Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Excessive under hood heat

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 z 28
Engine: 5.7 l98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Excessive under hood heat

I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing excessive under hood heat after installing headers. I have an issue with the car restarting after it has been run for a while until complete cool down. I wrapped the starter with a heat shield and still having issues.

1991 Z28
L98 350 TPI
Shorty Headers
440/440 lift cam
Ported heads
Ported intake and plenum and runner tubes
No A.I.R system or emissions
Old 06-21-2016, 12:27 PM

Re: Excessive under hood heat

[The old school method of under hood heat reduction after header installation was to install a couple washers at each hinge bolt on point. This will slightly break the hood seal and allow normal convection to reduce the heat. The other option is to purchase a starter for drag or round track cars they have better torque and spin faster. Available thru Tims Speed Nashua , Jegs,Summit ~ fanna_50b. ~.QUOTE=REDZ28CAMARO;6051666]I am wondering if anyone else is experiencing excessive under hood heat after installing headers. I have an issue with the car restarting after it has been run for a while until complete cool down. I wrapped the starter with a heat shield and still having issues.

1991 Z28
L98 350 TPI
Shorty Headers
440/440 lift cam
Ported heads
Ported intake and plenum and runner tubes
No A.I.R system or emissions[/QUOTE]
Old 06-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Car: 1989 IrocZ
Engine: 421 Dart Stroker
Transmission: 4L60E Cahall Performance Built
Axle/Gears: Midwest Chassis Fab 9/ 3.55 gears

If there not jet hot or ceramic coated it is what it is. It does make a big difference in underhood heat. Was an article on it I read. Its acouple hujdred degree diff
Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7L 355 TPI
Transmission: 700 R4 with TCI rebuild kit and valve body mods

what kind of headers are you running? I have edelbrock shorty's.

I've gone through 3 starters in the last 10 years due to this. I've tried running the high torque power master, but the same thing happened. right now, I have the exhaust wrapped for the first time with the stock (100 lbs) starter again

I also cleaned between the starter and block since there was a lot of rust. Hopefully it will act as a better heat sink. I think the problem is the solenoid being so close to the header.... Unfortunately, this is a problem a lot of people have with these cars, I too am looking for a better solution!
Old 06-21-2016, 03:31 PM

4 great solutions , Red please post your solution if you did something different, we all have the same issue.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

Things to look at. Smallest starter you can fit. A heat shield. Either a heat shield or a dei wrap. Also look at the main power cable off the battery. It may be a 8g or a 6g. Put a 2g or a 1/0. Hotter needs more amps to turn over.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989
Things to look at. Smallest starter you can fit. A heat shield. Either a heat shield or a dei wrap. Also look at the main power cable off the battery. It may be a 8g or a 6g. Put a 2g or a 1/0. Hotter needs more amps to turn over.

It is the stock power cable. The issue is the starter is dead until the motor has a 100% cool down then starts as designed. I have a DEI heat shield wrap completely covering the starter and solenoid.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by bigchief
what kind of headers are you running? I have edelbrock shorty's.

I've gone through 3 starters in the last 10 years due to this. I've tried running the high torque power master, but the same thing happened. right now, I have the exhaust wrapped for the first time with the stock (100 lbs) starter again

I also cleaned between the starter and block since there was a lot of rust. Hopefully it will act as a better heat sink. I think the problem is the solenoid being so close to the header.... Unfortunately, this is a problem a lot of people have with these cars, I too am looking for a better solution!

I am running a set of flow tech shorty headers. The engine is a completely new rebuild to oil or any other debris or rust anywhere. I cleaned the whole engine bay and had everything repainted before I dropped the new engine in.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Is the starter your using adjustable?Meaning can you spin the solinoid around away from the headers. I had a stock gm starter for years on my procharged 350 with edelbrock coated headers. It did the same crap stock. At the time accel sold a hi heat solinoid. I used that with a shield and never had an issue after that. There is a gasket under that solinoid that you can replace to keep down the heat transfer to the solinoid. That is what is causing the issue. The copper contacts heat up. Check your cables too. To be honest I have never had issues , but then again all my header setups have been coated. Idk the diff to wrapped, but coated there is a noticable difference in under hood heat. Let me find that stock starter. I never got rid of it because it was such a reliable starter with the solinoid change I kept it.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 97 5.7 Vortec LT4 hotcam
Transmission: 700 r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Stock huge starter is the main problem. Too close to the headers and heat soaks. Try a gear reduction starter next time. I had same problems on my Camaro and S10 until I finally replaced them. Been going years without issue now.

I prefer DBelectric for starters. Good prices and quick to get them to you. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual

Are you sure your timing is right and you are not running lean? I advanced my timing 2 degrees (to make stock 6 btdc) and it helped. Also richer cars run cooler.

I went with ceramic headers, mini starter and open louvers in the hood
Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512

1. proper tuning is essential to temperature output of the engine. It should idle around 15-20* Of timing with 15:1 air fuel ratio give or take. It should cruise at 70mph with about 35-37* of timing and the same air fuel ratio. Limiting fuel and using "cruise" timing will help most of the temperature (energy) stay in the combustion chamber. Retarding the timing allows more of the temp into the exhaust system (higher EGT as you retard timing).

2. If the vehicle is N/A, temp control is not a big problem. We keep 1600*F turbines cool by using blanket/wrap/coatings and if things get serious a water/methano injection system does the trick. For N/A application the first thing to do is, using a high quality construction header (No cheap materials) install an EXHAUST WRAP (such as crushed lava rock wrap). You want to keep the temp IN the exhaust system, where it will help speed exhaust gas velocity (will help with performance). After wrapping, even a turbo manifold can rest on a spark plug wire, it will stay that cool if you do it right.