Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

LO3 305 OEM externals on LT1 5.7 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc-z
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5 T56 needs rebuild
Axle/Gears: 2.77 POSI with Disc brakes 9 bolt
LO3 305 OEM externals on LT1 5.7 swap

I have a 92 RS T5 Trans LO3 TBI V8 and I am looking to swap for a LT1 with T56. I have been a real good cookie and scoured on the forms for weeks with some unanswered questions.
I am looking to keep the 305 OEM pully assembly and wire into the existing harness to keep things as stock OEM as possible. I know the sensors and so forth will be different for the LT1. Thus the unanswered questions.

I am not too worried about performance gains I simply want to drop in a LT1 with as minimal modifications as possible. I want every wire, accessory connector to look as stock as possible. I have re-badged the car and mimicked my Old 88 Iroc as much as possible. IE, Stereo, Steering wheel, replaced dash gauges, heater blower motor. What I could not change or revert to I have hidden. It is essential my old 88 Iroc now heck 50% of the parts in it are from my Iroc even the side skirts and front bumper, hood and so forth. It took me forever and a day to find the Bilstein shocks that where a part of the original package. Purely for austerity reasons!
My goal is to have someone look at it and be completely unable to tell the Lt1 is even in there.

If I get a stand alone fuel & ignition system and tuck in behind the side fender, would it be possible to run TBI with bigger injectors/fuel pump?

Or would it be cheaper/easier to wire in the Stock LT1 PCM and buy the TPI
Fuel pump, Fuel lines, power steering lines and find a radiator hose. Then alter the Cross member to fit the AC. then try to hide it as much as possible IE engine cover.

And for the t56 trans. I know people use 4th gen pedals and cut there shifter hole a tad bigger use a different cross-member and so forth.
I have heard rumors some members here use some kind of adapter on the line to use there original clutch pedal
Can anyone direct me in the right direction for this?
And will I need to change the drive shaft or could I use a different pinion yolk?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Hope I am not forgetting anything.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:14 PM

Car: 1991 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Re: LO3 305 OEM externals on LT1 5.7 swap

I know hardly anything about the 2nd gen motors since they had such a short run before GM pulled the plug, and there is little aftermarket support.

All I can really add to this conversation is if your goal is to be unable to tell the LTI is even there, then you probably are going to have to do an engine cover like you had mentioned.
Nothing screams LTI like an Optispark hanging off the front of the engine by the water pump.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Iroc-z
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: T5 T56 needs rebuild
Axle/Gears: 2.77 POSI with Disc brakes 9 bolt
Re: LO3 305 OEM externals on LT1 5.7 swap

Originally Posted by Zane M
I know hardly anything about the 2nd gen motors since they had such a short run before GM pulled the plug, and there is little aftermarket support.

All I can really add to this conversation is if your goal is to be unable to tell the LTI is even there, then you probably are going to have to do an engine cover like you had mentioned.
Nothing screams LTI like an Optispark hanging off the front of the engine by the water pump.
Yeah optispark protrusion is unfortunate that will need a cover, the good thing though thin sheet metal molds easily enough with a hammer. Maybe I could use the Intake from the 305 and drop in a distributor and delete optispark... Worthless optispark

But the intake, valve covers and so forth, then the accessory pulley's being my biggest concern.
Maybe an older style block is a better bet?

Last edited by RicerEater; 07-10-2016 at 04:44 PM.