Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Side Exit through the rocker, high ground clearance, 304 SS Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: Jerico
Axle/Gears: Aluminum 8.6 w/ T2R
Re: Side Exit through the rocker, high ground clearance, 304 SS Exhaust

Originally Posted by BlackenedBird
OK....I highlighted what my questions are about. One person says 16.5lbs, another says 19.5 but also says they are ?far? lighter. Yet only 1-2lbs lighter than the other he lists. Typos? What weight are they?
This thread is about side exit exhaust, not wheels or radiators. But to answer your question Jeremy (1meanz) is a fool and he is wrong, and I am right (he’s a friend of mine so I can say that)
Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
Hedmans are cheap, and I guess you dont like the 1 and 5/8s primaries? I've seen way too many cars do VERY well with those to worry about that primary size too much.
<snip>
I think pretty highly of the Hedmans from my experience with them and seeing them on friends cars. They have proably gone up in price these last couple of years though.
I'm not afraid of 1 5/8, thats what I have now and it is prolly best for my engine HP anyways.
I thought about Headmans and actually called and asked how low they hung. They said “their long tubes, so yeah, they hang low”. So how far below the frame rails are they?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Name:  100_9027.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  90.6 KB

They're pretty much even with the flat portion of the frame rails at their lowest point. A little corner of the A-arm perch has to be trimmed and it needs a BFH on one of the primaries to clear the steering box, but it's not bad. It's a pretty simple, easy install.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 09-08-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.

Are you saying Speedline made the wheels for GM to put on their Z06s? I definitely did not know that...

Sucks that they're lighter... now I gotta find a factory set of them when the aftermarket sets are affordable and available. But all the factory sets I see are black or chrome, I would only get them if I could find them in Comp Gray. Do you know if the black/chrome factory wheels are the same weight or not?

Also, after checking his f-bodymotorsports page where he didnt mention anything about it, do you know if he's using a stock style radiator or does he have a behemoth rad with a giant fan in there? Do you even need fans on road race cars?
Thats typically true for almost all aftermarket factory replica wheels. They are usually heavier, and in the cases of the poorer products way less balanced.

Its whats kept me away from most of the aftermarket wheels that are replica's of factory rims.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

Originally Posted by BIG_MODS
This thread is about side exit exhaust, not wheels or radiators. But to answer your question Jeremy (1meanz) is a fool and he is wrong, and I am right (he’s a friend of mine so I can say that)
i gladly accept the jackass award for my performance. I posted the numbers from memory and clearly my memory is defective. I am glad however that I took the opportunity to toss a handfull of sand and mud in BIGMODS' engine last time he had it out. His engine got a little extra "break in compound" when he ran in for a beer....

I echo many of the sentiments here about factory vs aftermarket wheels. I am not afraid of aftermarket wheels for the street on street tires, but so far I've been VERY hesitant to run aftermarket wheels on slicks in a competition environment. Many aftermarket wheels are only rated for 1400-1600lb load. so if your car weighs 3400lbs and will pull north of 1G on slicks (which most will) you've already exceeded the maximum load capacity of the wheels. Scary to think about while taking a turn at 80mph on a road course.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
i gladly accept the jackass award for my performance. I posted the numbers from memory and clearly my memory is defective. I am glad however that I took the opportunity to toss a handfull of sand and mud in BIGMODS' engine last time he had it out. His engine got a little extra "break in compound" when he ran in for a beer....

I echo many of the sentiments here about factory vs aftermarket wheels. I am not afraid of aftermarket wheels for the street on street tires, but so far I've been VERY hesitant to run aftermarket wheels on slicks in a competition environment. Many aftermarket wheels are only rated for 1400-1600lb load. so if your car weighs 3400lbs and will pull north of 1G on slicks (which most will) you've already exceeded the maximum load capacity of the wheels. Scary to think about while taking a turn at 80mph on a road course.
You should help him do a C4 IRS swap and see what the rule books say about that.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
You should help him do a C4 IRS swap and see what the rule books say about that.
I have a muscle car, why ruin that?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Supreme Member

I have a muscle car, why ruin that?
I'd put a IRS on the car in a heartbeat. Thats where we differ, I don't see them as Muscle Cars. To me they are 2+2 Sports Cars. If I had a garage and knew how to weld well I'd be ripping the 10bolt out of the car and buying of a C4 rear assembly.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 PM

I am glad however that I took the opportunity to toss a handfull of sand and mud in BIGMODS' engine last time he had it out. His engine got a little extra "break in compound" when he ran in for a beer....
Agh that’s good for the valve seats.. gets them lapped in good!
Old 11-02-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 2002 SS LS1
Transmission: 6 speed
Axle/Gears: Auburn 3.42

wow cool car! well built.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 350 (5.7) TPI
Transmission: WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 POSI

Sound clip?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Did I see your car at the SEMA show last week in the paddock?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by paul_huryk
Did I see your car at the SEMA show last week in the paddock?
If you were there you might have
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Supreme Member

If you were there you might have
Hm, they must have had a rat rod section?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

Hm, they must have had a rat rod section?
Actually it was sitting outside near the entrance to the North Hall - by the wheel and tire section, there was every type of car you can imagine there - from lowriders to race cars to monster trucks...

Nice car! Took a few pics of it.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Hope you can see it - it's tagged for public...
Old 11-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the pics Paul! It looks like it is a pretty crappy parking spot because the all the pictures I see are the exact same 2, look a little more than half way down this page: http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...-amp-ends.aspx

Before anyone tells me the numbers are ugly.. I agree and they will get pulled as soon as I get the car back. not my idea
Old 11-10-2011, 02:32 AM
Supreme Member

Before anyone tells me the numbers are ugly.. I agree and they will get pulled as soon as I get the car back. not my idea
LOL...

So you turned your car over to ... whoever "they" are?

I wouldnt out and say the numbers are ugly if you hadn't already admitted such, but I will say I did find it really odd someone who put together a car that was meant to look as clean and sleek as that one would put big blue numbers on it.

Is your spoiler adjustable for downforce? Is it adjusted for the best balance? Im curious to know how much of a spoiler is needed, and at what point it becomes too much and you get understeer in high speed corners.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Supreme Member

Is your spoiler adjustable for downforce? Is it adjusted for the best balance? Im curious to know how much of a spoiler is needed, and at what point it becomes too much and you get understeer in high speed corners.
The spoiler is adjustable. The turnbuckles are anchored through the bumper cover directly onto the rear impact bar. Because of the lexan rear window, the decklid is essentially just a flat piece of sheet that is pinned on(it's more complex than that but you get the idea) He has a piano hinge across the back edge of the "decklid" where the spoiler starts. Height, width, and angle are all important. I think his is at or just under 6" tall, which is kind of a common sense place to start and has worked for others. If you were doing an ORR in Nevada you might only want 4" tall, for autox you might want 8" and obviously you'd change the angle as well.

Ultimately, in the real world with street cars like ours you just give the car what it wants based on how it's handling and how fast you're going on track. For example, I'm about to do a similar setup on my car to take care of a slight loose condition that I'm out of roll-stiffness adjustability to fix. I'll use a 6" spoiler and play with the angle to get just enough to tighten the car up a little. For what we do I view a spoiler as more of a tuning tool to finish the balance of the car. It affords adjustability and a slight increase in grip. I don't view it as a performance mod in and of itself like many others do.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Supreme Member

The spoiler is adjustable. The turnbuckles are anchored through the bumper cover directly onto the rear impact bar. Because of the lexan rear window, the decklid is essentially just a flat piece of sheet that is pinned on(it's more complex than that but you get the idea) He has a piano hinge across the back edge of the "decklid" where the spoiler starts. Height, width, and angle are all important. I think his is at or just under 6" tall, which is kind of a common sense place to start and has worked for others. If you were doing an ORR in Nevada you might only want 4" tall, for autox you might want 8" and obviously you'd change the angle as well.

Ultimately, in the real world with street cars like ours you just give the car what it wants based on how it's handling and how fast you're going on track. For example, I'm about to do a similar setup on my car to take care of a slight loose condition that I'm out of roll-stiffness adjustability to fix. I'll use a 6" spoiler and play with the angle to get just enough to tighten the car up a little. For what we do I view a spoiler as more of a tuning tool to finish the balance of the car. It affords adjustability and a slight increase in grip. I don't view it as a performance mod in and of itself like many others do.
So that big 5+ inch spoiler doesnt create understeer? I guess now that I think about it, the front is going to have more grip because the engine is over it, the spoiler just helps balance it.

cool beans.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:55 PM

My spoiler is almost 8". BlaineFabrication.com makes 5" for ORR, 7" for RR, and 10" for AX. The rule I've heard for adjustment is keep raising it until it lap times go up. I haven't tested that yet, but, I noticed that I lost a couple MPH on the straight at Grattan I'm guessing because A) engine runnning funny and B) addition of a spoiler. Otherwise, too many varables since the last time I drove it at Grattan.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:48 PM

Car: 1991 1LE CAMARO
Engine: 383 TPI W/NOS Fogger Kit
Transmission: WC T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Thank you for the inspiring me to get back into my garage!!! Wow... what a car....