Firebirds for Sale Post your Firebird for Sale.

[FL] FS: 1988 Trans-Am t-top, 305 TPI auto (rusty) $1500

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '87 Trans-Am
Engine: LB9 (305 TPI)
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 or 3.73..figuring it out still
FS: 1988 Trans-Am t-top, 305 TPI auto (rusty) $1500

Alright, I recently picked up this '88 Trans-Am to fix up and basically restore but things being what they are, something has arose and I have to get rid of it. The car basically was a non-running, water filled parts car heap when I picked it up and trailered it home. It sat for a few years under a tree in Florida with leaking t-tops...so you can imagine what happened. I have since done some work to it of course, but it needs to go as things have changed for me at home and I need it gone. It can either be a parts car or finished if someone wants to do the rust work...which honestly, is not structural, only in the cosmetic and pain in the neck areas.

The good:

It is an '88 T/A with only 82K original miles. Odometer/speedo. works, so that mileage is accurate...based on it condition and the way the car was I know it to be the original dash/bezel too. The car now starts and runs on it's own power, battery holds a charge, alternator charges, etc. I drained the fuel from the tank, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel pump, and ran some good gas through it and it runs and drives well now. The trans. has decent looking fluid in it and shifts firm. I drained the radiator and filled it with new coolant and put a new radiator cap on it. Fans come on as they should and temp. holds good where it should. I went through the brakes and got new flex hoses, flushed the front fluid/bled the brakes, and lubed up the slides, resurfaced the rotors, etc...it stops well and doesn't pull or anything now. Cleaned up the dash/circuit board connections and wiring and the instruments work properly. headlight go up and down...sometimes have an issue as the switch needs to be replaced, it is not in the motors. Has a K&N filter, posi drum brake rear diff., and overall seems to be running and driving rather well. Removed the seat tracks and blasted, cleaned, re-greased, and painted...work like new again. The ground effects are all there and in good shape, all louvers are in the hood and fenders, glass is all in good shape, and it has the GTA style black honey comb dimpled wheels with all original center caps and lug nut covers even.

The bad:

The steering column tilt part is very loose...it steers and you can drive it, but is floppy. The rust of course is an issue. It rusted around the top and t-top areas which then led to rust along the firewall area where leaves and moisture sat for years I'm sure. The floor is actually pretty solid though considering...2 holes, one nickel sized and the other behind the driver seat area about 2 nickels next to each other shaped in size. The rust is not structural anywhere that I can see though. T-top areas...I guess could be considered structural, but no floor issues aside from mentioned that I saw, nothing on the strut towers or around underside of car or around suspension. The sway bar bushings are gone from age...hardware there and all, but bushing withered away. The interior was obviously nasty...I gutted the interior, removed the carpet to inspect the floorboard and recondition the seat tracks, and the headliner and sun visors were not with the car. I can clean up most of the interior plastics though as I am pretty confident they would clean up, plus I have some various grey plastics froma rpevious car I can make the best of the two sets work in the car...but as of now, there is only a seat on the driver's side mounted on the bare floor so it can be driven basically. The center console is not terrible...but some seperation on the driver's side vinyl is starting, but the console lid is in alright shape...radio bezel/plate as well. Everything but the headliner and visors was there, just pretty nasty. Dash pad is cracked/junk.

Basically, I would like to get out from under the car without doing anything else to it really, but I tend to work here and there on it to get things slowly closer to more presentable when I get time. In other words, If it sells sooner rather than later, the price will reflect it. As I invest more time and money to make it look better/finish things, the more I will need bottom line. Overall, it seems to be reliable transportation and would be a good long term project or parts car if you have a crashed bird or something. Asking $1500 as it sits...but I can also work things out to put it more together or work on things if anyone wants to work something like that out. I have some exterior pics below:

Name:  2009_02111988Trans-AmBefore0055.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  130.0 KB
Name:  2009_02111988Trans-AmBefore0054.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  138.1 KB
Name:  2009_02111988Trans-AmBefore0050.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  173.3 KB
Name:  2009_02111988Trans-AmBefore0051.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  183.3 KB

Name:  2009_02111988Trans-AmBefore0008.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  147.0 KB

PM me or email me at creepingdeath9481@hotmail.com
phone is 772-708-4394

I have more pics if requested...let me know what you need.