Exhaust Post your questions and suggestions about stock or aftermarket exhaust setups. Third Gen exhaust sound files and videos!

Full duals completed on the "cheap"

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Full duals completed on the "cheap"

Sorry for the lack of pics, Not easy when you're on your back in the garage!

Completed a full 2.5" with an h-pipe behind my LS1, out the back using the stock over the axle location. A very tight fit but it DOES clear with the stock panhard brace. I have a founders piece being shipped anyways, as it's very close to rubbing. I just wanted the exhaust finished once I realized how tight it was so I gave myself clearance to the heat shields knowing I was going to order the lowering brace.

For mufflers and used Totalflow knockoffs of the super 10s, I was happy with the construction and the coating, no doubts about their quality.
I used 6 of the 180 degree 2.5" mandrel bends from dynomax to section up for my bends, and made my own h-pipe.
It's tucked up nicely, and despite the angle of the picture, it doesn't hang lower than my subframe connectors or the torque arm.

The sound is great. I had the dynomax version of the LM1 previously, and this is a few dB quieter at WOT, but while cruising in town its not as obnoxious (I really didn't mind that part of the LM1) I can sneak up the driveway enough that it doesn't disturb the neighbours.
The reason I replaced the LM1, was due to a horrible resonating/backpressure type of noise at 2500rpm if I was engine braking to slow down. Sounded like trash. This current set up sounds great no matter what!

I have about 350-400 cdn in to this from the manifolds back which is great, because after we pay duties, shipping, taxes and the exchange I'm looking at nearly $1000 to get something pre-made shipped to my door.

*side note: The rear "frame rails" behind the axle are NOT equal distances from the center of the car. I had nearly a 4" difference from one side to the other because I assumed the rails were the same distance from the center, so in order to get the tips centered I had to make a 2" s-bend on each pipe after the muffler to get them equal distances from the center of the car.

Will hopefully get a sound video now that it's legally on the road after almost 3 years!!!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Full duals completed on the "cheap"

Sweet ride, are you near Toronto, Ontario? If so, we should go for a cruise. I have a 1988 GTA with an LS1 swap as well.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 87 Trans Am
Re: Full duals completed on the "cheap"

I was in the Borden area in 2015, I did all the cruise nights in the area, Bradford, the Wednesday night cruise at the big park in Barrie, Wasaga, Markham etc. Great area for a car guy, there is a cruise night every day of the week... I'm now living in New Brunswick, and the car scene is not the same.