Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

hmm.. deciding between hookers, flowtech, or custom headers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 350
Transmission: T56
hmm.. deciding between hookers, flowtech, or custom headers?

hmm, I've been deciding for a two months now, which shorty headers to get.
a few friends says go with hookers, cause they are a leading brand, but some others says dont get them, cause thier not worth buying for so much, but instead getting flowtech headers, and my friend who rebuilt a camaro, put a 350 in it, and he had flowtech on, and they sound nice and pretty loud.

later today, im getting my paycheck, and Im trying to choose from, hookers, flowtechs, or get custom shortys (but I do know they do cut off alot of the gas milages and I dont really want that, and thier pretty loud.)

so anyone with ideas which ones I should get? Im looking for a pair that is pretty loud, but yet, a little more power, air flow, and hope it isnt a pair that will eat my gas up.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:04 PM

Car: 86 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LG4 4BBL
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 327
Re: hmm.. deciding between hookers, flowtech, or custom headers?

Short headers cut gas milage?? Hmm.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Car: 89 RS
Engine: lo3
Transmission: 700R4 w/ B&M shift improver
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt posi

headers will only inprove your milage if your driving habits dont change. They'd have to be a really really poor design to make it worse.

Peoples milage goes down b/c its more fun to drive WOT w/ exhaust mods than without. More WOT = worse milage.

Any breather mod (heads, intake, exhaust) should increase your milage, but its too much fun to beat the **** out of it when you're done.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM

very true..
a couple friends of mine said it would cut the gas milage down and I was thinking "wtf, alright, whatever you say".
I dont know much about headers, but I guess I shoulda figured the ones that told me that the gas milage down, doesnt know half the knowledge I know about cars.
anyway, Im thinking about just getting the custom shorties, they may be a bit loud, but it doesnt really matter around here, we only have three sheriff officers supporting our town, all our police force quit at all the same time, so thier never around, unless its really important. and I have a friend who got custom headers and thier pretty deep and loud, and the police dont have a problem with it, unless he rev it up.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LSX (swapping)
Transmission: 4L60E (swapping)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Posi 10 Bolt

I saw a set of Hookers and they are about the same quality as my Flowtech's. I think Hooker owns Flowtech anyways. I'd go with the Flowtech's for sure.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:40 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's

I think the board favorite is the Hooker 2055's. If you haven't checked the sticky at the top of the page, you may find some helpful info there.

JamesC

Last edited by JamesC; 12-04-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:45 PM

I've seen and read that, it was pretty useful, and I've checked and heard sounds of flowmasters and hookers... some vids and sound clips I wasnt too fond of it :-[
im more looking for something a little more low and aggressive tone to it...
and im sure alot of people on here have heard that before, of the wannabes who wants to have aloud exhaust for a cheap price... I dont care for price and willing to go for anything aslong im gonna be satisfied with it..
Old 12-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89' IROC-Z
Engine: LO3
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10-Bolt/2.73

Well with what you just said, I'd say check out some video clips of different exhausts with different headers.

Then get back to us....but my vote goes to the Hooker 2460's (Emissions ILLEGAL) which are the same as 2055's except 2055's have the emissions tubing still attached.

Flowtech is another I hear many good things and not many bad things about....but shear away from those and SLP and your sure to get bad quality headers.

REMEMBER: You get what you pay for.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 PM

Yeah, Thanks.
I dont want something Too loud, but yet, not too quiet either..
when the car idels (yeah Im sure I spelt that wrong, but I just got off work, ahaha im really tired) its quiet like its not even on at all, but when its going or revved up, its pretty loud (true duel glasspack exhaust) but the glasspacks I got are really strange.. not really anything I've heard of before.
Anyway, back the the subject, I'll keep on searching through vids and sound clips and ask more about people's suggestions, cant really get the headers now since I payed a couple bills off, and im quitting my job soon and hoping to get another.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:54 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW

Shift is right, Flowtech and Hooker are both Holley performance brands. I have Flowtechs for now and they seem to be just fine. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to a 1 3/4 if I change engines, but for a basic header and y-pipe, I don't think you can beat the price. I have had them on here for about 4 years and many miles with no issues. I'd recommend using better gaskets than what they include, at the very least some Mr. Gasket Ultra Seals.
----------
Also forgot to mention, when my car was TBI, I got a best of 26 mpg with the air on.

Last edited by TA In Progress; 12-13-2007 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No contest, go with Hookers. The Flowtechs have puny collectors and don't flow anywhere near as good. The primary pipes are only 1-1/2" and the collectors are either 2 or 2-1/4". Do a search on them here and you'll see what I'm talking about. Putting headers on your car will do absolutely nothing to your gas milage. If anything, they'll improve it by making your engine more efficient. Actually, never mind the search, just read the sticky post "thirdgen header option chart" at the top of the forum. The first entry of that post by Anesthes will tell you all you need to know about the Flowtechs.

Last edited by Pat Hall; 12-15-2007 at 10:14 AM. Reason: read sticky post
Old 12-23-2007, 03:23 AM

well, I got the headers I wanted I guess, I went with the racing headers, my friend said thier just like the headers he got, but thier purple hornets (I think thats what thier called) he also wanted to do some adjusting with the headers, im pretty sure it wouldnt be good for the whole law thing, but it dont really matter what the law is here.. police never around and too many people run around here in town with out even an exhaust.

well, I was wondering, I still have my stock manifold of the engine, do I have to make adjustments like cutting and welding to make these shortys fit? my friend they should work with out making cutting and welding.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Corvette, 89 IROC, 1999 TA
Engine: 350, 350, LS1
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4, T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.07, 373, 4.10

Did you get a matching y pipe with them? If not you will need to have a y pipe fabbed up. Never heard of that brand you mentioned.. at least they arn't flowtechs they're really small and crappy. What size primaries and collectors do your headers have?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:12 AM

my car doesnt have y-pipe, I already had this exhaust system done, true duel glasspack exhaust, and the last owner did a weird set up. I just went with the cheap summit racing headers, Im pretty sure alot of people dislikes them or just being cheap with money, but I spent $400 for christmas and I only had $80 for my self for x-mas, so I got these.
the size primaries is 1 1/2 in and the collector is 2.500 in.
me and few of my friends are putting these on tommrow morning and some engine chrome dress ups.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Originally Posted by ssxmac
Peoples milage goes down b/c its more fun to drive WOT w/ exhaust mods than without. More WOT = worse milage.
Hahahaha, aint that the truth! I'm always looking for an excuse to listen to my exhaust these days... Im sure I'd get better mileage if I could drive it the way I normally do, but I have a hard time doing that while listening to it.