History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Recaro or Not recaro???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 11:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Irocz, 95 Z28, 71 Z28 /RS
Engine: 355 Tpi, LT1, 355
Transmission: Auto, Auto, 4sp
Recaro or Not recaro???

I know the true answer I just want to see if anyone else does.

This car NO LONGER is alive it was totaled out in Feb of this year.

I bought this 83 firebird (not giving ya any hints) & it had recaro doors, recaro seats, the hood, & the engine. But was it a true recaro???????? oh No gold on it because it was not the org paint job it was redone.

Heres some pics

Heres the top of the seats I dont have any good ones.
Attached Thumbnails Recaro or Not recaro???-inside-2-83-firebird.jpg  
Old 10-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

Outside pic
Attached Thumbnails Recaro or Not recaro???-83-firebird.jpg  
Old 10-25-2002, 11:59 PM
Supreme Member

one of at the track bad pic (sorry Crappy pic)

Whos that standing off by the car Yes thats me But I am talking about the Man ..............could it be yes it is its Scott Settlemire lol
Attached Thumbnails Recaro or Not recaro???-firebirdtrack.jpg  
Old 10-26-2002, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Heres one of the doors & with the T-tops off
Attached Thumbnails Recaro or Not recaro???-ttops.jpg  
Old 10-26-2002, 04:02 PM

If you know, I don't see much point in asking....

I'm guessing, that since you are asking, that it's not a real recaro.
Old 10-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by zer0321
If you know, I don't see much point in asking....

I'm guessing, that since you are asking, that it's not a real recaro.
Just trying to prove a point about ppl not sure what thier car is. They do come to these forums to LEARN & then get bitched out because theydont know a thing.

Most of the time its these so called expert doing it. So those that Think they know what my car is What is it? As I said it says its a recaro Is it????
Old 10-27-2002, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1983 Firebird S/E
kizz would know.....
Old 10-27-2002, 01:41 PM

Car: '84 Trans Am Recaro Edition
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700-R4
Originally posted by Krazzycowgirl
Just trying to prove a point about ppl not sure what thier car is. They do come to these forums to LEARN & then get bitched out because theydont know a thing.

Most of the time its these so called expert doing it. So those that Think they know what my car is What is it? As I said it says its a recaro Is it????
I'm one of those ppl and i think there's nothing wrong with coming here and trying to figure out what your car is.And i prefer that way.And i'm sure many ppl will agree with that.It's not only trying to figure out what kinda car you have but it can also help you understand what your car went through for years.And i'm sure many ppl will agree with me that those cars are not a real invesment for now, maybe one day they'll be but today they're not and usually ppl buy those cars because they love it.If it performs and looks good then the rest is BS to me.My car is probably a real recaro and i didn't buy it as Recaro Edition.The guy didn't even know it was trans-am.But even if it's not a real Recaro so what i still love it.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Those look like the standard seats to me, but I'm no expert... doesn't look like the front & rear ones match either, so who knows what all got swapped around on it.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:46 AM

Car: 1982 Recaro T/A
Engine: LU5 CFI 305 V8
Transmission: TH-200C
Axle/Gears: 3.23 F-body Fanatic: Yes
that interior looks like an 82 recaro trans am. it can't be from any other car, or any other year. period. only about 4% of trans am's got the option. less than 2% if you count all '82 firebirds. 82 was the only year that recaros came in cloth and in that deep grey "charcoal" color you see there. door handles are from an 82 83 or 84 recaro t/a only; total production over those years is less than 6000 total.

if you're saying that this is an 83 firebird, then the whole interior shown there has been transplanted from an 82 recaro trans am to whatever car this is. basically you got rare parts pasted on a non-rare car.

middle console with those 3 switches looks like it's from a camaro, not a firebird. hood is trans am only; no firebirds ever got it back then. steering wheel is from an 82 or early 83 firebird or trans am. t-top cutouts look original judging from that little metal flange in the door jamb. seatbelt hardware looks 82-only. doors are probably off an 82 trans am with power windows, since they have those micro-eagle emblems where the manual window handle would be; a feature rarely if ever seen on 83+. plus the exterior stripe stops at the door; more proof that doors are swapouts. gauge cluster needle is really hard to see but i think it looks orange, so that part would be an 83-84 (82 had white needles). automatic shifter area says somethin about overdrive, so that is from 83-84 only too; possibly camaro but i'm guessing firebird. 82 had no overdrive availability.

if it's a k-mart special pieced together from multiple models and years, of course nobody is going to be able to identify what it is, so it's not really a challenge, but more of a mind game.. if you got a VIN, cowl plate or anything else, I can tell you more info on it.

GT

Last edited by kizz; 10-28-2002 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by kizz
that interior looks like an 82 recaro trans am. it can't be from any other car, or any other year. period. only about 4% of trans am's got the option. less than 2% if you count all '82 firebirds. 82 was the only year that recaros came in cloth and in that deep grey "charcoal" color you see there. door handles are from an 82 83 or 84 recaro t/a only; total production over those years is less than 6000 total.

if you're saying that this is an 83 firebird, then the whole interior shown there has been transplanted from an 82 recaro trans am to whatever car this is. basically you got rare parts pasted on a non-rare car.

middle console with those 3 switches looks like it's from a camaro, not a firebird. hood is trans am only; no firebirds ever got it back then. steering wheel is from an 82 or early 83 firebird or trans am. t-top cutouts look original judging from that little metal flange in the door jamb. seatbelt hardware looks 82-only. doors are probably off an 82 trans am with power windows, since they have those micro-eagle emblems where the manual window handle would be; a feature rarely if ever seen on 83+. plus the exterior stripe stops at the door; more proof that doors are swapouts. gauge cluster needle is really hard to see but i think it looks orange, so that part would be an 83-84 (82 had white needles). automatic shifter area says somethin about overdrive, so that is from 83-84 only too; possibly camaro but i'm guessing firebird. 82 had no overdrive availability.

if it's a k-mart special pieced together from multiple models and years, of course nobody is going to be able to identify what it is, so it's not really a challenge, but more of a mind game.. if you got a VIN, cowl plate or anything else, I can tell you more info on it.

GT
Now I will tell the story of that car. It was a Base model Firebird 83. The old owners had a 84 Trans am recaro that was rearended & trans planted everthing in to the 83 I ended up owning. The Reseason I know this is I researched this car after picking it up. I even emailed Paul Copper with the Western washington firebird club before becoming a member.
I also researched it by getting a hold of PHS with both vin numbers I had. The one on the car & the one from the centerconsol & the back box. Plus I got a chance to talk to the old owner.

I ended up selling the car because the Old owners didnt hook up the EGR system & the car was engine wise bad shape & instead of replaceing or rebuilding the engine we sold the car. The new owners had it for less then a month when the wife Totalled it while drinking & driving.
But owning this car taught me a lot of making sure you know what you own. even by coming to boards like this & asking questions.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:12 PM

Well I've explained it to you as best as I know how; now what you do with that information is up to you. I'll repeat the basics though: the interior you see there is from a 1982 Recaro T/A. It cannot be from any other car, model, or year. If you're saying that this interior came from a 1984 car, then there is only one possibility: it was swapped into that 84 from an 82 Recaro T/A. If Paul Copper or anyone else told you otherwise, they were mistaken. Recaros are the least-understood and least-documented third gen's ever made; right up there with S/E, except S/E is better known. I don't expect anyone to know about Recaros unless they're a hardcore Recaro freak like myself and a few others on this board. 82 was the only year with charcoal Parella cloth interior like that; 83 and 84 used a combination of leather & cloth so it can't be that; 85-86 used Pallex cloth, so it can't be that either. You have the 82 style, and there's no doubt. No other cloth would tear up that way at the edges. Like I said all 83-84 styles can be ruled out since they had part-leather design different from what you had, The 85-86 Pallex cloth is the next closest material, but it never came in the dark Charcoal color you had, plus it was a lot thicker and burlier so it would rip very differently and the foam would not be intact as yours was. Which by the way, it looks like it was done intentionally since all 4 sides are ripped the exact same amount I'm just trying to clear it up for others reading this.. you have the 82 interior.

I refer you to the following pics, which are the only third-gen Recaros to ever roll out of GM factories, ever. If you're still unconvinced, I dunno what else I can tell you. talk to Jim Mattison about it. But you know, I don't know if I would even trust his opinion, unless PHS owns one of each of the cars below so he can personally compare them. *That* is how badly documented these cars are.. can't even trust Grampa Poncho but anyway just look at the pics below and read my post above and judge for yourself which one it is..

GT

Last edited by kizz; 10-28-2002 at 07:48 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:12 PM

Attached Thumbnails Recaro or Not recaro???-5recaros.jpg  
Old 10-28-2002, 07:13 PM

I have better pics somewhere but these are what I have handy right now.
Attached Thumbnails Recaro or Not recaro???-8586recaros.jpg  
Old 10-28-2002, 07:59 PM
Supreme Member

Then I guess the PHS is wrong too??? oh well.

Even though I no longer have the stuff to prove ya wrong I am going by what a place that still holds the paperwork for the car that the seats & everything else came out of & the paper work on the car.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:52 PM

If you would just listen to Kizz you would realize that this guy knows Recaro's like the back of his hand. He is the one that helped clear up the whole Mark B confusion BS thingy.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by rjmcgee
If you would just listen to Kizz you would realize that this guy knows Recaro's like the back of his hand. He is the one that helped clear up the whole Mark B confusion BS thingy.

I am not saying he dont know anything I am saying the Information I got from PHS said that the seats were charcoal & that they came out of an 84. via the two vin numbers I shipped them. The one that was on in my dash & the one that was on the Box of the car.

The box was according to PHS was out of a 84 Trans am Recaro had the Vin that came back had options for charcoal color recaro seats.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:58 PM

it's starting to sound like "my friend's brother's wife's pastor's older sister's boyfriend's dad's brother-in-law told me such and such", heh. I mean, not to be rude, but there was never an 84 recaro like you describe, and I think I my pictures speak for themselves. If you can find the PHS info and post it, it would answer the mystery once and for all. I know for a fact the 84 Recaro T/A came with TAN leather and TAN cloth, like the picture shows. If you want to see a really nice one, click this link: http://www.ohok.com/82recaro/message...ML/000042.html Everything about that car is what a 1984 Recaro should look like. It's original as it left the factory. It does have some optional equipment, like t-tops, power mirrors, trunk lid and trunk carpet, upgrade radio, etc. etc. etc., so I'm not saying ALL 84 Recaros will be identical to this one, because they might not have some of the optional stuff, but regardless of all that.. look at the interior, look at the seats, near the bottom of the page.. TAN leather and TAN cloth combination. No charcoal anywhere to be found! all 84 Recaros were like this one, as far as the interior material.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

it's starting to sound like "my friend's brother's wife's pastor's older sister's boyfriend's dad's brother-in-law told me such and such", heh. I mean, not to be rude, but there was never an 84 recaro like you describe, and I think I my pictures speak for themselves. If you can find the PHS info and post it, it would answer the mystery once and for all. I know for a fact the 84 Recaro T/A came with TAN leather and TAN cloth, like the picture shows. If you want to see a really nice one, click this link: http://www.ohok.com/82recaro/message...ML/000042.html Everything about that car is what a 1984 Recaro should look like. It's original as it left the factory. It does have some optional equipment, like t-tops, power mirrors, trunk lid and trunk carpet, upgrade radio, etc. etc. etc., so I'm not saying ALL 84 Recaros will be identical to this one, because they might not have some of the optional stuff, but regardless of all that.. look at the interior, look at the seats, near the bottom of the page.. TAN leather and TAN cloth combination. No charcoal anywhere to be found! all 84 Recaros were like this one, as far as the interior material.
But as I said The Information I got from PHS which I believe since they would have the Infromation out of the factory. said the Vin number that was for the 84 recaro came with charcoal Cloth seats. Could the Org owner had Special order them that color????? I know in the past that someone said that something didnt come one year & someone Had special ordered it.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:09 AM

Car: '84 Trans Am Recaro Edition
Engine: L69 305 H.O.
Transmission: 700-R4
Everything about that car is what a 1984 Recaro should look like. It's original as it left the factory. It does have some optional equipment, like t-tops, power mirrors, trunk lid and trunk carpet, upgrade radio, etc. etc. etc., so I'm not saying ALL 84 Recaros will be identical to this one, because they might not have some of the optional stuff, but regardless of all that.. look at the interior, look at the seats, near the bottom of the page.. TAN leather and TAN cloth combination. No charcoal anywhere to be found! all 84 Recaros were like this one, as far as the interior material.
I have exactly the same stuff except power-mirrors and those trunk carpets.I should get those they look nice and clean.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:01 PM

The Information I got from PHS which I believe since they would have the Infromation out of the factory. said the Vin number that was for the 84 recaro came with charcoal Cloth seats. Could the Org owner had Special order them that color????? I know in the past that someone said that something didnt come one year & someone Had special ordered it.
All I can tell you is they never made a car like you describe, and I will bet money on that. There's no PHS documentation that shows an 84 Recaro with charcoal cloth seats. If you have the PHS info that says otherwise, then post it and I'll pay up.
Old 10-29-2002, 02:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1983, 1986
Engine: 2.8 2bbl, 2.8 MPFI
Transmission: 200C 3 speed, 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.08, 3.42
But as I said The Information I got from PHS which I believe since they would have the Infromation out of the factory. said the Vin number that was for the 84 recaro came with charcoal Cloth seats. Could the Org owner had Special order them that color????? I know in the past that someone said that something didnt come one year & someone Had special ordered it.
The vin you provided to PHS said it was an 84? Okay but keep in mind that the VIN in and of itself is not going to distinguish between another 84 TA and a Recaro TA. Only the RPO Sticker can do that.

I would agree w/Kizz -- 82 Recaro interior, perhaps installed in a 1984 TA which provided the VIN for PHS.

This whole thread sounds like it was intended to flame the people here who know their sh*t. The reason they are quick to jump to conclusions is because too many times they see photoshopped titles (1985 L98) or the friend of a friend deal.

You want to believe what you had is what you had? okay

Just don't come here (without proof) trying to prove to 10,000 plus members that it existed.

Awfully alot of fuss over a car that's now a block of steel
Old 10-29-2002, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

I agree 100% with kizz! Seats are from an 1982 Recaro Trans Am. 1984 was the camel leather Recaros.
I also agree, it does seem like you are trying to slam people who know about these cars. I have Pontiac documentation stating these seat colors/materials for the Recaro Trans Ams for each year. It is even in the Pontiac Product Information Books.
Also, just to let other people know, I see no reason for anyone to come in to this website, and ask questions. I also want to point out, that not everybody is an expert. Not even me. Not even the site's moderators! I know quite abit on the Firebird line, but almost nothing on the Camaro line. Therefore, I don't post on anything about the Camaro line.
I think that people who want to start trouble, should just go aruge in chat rooms.

Just stating facts and opinions,

George
Old 10-29-2002, 04:16 PM
Supreme Member

First of all this thread was not started to flame anyone.
Second I did own this car for over a year & Did alot of research on it. Including shipping the two vin numbers I had to PHS.

As for
The vin you provided to PHS said it was an 84? Okay but keep in mind that the VIN in and of itself is not going to distinguish between another 84 TA and a Recaro TA. Only the RPO Sticker can do that
by kizz That paper PHS sends you is the factory invoice, listing all options on your car and the option prices, what dealer it was supposed to be shipped to, total MSRP and price, VIN, date shipped, date built, etc
So yes it would have said if the car would have been a recaro. showing the recaro seats & the y84 Which was the recaro code from the 81 to the end of the recaros in 85 (i do believe)

I guess no one picked up the fact tha I did also talk to the Org owners since the car was a one owner before me. Oh well.

as for not knowing much about the firebirds Yes I admit that I dont know a lot of the history of these cars. But the love & what I have learned by owning them since I have owned a few firebirds over the few years I have had them. Not only owning several Camaros as well.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:25 PM

The only reason I replied to begin with is that someone mentioned my name and they thought I would be able to answer the question. I don't claim to be an "expert" either, I'm just a huge fan of these rare and under-appreciated cars. I've done lots of studying on them and lots of comparison from year to year and I think everything I've said here is probably right. Like I said, if you have the PHS info to prove what you're claiming, just post it here, then name your price, and I will pay you that amount, since I offered to bet my own money on it. But you won't be able to collect, because PHS did not send you paperwork claiming that a car exists the way you described it. Recaros are very misunderstood and very unknown like I said before, and I take every opportunity I can get to set the record straight about what they are, what they are not, etc. You cited many sources including 1) the original owner, 2) PHS, 3) Paul Copper from some organization. If those people told you what you claim they did, then they either lied or they were misinformed.

I don't know if I ever managed to get my point across, but read my posts above, and you will have yourself one heck of a reliable opinion. I don't know much, but I do know Recaros

this is my final post on this particular subject.

GT
Old 10-29-2002, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

Hi Krazzycowgirl!
What papers from PHS, said that the Recaro seats came in the charcoal color, for the 1984 year car??? I would love for you to scan it, and post it here. These color seats were for 1982 only. 1984 were camel color, and leather.
I am not refuting the Recaro seats from a 1984 Recaro Trans Am, just the fact that these seats came from one new. Do you have a 1982 and a 1984 Pontiac Product Information Book? These will show the colors and/or sample of the material for each year.
Just to let you know, I know for sure, one 1989 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am running around with grey interior. Not the camel. Why? Well, after finding out that his car was not a 1 of car, he went ahead, and tracked down all the owners of his car. Guess what? He found out that when the car was new, the new owner buyer wanted the car, but not the interior color! So, the dealer went ahead, and changed the interior from one car, into the other car (the 20th TTA). The car sold new with the grey interior. Is it legit? No! It didn't come from the factory that way!
My point is, confront the prervious owners about the '82 interior, and find out everything you can about it. I'm sure that you will find out the truth.
No offense to anyone out there, but I have never seen so many 1 of cars in my life, here on thirdgen.org! It seems that everyone owns at least one!
You run into problems when you buy a car used!
Heck, my girlfriend bought a red '91 Firebird with the Sport Appearance Package and a 305 TBI engine. Her RPO code shows a FE2 code. That's a 30mm front sway bar! But, when I climb underneath the car with a set of calipers, they come up 26mm. What gives? These are for a V-6 car! Heck, I don't even care! I don't have a 1 of car (nor her, my girlfriend for that matter!)! Ya, I bought a 30mm bar, but then I decided to get a 32mm bar and put that one on! Wow! Maybe the factory put in a GTA sway bar, instead of a 30mm bar!! I don't think so!!!!! I did!!!
Please don't get mad at kizz or me, or anyone when we try to help. Because that's what we are trying to do! When you post things to try to get someone to goof up, you even stated that the experts don't know everything. We don't! But, we do know quite a bit! I'm sure that you specialize in the years of the Camaros you own. I don't think that you would be happy with someone trying to get at you!
If you were asking to find out about your car, great! But not to get people in a fight over things. Or to try and stump someone, or find fault! This is what you did.

I will continue to try and help people out! Kizz, I hope you do the same!! If anyone has questions or need help, I hope you all ask or post!
The object of a message board, is to help people in the long run, not to find fault with people, or their cars! If someone asks for opinions, great, give them! But please try to keep the cutting down. If you go visit other sites, read what they say about this site! It's not all good! Together, we can all try to help others, and each other!!

Not mad, holding no grudges, and relaxing,

George
Old 10-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Supreme Member

when I sell a car all paper work go with that car.
I am not mad at anyone.
I was trying to prove a point & it got over ran no big deal.
Old 10-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Recaro Option T/A
Engine: 305 Tuned Port Injection
Transmission: Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3:27 Borg Warner
George, well said my man.

When I first looked at my car on the lot, the salesman said it was special because of the map pocket.

I searched for more info, found this site and better yet kizz's web page and all my questions were answered. You just have to ask

There is plenty of confusion about these cars without fueling the fire, but its through "debates" like these that hopefully set the records straight.

I have seen an 84 Recaro in person. Jed is the original owner, and a fellow parishioner. His cowl tag shows a code 643.

This is a Camel Tan Deluxe Leather Interior.

Paul Cooper is a great guy, president of the Western Washington Firebird club. However I would not consider him an authority concerning 3rd gens. Ask him any question about 1st or 2nd gens, thats his area

My son Chris did a comparison between my car and kizz's. As you see there are almost the same but not quite

Nice job my son Im proud of you

Don
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
booboo recaros.bmp (29.4 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by 85 T/A WS6; 10-30-2002 at 03:40 PM.