Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

emmisions dilema

Old 10-30-2000, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emmisions dilema

Im planning on doing either a 383 or 350 motor swap into my 85 TA in the spring. I want to run a mini-ram which dumps the egr system, the smog pump is gone already etc... I'll be swapping out the computer with the new Accel Commander DFI and will be running a catalytic. If I swap out the "regular" cam for the mildest cam on the planet( will have to do every 2 years) and really fine tune the computer, should I be able to pass the sniffer test. There is no visual inspection here. I just have to beat that computerized nose. Do I have a chance?
Thanks
Brian
some more info : I plan on using forged pistons, AFR heads, etc. Im shooting for the 400 hp neigborhood on the "regular cam". Then Im gonna squeeeze it with a 150 shot. This car will be a weekend warrior only.

[This message has been edited by Smash (edited October 30, 2000).]
Old 10-30-2000, 06:51 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Depending on your levels, you should be able to run a fairly decent cam and still meet emission standards based on what others have done. I believe the ZZ9 cam is suppose to be able to meet California's Emission Level, though I am not sure if it is CARB certified.

One thing to consider is getting your extra lift with 1.6 rockers and switching to 1.5s when it comes time for emissions. Somewhere I even read that there are 1.35 roller rockers available for SBC. So that can help bringing you onside if your cam is a bit too wild to pass emissions.