reason many people find the need to use a cowl hood. I have "mocked" my complete engine in my firebird body with the crank in the correct position/height, and with a Torker manifold, Q-jet, and 3" aircleaner, it all fit with no problem. Only problem I had with anything clearing was the alternator setup. This, as far as the 1973 brackets that were holding it on, needs to be relocated.

As for manifolds.. Last time i looked, (couple years ago), you can buy reproduction Ram-Air manifolds. they exit straight down, so clearance is not an issue. they will clear everything. Just sucks that they are so heavy. But they'll work in a pinch. If you go with the "engine swap" shorty headers, they have to dump out at the rear of the motor.. that's the only place for room for all the pipes to exit at. my whole project has been on hold for YEARS and parts are spread out between 2 different parts of town in 2 buildings or I'd have put pics on here years ago. The "big car" headers i have clear EVERYTHING except the unibody frame. One company made these headers but modified the last 8 inches to angle in towards the trans and clear the frame. There was then a "Y" pipe made that joined the collectors right behind the trans pan and off to the side where the normal exhaust runs.

I wish all those pics were still on the Performance Years pontiac website. It was a VERY well done setup. And the engine fit the bay perfectly. The opening picture on this thread is what you get when you try to just dump in a pontiac motor with pontiac mounts. It sits up WAAAY too high. And once completely assembled with tranny and tranny mount, the motor will all be tilted back causing even more clearance problems. Anyways.. pretty sure this has been said numerous times thruout the thread, but people still keep talkin about it and asking about it to no avail.

ANyways.. It'd prob help if others started posting their pictures of whatever they have going on and of anything they've encounters or come up with to solve a problem.
swimster is offline  
Old 07-06-2008, 01:50 PM
  #249  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Clawson, MI
Posts: 188
Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: TBI 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by swimster View Post
THe pontiac engines in relation to the mounts.... if you measure the crankshaft centerline on a pontiac in relation to the mounts, and measure a chevy motor the same way, you will see that the pontiac motor mounts of any kind will just not work. Thye will leave your engine raised up about 3 inches higher than it should be.. this throws off your drivetrain geometry by alot.. this is also the reason many people find the need to use a cowl hood. I have "mocked" my complete engine in my firebird body with the crank in the correct position/height, and with a Torker manifold, Q-jet, and 3" aircleaner, it all fit with no problem. Only problem I had with anything clearing was the alternator setup. This, as far as the 1973 brackets that were holding it on, needs to be relocated.

As for manifolds.. Last time i looked, (couple years ago), you can buy reproduction Ram-Air manifolds. they exit straight down, so clearance is not an issue. they will clear everything. Just sucks that they are so heavy. But they'll work in a pinch. If you go with the "engine swap" shorty headers, they have to dump out at the rear of the motor.. that's the only place for room for all the pipes to exit at. my whole project has been on hold for YEARS and parts are spread out between 2 different parts of town in 2 buildings or I'd have put pics on here years ago. The "big car" headers i have clear EVERYTHING except the unibody frame. One company made these headers but modified the last 8 inches to angle in towards the trans and clear the frame. There was then a "Y" pipe made that joined the collectors right behind the trans pan and off to the side where the normal exhaust runs.

I wish all those pics were still on the Performance Years pontiac website. It was a VERY well done setup. And the engine fit the bay perfectly. The opening picture on this thread is what you get when you try to just dump in a pontiac motor with pontiac mounts. It sits up WAAAY too high. And once completely assembled with tranny and tranny mount, the motor will all be tilted back causing even more clearance problems. Anyways.. pretty sure this has been said numerous times thruout the thread, but people still keep talkin about it and asking about it to no avail.

ANyways.. It'd prob help if others started posting their pictures of whatever they have going on and of anything they've encounters or come up with to solve a problem.
Yep got that, use the aftermarket conversion mounts to get the engine in the right position which only cost like $80 to $90 (or make your own). Dump in a th350 and mod the crossmember, or alternativly use a adapter kit ($90) retain your 700r4 or get a BOP pattern 200r4 from a G-body. Either make a set of custom header or use either stock 2nd gen F-body manifolds (bad performance) or spring for a set of repo ram air manifolds ($500). As far as the alternator goes you can either change the mounting setup or from the pics I've seen its only a little off you could probably modify the bracket. Stock radiator should be up to the task if not the aftermarket has a TON of stock mounting radiators for our cars. Exhaust is pretty straight forward stuff just run your own and have it dump before the rear wheels or have a Y-pipe made and have it go into a free flowing 3" aftermarket catback system. Plumb up fuel and sending units and your good to go. I would think that weld in subframe connectors with this setup would be a must for any mill making decent power.

I think that's about it. From everything I've seen its not that bad of a swap people just make it out worse than it is. It would probably take about the same effort to drop in a 454 or something like that and I would bet you couldn't keep your stock hood either. The nice thing about this swap is. 1. if your a pontiac guy then you have a true blue poncho engine in your car to brag about and. 2. If you do it right the car looks completley stock and you have a awesome sleeper with tons of torque.

Last edited by Formula_Fire; 07-06-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Formula_Fire is offline  
Old 07-14-2008, 11:23 PM
  #250  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
dwillis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Beech Bluff,TN
Posts: 751
Car: 1991 Trans Am Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:08
Re: Pontiac V8 Swaps

Originally Posted by Formula_Fire View Post
Yep got that, use the aftermarket conversion mounts to get the engine in the right position which only cost like $80 to $90 (or make your own). Dump in a th350 and mod the crossmember, or alternativly use a adapter kit ($90) retain your 700r4 or get a BOP pattern 200r4 from a G-body. Either make a set of custom header or use either stock 2nd gen F-body manifolds (bad performance) or spring for a set of repo ram air manifolds ($500). As far as the alternator goes you can either change the mounting setup or from the pics I've seen its only a little off you could probably modify the bracket. Stock radiator should be up to the task if not the aftermarket has a TON of stock mounting radiators for our cars. Exhaust is pretty straight forward stuff just run your own and have it dump before the rear wheels or have a Y-pipe made and have it go into a free flowing 3" aftermarket catback system. Plumb up fuel and sending units and your good to go. I would think that weld in subframe connectors with this setup would be a must for any mill making decent power.

I think that's about it. From everything I've seen its not that bad of a swap people just make it out worse than it is. It would probably take about the same effort to drop in a 454 or something like that and I would bet you couldn't keep your stock hood either. The nice thing about this swap is. 1. if your a pontiac guy then you have a true blue poncho engine in your car to brag about and. 2. If you do it right the car looks completley stock and you have a awesome sleeper with tons of torque.
I have done this mod but used a carb.I did it with a T-5 like back in 1996 when there were no cnversion kits and made all the brackets out of just stuff laying around,oh and also kept the air on the car.with a stock 305 radiator the car was a 1987 T/A if I remember correctly..boy there were quite some engineered pieces on it and my dumb a$$ didn't take any pics either...goodluck guy...Dave
dwillis is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pontiac V8 Swaps


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: