Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird TA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: Stock POSI
Help!!

Busted bolt from exhaust manifold. here are my pics. What is the quickest way to fix this. I have several in mind but I am shure that somone has perfected this common issue. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/album.php?albumid=9070
Old 12-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 firebird
Engine: TBI 305 (built)
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Originally Posted by zaxanllc
Busted bolt from exhaust manifold. here are my pics. What is the quickest way to fix this. I have several in mind but I am shure that somone has perfected this common issue. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/album.php?albumid=9070
Soak all bolts with PB blaster for at least a full day 2 4 hrs while going out and re spraying every 2-4 hrs before even attempting to remove them ...then u need a set of what I call reverse ease outs they look like a socket with a sharp swirl inside u just tap em on with a small hammer and it gets tighter the harder u turn the ratchet or wrench ... they are made by Irwin I think AZ has em ....

Also a little heat with a propane torch never hurts .... heat up till orange then quickly cool off with Wd 40 this should break it loose and allow the PB blaster to Penetrate better
Old 12-06-2014, 07:29 AM

Re: Help!!

I turned the manifold orange with heat.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:35 AM

They are not actually screwed in but pressed in. My thought was to expanding the manifold with heat then tapping out the bolt with an extension so I could get a good whack on the busted bolt . What occurred was nothing , Therefore I am coming to horrible conclusion that I will have to remove it from the tom then drill it out or just blast it out with the torch. But I run the risk of damaging the manifold.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 AM

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 355, Vortec heads, XE274 cam, 9.8-1
Transmission: 700r4 built for 800-900hp
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Gov Lock, Soon to change

Where did you get the idea they are pressed in?

Never seen them pressed and i do this for a living,
Heat up the ear red hot and put a stud extractor on it (There are quite a few extractors some work better than others)
Or weld a big nut on it and heat up the ear.
Soaking for a day in pb helps alot. You could always just break it off flush or cut it, Drill it out and then through bolt it (Put a 3/8-16 by 4 inch bolt down through, Tack weld it on 2 sides so you dont need to hold it with a wrench)

Easier to get a set of shorty headers that replace them and gain some performance.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: To many to list

Originally Posted by Chevy2035
Where did you get the idea they are pressed in?

Never seen them pressed and i do this for a living,
Heat up the ear red hot and put a stud extractor on it (There are quite a few extractors some work better than others)
Or weld a big nut on it and heat up the ear.
Soaking for a day in pb helps alot. You could always just break it off flush or cut it, Drill it out and then through bolt it (Put a 3/8-16 by 4 inch bolt down through, Tack weld it on 2 sides so you dont need to hold it with a wrench)

Easier to get a set of shorty headers that replace them and gain some performance.
Exactly.. I have never seen them pressed in either. The heat method and soak method normally works. Its a PITA but normally works. Its going to be a little harder with the tight area you have to work with though