Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

70's 350 in a 92 RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '92 Camaro RS
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 5-speed manual
70's 350 in a 92 RS

Hello All,

I have been offered a 70's 350 out of a pickup of some sort (haven't been to look at it yet because I want to learn a little before I get my hopes up). I have been doing a lot of reading lately about what its going to take to put this in my 92 RS (3.1L 5-speed) and seem to be getting a lot of mixed messages. My goal is to still be able to get it inspected in PA so I'm not sure if this is even going to be possible. Here's some of what I have been told and what I have read. If anyone has more detailed info or can point out the things that are correct and incorrect I would appreciate it.

Also I plan to be carbureted and not using computer control... So here's the info that I've read and been told.:

1: Id have to change the oil pan and motor mounts
2. I would need a different transmission
3. The fuel pump would need to be rewired or replaced
4. front suspension would need to be replaced.
5. Wiring obviously needs to be modified
6. exhaust I would need converters (which I already figured anyways) and headers
7. Tach would need to be replaced (assuming from an already V8 3rd Gen Camaro)
8. I may need a smog pump (not sure if that can be added on an older engine mostly because I don't understand how they work yet.)

These are the things that I can think of off the top if my head that I have been told or read lately. Any of this sound right? any of it being over thought? Am I getting my hopes up over something that may not be possible?

Thank you for any help and this is obviously my first time considering an engine project like this so I hope its ok that I have a lot of what may sound like dumb questions but are honestly things I would like to know even if they cant be done.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Re: 70's 350 in a 92 RS

Also I plan to be carbureted and not using computer control...
Step 1 - find out what emissions requires in your area.
Step 2 - look here: https://www.thirdgen.org/technical-articles/
Old 05-28-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by NoEmissions84TA
Also I plan to be carbureted and not using computer control...
Step 1 - find out what emissions requires in your area.
Step 2 - look here: https://www.thirdgen.org/technical-articles/

thank you gor this link... there is a lot of information on there. I’ve only browsed a few things so far but plan to do a lot more reading...
Old 05-28-2018, 10:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

You probably don't want it. 70's truck engines tend to be smog strangled to death, dished pistons, large chamber heads, poor quality. If it needs to be rebuilt, it'll cost more than buying a much later 350 crate engine with roller camshaft, improved sealing/gaskets, better heads, etc. If it doesn't need a full rebuild, it probably at least needs to be resealed, and it'll be low output (slow) unless you do something about the compression ratio and truck cam.

Then you get into the fun stuff. Since GM never put a V8 of that vintage into a thirdgen, all kinds of things from accessory brackets to the starter might not have matching mounting holes in the engine block/heads. Stock V8 manifolds won't fit early V8s because the dipstick is on the wrong side of the block on older engines. If the block is old enough, it might not have provisions for a thirdgen starter that would work with a 153 tooth flywheel.

But wait, there's more! Since the car is a V6, everything that attaches to the engine, or from the car to the engine, is different. So all the exhaust, fuel lines, fuel pump, accessories, battery cables, the cooling system, hoses, etc. Motor mounts... Transmission... It's all different.

Depending on how strict your local emissions standards are, you might only be able to install a system equal to or newer than the emissions system originally on the car. In which case, you can't get away with a carburetor swap. Fuel injection makes things that much more complicated and expensive.

So I guess the point is that you probably should budget about $5k to do a V8 swap. Figure on having at least $2k in a decent engine, another $1k in a good trans, $1k in quality headers and exhaust, and probably at least another $1k in odds and ends. That's assuming you don't do anything fancy or exotic.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars

Drew makes some very good points.
If you can, find a V8 82-92 Camaro or Firebird that has everything you need to do a side-by-side swap.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:18 AM

That’s sort of what I expected to hear that’s why I didn’t want get plannon doing it until I knew more info...

the engine in it it I was told had a mild cam, if never heard of that being done to a 6cyl however I’m told that it’s quite coming from a few people lately. Also headers on a 6cyl? I’ve never done much with the 6 cal engines so I really know nothing about them at all. I know it does have a cold air intake.

i guess my next question then would be if I just keep the 6cyl in the car what are my options for at least making it feel like it’s got something with some pep in it... it sounds nice the way it is but I’d like to feel it when I let the clutch out...

thank again guys guys for the info and advice, I do appreciate it.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Have a look at the V6 sub-forum, just take it with a big grain of salt. Realistically, options are a bit limited for V8 thirdgens, the V6s have even less aftermarket support. A few people have done custom turbocharger installs, and there's the sub-set that has mixed and matched parts from other engines in the same GM V6 family to make the most of the platform, but it's beyond the scope of what I have the patience for.

The V8 swap isn't terribly difficult, or expensive in the grand scheme of things, it's just more than most people want to deal with. The short cuts that people take to make it easier usually end up compromising the car. To do it right, takes commitment.

By far the easiest, quickest, most cost effective way to get V8 power is to sell a 6cyl and buy a V8 car. It doesn't take much to justify when you consider that V6 cars don't sell for significantly less than a V8, and the cost and effort to make the upgrade isn't insignificant.