Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

Need help with carb 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350 Carb
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Need help with carb 350

I have a trans am with a carb 350 and i was wondering if i could swap a truck 350 i have in there. Is there any difference in these engines or is it just the drivetrain. let me know thank you
Old 04-28-2006, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 - Z28
Engine: 350 / CCC Q-Jet
Transmission: THM-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt - 3.73
Originally Posted by 89 Camaro RS V8
I have a trans am with a carb 350 and i was wondering if i could swap a truck 350 i have in there. Is there any difference in these engines or is it just the drivetrain. let me know thank you
89 Camaro RS V8,

It depends on the year of the truck. But the heads will definately be different. Older truck engines have the dipsticks on the Dr. Side and rear seals can be two-part, newer engines are one piece seals. There may be few other minor differences you'd never notice but the biggies will be the heads and the flex-plate/flywheel if the engine is older.

Since (to the best of my knowledge) no '89 ever came with a Carb you probably don't have a stock engine anyway. Unless someone foolishly (IMPO) removed the TPI in favor of a carb IMPO - DUH!.

The remainder of your driveline should be no problem assuming you don't have the two-piece/one-piece conflict.

Need more info on the year of the serial number of the truck motor and the heads to give you more specific information.

Kurt
Old 04-28-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 350 Carb
Transmission: 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.73
This isnt actually for my 89 camaro its for my 86 Trans am. No its not the original engine i know that for sure. I believe its from an 80 camaro but i am not possitive since the guy i bought it from is a moron. I dont know about the heads on the engine from the truck which is a 79 chevy but i can get the numbers off the trans am if that would help. And if you are wondering why the guy is a moron its because after i bought it and drove it a while it started to knock and when i drained the oil guess what i found? 8 ****ing quarts. Im pretty sure that one of the bearings is ****ed but i havent touched it since it started knocking. I am having trouble finding a carb 350 that is within distance for me to buy that is from a camaro or T/A so i thought the truck engine might be an acceptable substitute cause the car isnt worth trying to set it up for fuel injection again. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1982 - Z28
Engine: 350 / CCC Q-Jet
Transmission: THM-700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt - 3.73
One of the Oldest Tricks in the Book!

Originally Posted by 89 Camaro RS V8
8 ****ing quarts.

Well.... The reason it had 8 quarts was because the "MORON" knew the rod(s) were bad and he was trying to quite down the engine. That's a very OLD trick, that's probably been around since the first gasoline engine was invented. I've actually heard of guys filling the crankcase with SAE 30 (or thicker) to get an engine to "SOUND" better. I've even seen folks mention the trick on these boards pretty darn nasty thing to do...... BUYER BEWARE!

Get the engines and heads serial numbers and you'll certainly get more valuable information. A '79 and an '80 engine should both be Two-Piece rear seal engines but get the numbers to be absolutely sure!

You don't need to find a "CARB" 350. The blocks are all the same except for the number of main rod bolts, rear main seal configuration, & dipstick. The heads ARE different, but to be perfectly honest, my son's '82 has mildly ported and heavilly polished '74 Truck Heads". We installed an Original Equipment GM Z-28 4-Barrel Intake and a Rochester E4ME (Completely Computer Controlled) carb. Aside from a VERY mild CompCam it's stone stock. Let me tell you this "THAT CAR IS CRAZY QUICK AND VERY POWERFUL!.... In the future he may add some aftermarket heads but for now it's absolutely perfect.

Sincerely,
Kurt

Engine ID Help:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/atta...g?d=1123469974