Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Hedman LT Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Hedman LT Install

After about 12 hours of trying to install the headers, we are almost through. Ran into some problems and even after searching for answers some were still unclear.

Drivers Side - One thing that no one has mentioned that has to be done is the removal of the oil filter. That was the only major clearance problem we ran into w/ the drivers side. Other than that, it was really not that bad.

Passenger Side - This one is a little more challenging than the driver side. The main problem that i am having here is that someone that owned the car before me broke the front two manifold bolts off in the block. This is hampering us from completing the header install.

Other than those few problems the install was really not that bad.

I have one question though, will the x-tensions from Jeg's allow me the clearance to bolt my mufflers on w/o hitting the floor pan? I also have to figure out a way to put a flange on the end of the x-tension so that i don't have to weld the mufflers on.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:32 PM

Car: 1989 rs camaro, 1990 jeep wrangler, 1995 eagle talon tsi awd
Engine: nothing right now
Transmission: j.w. performance th350 3500 10" stall... soon to be t56
after installing two seperate sets of hedman longtubes on two seperate f- bodies, ive never had to remove the oil filter. with that said, yes, the x-tensions will work perfect with those headers, but maybe you will want to put the mufflers a little farther back than right off the x-tensions b/c of ground clearance

Old 12-24-2003, 03:37 PM

Car: 90 Formula, 02 ws6
Engine: 305 tpi, ls1
Transmission: 700r4, t-56
Axle/Gears: stock posi 2.73, 12 bolt with 4.11s
i may be interested in putting llong tubes on my 89

are these good headers to use and that are the x-tensions?

thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
x-tensions

i love my hedman longtubes. i don't see why others don't use them. i mean, 1 5/8" primaries, 3" collectors, easy installation, and the plugs are fairly easy to get to (with a/c delete box)
Old 12-25-2003, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.1L Gen III
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
Originally posted by mw66nova
x-tensions
i love my hedman longtubes. i don't see why others don't use them. i mean, 1 5/8" primaries, 3" collectors, easy installation, and the plugs are fairly easy to get to (with a/c delete box)
I think the main thing is people don't realized that long tubes aren't much harder to install than short tubes. Also ground clearance is hurt. I wouldn't lower my car now ever because of the exhaust. I'm fine I just have to go slow over speed bumps. I think the other problem is people don't talk about the scavenging affects of headers they only talk about flow which is only part of the equation. I've talked to people who saw little to no gain with short tubes on a fairly stock car, whereas others say they felt an increase in power, I think part of this is because "feeling" your car is faster is affected by how loud the car is.

Just wondering has anyone installed long tubes and felt or got no increase in power/ets? For some reason my hedmans were a little harder to install than what others have had but it wasn't too bad compared to replaceing the sagging motor mounts i should have replaced 8 monthes before-GTA springs are a bitch even with a spring compressor!
Old 12-25-2003, 03:54 PM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
I've got the hedman longtubes, and they aren't totally done. I have been having problems getting the driver side header off the frame. Initially it was the A arm mount, but after trying to clearance the header with no results I cut the A arm mount like others have done. Now, the new spot is on the #3 cylinder (second back on driver side). I had notched this cylinder before but not enough. I should be able to do it easily after taking that header back off and using the hammer a little more.

As far as feeling the difference... with no basic or no mods like me you don't feel very much down low, but once you get up into the high RPM's the power just doesn't stop. With an upgraded/high flow intake I should feel this even more. The TPI has amazing bottom end as it is, and with longtubes and high flow intake, you just got power everywhere.

Ryan