Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

[NJ] 88 GTA project or parts car. buy it and flip it. Over $7k in aftermarket parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt w/ 3.73
88 GTA project or parts car. buy it and flip it. Over $7k in aftermarket parts

I bought this car when I was fresh out of high school. I drove it on a daily basis for two years until I started upgrading the suspension and decided that I didn't want to drive it during the winter again, so I bought myself a daily driver and cut back driving my GTA. Two years ago I started at Rutgers and haven't really had much time or money for the car. I hate to see it sitting in my mom's garage knowing that not much is going to happen to it for another four years or so - enough time for me to graduate and get a place of my own. I also find myself needing some extra money, so it might be time to part with my GTA. I don't want to part it out even though I know I could get a ton more money for it. I don't really have the time to do so myself right now and I want to hold onto the hope that whoever buys it will decide to finish it instead of parting it out themselves.

Here's a quick list of everything that's bolted onto the car. Everything was brand new when I bolted it on, including the T-56. No cheap e-bay or other knockoff parts ever found their way anywhere near this car. Prices are listed for someone who might be interested in buying the car to part it out themselves.

Front end. Everything listed here has roughly ~1,500 miles on it
- spohn tubular front a-arms w/ derlin bushings ($375)
- spohn front coil over kit ($600)
- koni adjustable struts ($500)
- pretty much a new front end (center link, idler arm, and tie rods) ($250)
- AGR steering box ($375)
- Edelbrock strut tower brace ($150)

Transmission. Everything has roughly ~1,500 miles and was bought new, including the transmission, as said earlier.
- T-56. Gear ratios are for a 93/94 fbody IIRC, which means a more agressive first gear and a slightly higher final drive. 4th is still 1:1. ($500 now, paid $1,200 a few years ago). With my 3.73 rear end I still am turning less than 2 grand on the highway.
- Dakota Digital SIG-5 c speedometer signal interface box. This allows you to run any tire size/gearing you want and still have an accurate speedo. ($80)
- spec stage 3 clutch ($350)
- I forget whose pressure plate I'm running, but I know that it wasn't cheap. I ended up paying around $300 locally I believe. It is correctly balanced for the L98 in the car and not the LT1 the trans was intended for.
- all related misc parts for the transmission are installed (reverse light sensor, reverse lockout solonoid, master/slave, 4th gen pedals - only the brake/clutch, throw out bearing, etc etc. Everything that went into the swap was new - even the pedals).
- spohn chrome moly cross member w/ drive shaft loop and adjustable torque arm w/ spherical rod ends ($600)

Chassis. Everything listed here has been on the car since I bought it (26,xxx miles)
- top down solutions wonder bar ($50)
- spohn sub frame connectors ($200 - the only not new/removeable thing on the car)

Rear end. Probably around 3k miles on everything.
- 9 bolt with new bearings, seals, 3.73 gears, posi cones ($400 or so)
- rear end girdle ($150? I can't find anything about this anymore, I know it was a special order thing)
- pbr plates/calipers with drilled/slotted baer disks ($350)

Body. No idea on miles, but I do know that everything was on the car for the last year of me driving it.
- fiberglass ram air hood with functional scoop, air box, high flow filter, rubber hose to get it hooked up, etc ($1,000).
- fiberglass GTA spoiler ($400)
- new factory urthane fascia + bumper support bar ($350). Had to buy this after some dumbass hit me in a parking lot and drove away. Only damaged the driver's side fender directly, but it pushed out the bumper enough to put a little nick in the side of it so I bought a new one. These are the only things in the list that are new & uninstalled. The fascia is unpainted.

General about the car:
This is a 1988 L98 TPI 350 with a factory engine that starts right up without any issues. It will need valve seals at some point in the future, but does not smoke when driving. It is a WS6 GTA, pretty much fully loaded for a 3rd gen (power locks, windows, seats, AC, leather steering wheel, etc). The car has 116,xxx miles on it. The only thing that's original at this point is the engine.

extras:
Two sets of gold GTA wheels come with the car. One set is in good shape for their age and the other set needs to be repainted. Snow tires with 80% tred left on them are mounted to the rougher set of wheels (these have not been driven on in years, I will check them out tomorrow to see how they look but I imagine they're fine). Cheapo pepboy tires will be sold on the car since the Kumho Ecstas I had on the car are dry rotted from not being filled for the past two years while mounted to the car

Head light motors both work. Both motors are new from GM as of three years ago (keep in mind the car hasn't really been driven for the past two). No rebuilds here. They were around $150 a pop IIRC. The hood struts are also new and were bought from GM. They're the ones for the 82-84 cars with fiberglass hoods. Say another $150 for the pair.

The bad:
- The rear end needs to be setup again. It's dead quiet up until around 45 mph, then it howles until around 65 mph, then is dead quiet again. It's very weird.
- As mentioned earlier, the car needs paint. There is no rust or major body damage (ie dents, etc), but the driver's side fender, hood, and rear spoiler all don't match the rest of the car. Neither will the new front fascia.
- The car has no carpet/interior installed currently, although I have all the plastic trim for a black interior and I have a new aftermarket black headliner installed in the car. The front seats are tan and the rear seat is in pieces, but I have black covers for it. Speaking of the front seats, the driver's side outer bolster doesn't have any foam in it anymore.
- The car needs a little love before it gets back onto the road. The brakes are pretty rusty, might not be a bad idea to replace the battery but it does start right up, etc.
- Torque arm needs to get adjusted. It unloads when you're going into reverse. I don't have a big enough wrench to be able to do it myself.
- The engine has a bad sensor somewhere. When I was driving it would pull hard till around 4,000 RPM then spark would cut out. If you hold the petal down at this RPM it will surge - rev down to around 3,800 RPM, pull hard, die, rev down, etc. Two new MAFs didn't fix the problem. The car pulls like a champ when cold or when you unplug the MAF air flow sensor - IE when it is in open loop.

I'm asking $3,500 firm. If no one's interested before the weekend I will list it on e-bay starting at that price with no reserve. If it doesn't sell I will just keep it - I don't really need to get rid of it.

It should be noted that the current front bumper is photoshopped in the following pictures to remove some chips and the license plate.

Last edited by Gummie; 07-14-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

Re: 88 GTA project or parts car. buy it and flip it. Over $7k in aftermarket parts

(continued)

current pictures as I pulled it out of the barn tonight. I'll clean it up as soon as I get some newer rubber on the car and can drive it a little further.

I'll try to get some pictures of the good stuff when I swap out the tires later this week.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Supreme Member

Re: 88 GTA project or parts car. buy it and flip it. Over $7k in aftermarket parts

Any takers for $3,000 or even $2,500? That's the absolute lowest I am willing to go because I know I can make at least that by selling the fiberglass parts and transmission. I just don't want to go through the hassle.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Want a title? Post!

Do you by chance have the am/fm cassette player for it that you would like to sell

Originally Posted by Gummie
(continued)

current pictures as I pulled it out of the barn tonight. I'll clean it up as soon as I get some newer rubber on the car and can drive it a little further.

I'll try to get some pictures of the good stuff when I swap out the tires later this week.