Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Why don't they have it for my year?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: 305 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
Why don't they have it for my year?

My brother has a 82 z28 with a 350, and i have a 83 with a 305.We both want to put in dual exhausts, but are having trouble finding ones that are offered for our cars. I've looked in Summit and am very interested in their flowmaster kit, but it says it's only offered from 86-92. Why is that and can i still use the kit without alot of modification? What kits have you guys used on your early model third gens? I used the search button but didn't find anything that answered my questions very well. Any info would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2004, 09:28 AM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Nobody offers a true dual exhaust system that's worth a bucket of spit.

The aftermarket specs exhaust systems that will bolt to the factory exhaust parts. The early years varied in what they used from year to year, and it wasn't very good, anyway. In '86 they started being a little more consistent, and the TPI single-cat system was their best effort (although the dual cat option had a little more power - you can make just as much with aftermarket single-cat systems).

If you order parts for the '86-'90 TPI single-cat application from exhaust ports to rear bumper, they will fit your engine and route within your chassis. There are many choices for that application, and they will typically support more power than the typical street driven car makes.

If you want full dual exhaust, your header choices will be more limited (because of the "y"-pipe), and you're going to have to fabricate everything from the cats back.

If you say, "But I don't want cats, and I want real dual exhaust like they used to make them," you are talking about full exhaust fabrication and a real reduction in ground clearance.

The stickies at the top of this forum cover all of this.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 AM

Car: 1983 Camaro
Engine: 305 4bbl
Transmission: 700r4
I want true dual exhausts. I'm looking at the hooker headers they have in the sticky about what headers will work. When i looked them up it also only included 86-92. Does this mean they wont work?
So basicaly i have to fabricate and cut my own exhaust pipes to fit. Do i buy a kit from a company and do that or do i buy peices seperatly? I want three inch pipes. Where did everyone get their exhausts from and what brand are they? Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I was looking for something else when I came across this again.

You aren't going to "need" dual 3" exhaust with any 350 you drive on the street. 2-1/2" will be more than enough (2-1/4" would do in most cases).

There is no dual "kit". Get that out of your head. Mufflex makes a y-pipe for the long-tube headers, but that goes to a single pipe to the muffler.

You are talking about custom fabrication. There is no way around it. If you want 3" duals, you are going to hurt ground clearance. Our cars weren't made like they made them in the "old days". You can buy lengths of straight pipe and mandrel bends, cut & weld to get around where you need to go. The only other alternative is to take it to an exhaust shop (notice I didn't say "muffler shop") and have them do it for you. For a good mandrel-bent dual 3" system that is half-way tucked up for clearance that has good mufflers, I'd say be prepared to spend at least $1000 (and that doesn't include the headers).

There are times when being in touch with reality pays big dividends. This is one of them. A single 3" system that you can bolt in will handle most any street-driven SBC-powered 3rd gen.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:02 PM

Car: 94 Corvette
Engine: LT-1
Transmission: Freakin Automatic---For Now
I'll second that five7. Having a muffler welded in is cheap, having a custom exhaust system built is not. Believe me, I know. If you are ever even remotely thinking about lowering your car, stay the hell away from true duals. My system is 3" manderl bent routed the factory way and I have dick for ground clearance. Between my cut-out and the tarmac, I've got MAYBE 2.5 inches. That ain't spit when you are talking speed bumps etc... Unless you are planning a blown big block you'll never need 3" duals. Look into a good 3" cat-back and a set of headers. I'd suggest shorties, for ground clearance issues, but you can do long tubes.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:31 PM

Car: 83 Brlntta in Z28 clothing
Engine: 305 LB9 POS until 350....
Transmission: hurting 5 spd- Crunchy...
yeah, I'm in the same boat- Seems nothing is offered for an 83. I don't want duals though, and I'm willing to settle for 2.5 or 3 inch. As I've already got my hedman shorties and y pipe, am I getting this right that I could get a high flow cat and a catback system for an 86 and it'd bolt up? Then why don't they advertise them as for 83's? If anyone could recommend a specific system that they know will work out of the Summit or Jegs catalog that'd be great.

-Z-
Old 06-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
If your going single 3", just get the headers have a exhaust shop make you a 3" Y-pipe and 3" pipe all the way back to a muffler and a turn down, that what I did, only cost $140 including install. As true duals, I see no problem in running true duals without cats (cant say anything w/ cats). Instead of making the Y-pipe come together just run both pipes straight back, I looked at my car and I should have done it this way, thier is plenty of room to run 2 3" pipes back through the passenger side. I agree with five7, you dont NEED 3" duals, but damn it helps though, hella loud with just 3" single.