History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

'87 ragtop Z28 w/Iroc Z questions inside...help please

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2001, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'87 ragtop Z28 w/Iroc Z questions inside...help please

Hi. Well, I always see the same '87 camaro ragtop in this gas station parking lot. It has been parked in the same spot for as long as I can remember...now I have a few questions...since I am a Trans am guy. This is a nice camaro...especially since it is a ragtop...and I was actually thinking about getting rid of my TA...so what other car is better than a vert. Well first off it has some front damage, therefor it would need a new nose and a drivers side fender. It is a flame red metallic/maroonish color...and it has these replica aftermarket GTA rims. Now it has Z28 emblems on the side GFX...while it has gold Iroc Z stickers on the doors...where normal Iroc Z cars have them. Now first off....what is it? A Z28 or an Iroc? It is an automatic transmission....so what engine could it possibly have? Would it have a TPI engine? Could it possibly have the 5.7 TPI L-98 engine in it? I doubt I want to bother with a TBI car...unless you guys out there have anything good to say about the TBI engines. As of now my TA has a carbed 350...so I really dont want to move down to a 305 unless it is the TPI(but then again some of you out there know a lot more about f-bodies than I do, but I am here to learn). The interior needs work....and the top appeared to be in mint condition. It looked like all the plastic interior pieces were there. It had a tan interior...the arm rest was ripped. Now how much would it actually cost to get this car fixed up cosmetically with the front end being replaced? The rest of the paint was mint. It currently has a front end off of a SC..which looks hideous and way out of place on this car. This would be sort of like my first car...since I have only been driving for about a month on my own now. So is this going to be too much to fix up? It would be a nice car to keep and eventually totally restore. Of course 4th gen interior would eventually be replacing the current interior. But I figure that if it is going to cost the same amount to fix up this vert as it would to fix up my t-top TA...then why not spend it on the vert. Now...what are the advantages and disadvantages on these cars? Are they bad as daily drivers? I want to at least go talk to the owner and find out some more info on this car...but if he is selling it...what would be a decent price to offer? What would be the most you would pay for one? Please let me know. Thanks.

James
Old 11-09-2001, 11:52 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS Convertible
Engine: 305
Transmission: NWC T-5
No L98 350s. Almost no V-6s (I think 91-92 offered them). It could however have either the TPI or I believe the carb was the other offering. You will also get the base suspension, not the IROC suspension.

Its not hard or expensive to fix. I got a 91 Camaro front end and complete GFX for $400. The interior, if pieces are missing or broken, you're going to pay big bucks, but an armrest can be found for as little as a couple dollars at the scrapyard.

As mine being my daily driver, it can be annoying. Top rattles, squeaks, and the flexible-flyer suspension suck. But those 20 days a year the top goes down its the best. I can't describe it, but it makes T-tops seem worthless on cars.

Reasonable price, start at $1500 and prepare to go up to almost $3000 in that condition. Depending on what the owner knows about this car can affect price a lot also. So does the fact winter is coming so people are selling the ragtops for less than say spring.

------------------
Old 11-10-2001, 08:19 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
I'll the questions related to originality.

Hi. Well, I always see the same '87 camaro ragtop....

Confirm it is an '87 by the size and shape of the third brake light. If it is 9-inches long and protrudes from the surface of the spoiler, it is an '87. If it is 13-inches long and flush, it is not.

Now it has Z28 emblems on the side GFX...while it has gold Iroc Z stickers on the doors...where normal Iroc Z cars have them. Now first off....what is it? A Z28 or an Iroc?

From 1985 thru 1987, the IROC-Z was an option on the Z28. These cars have Z28 emblems. The ground effects were silver, gold or charcoal on the Z28. They were body color with the IROC-Z option. Both cars have different striping and wheels too (to mention a few differences). If it is an IROC-Z, it will have 16-inch wheels.

It is an automatic transmission....so what engine could it possibly have? Would it have a TPI engine?

1987 Z28 convertibles (with and without the IROC-Z option) were limited to only two engine/transmission combinations:

1) 305 LG4 (carb) with automatic &
2) 305 LB9 (TPI) with 5-speed.

So if the car has an auto, it has to have a 305 carb.

Could it possibly have the 5.7 TPI L-98 engine in it?

As stated above, no 350's in third generation Camaro convertibles were produced.

I doubt I want to bother with a TBI car....

The 305 TBI was introduced in 1988 as a replacement to the LG4 305 carbed engine.

Now how much would it actually cost to get this car fixed up cosmetically with the front end being replaced?

If you can verify it is an original 1987 convertible (the VIN is the only true way to do this), it will be worth every penny to restore it to original. These cars are rare!!! The sixth digit in the VIN should be a "3", not a "2".

Did you notice a map pocket affixed to the dash on the passenger side with the "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" screening?

Of course 4th gen interior would eventually be replacing the current interior.

Don't even consider anything but original stuff on such a rare car. It will only devalue it.

Are they bad as daily drivers?

Do not use an '87 convertible as a daily driver. It's too rare to risk. Any other year convertible, no problem but not an '87.

In a nutshell, if you can confirm this is an '87, it's worth $$$$. But if you can't afford to restore it to original condition and limit its mileage, don't buy it.

------------------
Willie

Supercharged 1987 305 IROC-Z, Daily-Driver, Emissions-Legal.
Former Paxton (6-psig) with 50-hp nitrous: 12.043 @ 112.86 mph.
ATI D1SC (10-psig): 12.056 @ 116.62 mph.
All stats are altitude corrected for 3,100 feet using NHRA's Altitude Correction Table.

http://willie.camaro-firebird.org/

1987 "20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition" Z28 Convertible -- Super Chevy Show Class Winner, 1998.

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited November 10, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Drew (edited November 12, 2001).]
Old 11-10-2001, 10:05 AM

It is definitely an '87...I checked on the registration sticker. I have to talk to the owner and get a good look at the car. The only problem would be that it would end up being my daily driver if I bought it. Also, I am not too fond of the LG4 engine...since my best friend has it in his '86 SC...and it is slower than shyte. But it is a nice car. I guess I will have to go check it out, and I guess I can go for looks over speed on this one. I will keep you guys posted...maybe I will go over by it today if I have a chance.

James
Old 11-10-2001, 03:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
No offense, but I'd suggest staying away from it based on your intentions. Like Willie said its not a good car for a daily driver, you probably won't be happy with the lack of power, etc... Its definitely not something to undertake as a small project.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:57 PM

No offense taken. I appreciate your help..that is why I came on here first...before I bought the car. Thanks a lot...well I will let you know what I end up doing...but chances are I will look for an '87-'90 GTA w/t-tops.

James
Old 11-12-2001, 10:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
Even if you plan to use it as a daily driver, I'd say its better having somebody driving it that actualy knows how rare it is as opposed to some dip**** that just wants a car he can get girls with that is going to end up wrapped it around a tree in 6 months.

If you do buy it, don't mod the crap out of it... I'd keep it as close to original as possible, maybe add a tame aftermarked exhaust.
Old 11-12-2001, 10:59 AM

Yes, I would have planned on keeping it as close to stock. I am only 17 and cannot afford to be racing and get my license taken away from me. Plus I dont have all the money to mod the hell out of it. I am not a camaro guy, but for some reason I love the camaro verts. I havent gotten a chance to talk to the owner yet, but the car hasnt moved since I got a quick look at it. What are some things to look for to make sure it is definitely a stock vert...and some common problems to look out for. Thanks for all your help. It always seems that I find a rare car...but then it is either a lemon, it is a fake(like the TTA I found...that was actually an '86 with TTA parts), or it is sold an hour before I get there. Hopefully this car will be worth it, but even if I dont plan on buying it I am sure somebody else on this board would be happy to take this car and restore it. Actually somebody on these boards has an '87 vert for sale and he lives 5 minutes away from me.

James
Old 11-12-2001, 12:09 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Willie:
[b]I'll the questions related to originality.

Could it possibly have the 5.7 TPI L-98 engine in it?

As stated above, no 350's in third generation Camaros were produced.

[
</font>
Um I think you miss stated that. I know for a fact there are L98 Camaros... 350s... so you might want to correct yourself before flame wars begin.

------------------
89 Trans Am Turbo 3.8L All stock 43,000 miles #1053 of 1555

Past Thirdgen:
86 Trans Am w/ built 355TPI with SLP goodies and too much other stuff to List. One sweet *** car, wish I would have had a good enough Job to pay insurance on three cars so I could keep it, but for a 89 Turbo Trans Am w/ Low miles, I think I made the right choice!
Old 11-12-2001, 12:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Better?
Old 11-12-2001, 02:02 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Originally posted by Kyle F:
Um I think you miss stated that. I know for a fact there are L98 Camaros... 350s... so you might want to correct yourself before flame wars begin.

Two points:

1)
The subject matter deals with 1987 Camaro convertibles. I was referring to Camaro convertibles when I said no 350's were produced.

2)
We do NOT flame one another at this site. It is purely technical with facts that are backed up by reference material. We try to shy away from "opinions" for the most part. Flame one another? It's very childish, uncalled for and not accepted here.

Willie

[This message has been edited by Willie (edited November 12, 2001).]
Old 11-12-2001, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Corvette Coupe
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/4L60 same trans different name
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Willie:
Two points:

1)
The subject matter deals with 1987 Camaro convertibles. I was referring to Camaro convertibles when I said no 350's were produced.

</font>

corrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrect!!!!!!
Old 11-12-2001, 09:08 PM
2011 Norwood Gathering
ThirdGen Firebird Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 99 WS6 / 00 SS / 11 CTS-V / 13 300
Engine: LS1 / LS1 / LSA / 5.7 Hemi
Transmission: 4L60E / T-56 / 6L80E / W5A80
Axle/Gears: 3.23 / 3.42 Auburn / 3.23 / 2.62
I knew what he was saying...and one of the nice things about this board is it is one of the few on this site that has experienced, informative, level-headed people who are here to help, not flame.

------------------
Jason E

'89 Camaro RS
-Medium Grey Metallic
-2.8, A4, T-tops, 95k miles
-Hypertech chip, Accel 8.8MM wires and coil
-K&Ns with gutted airbox
-Alpine 60x4 with Boston 746s and RX97s

'97 Z28
-30th Anniversary package (white with orange stripes)
-LT1, M6, t-tops, 46k miles
-Xtant 403a 50x4 + 300x1 powering a 10" Eclipse Aluminum in a JL Stealth box, Boston RM6 fronts, Monsoon rears (temporary!!), Eclipse 5341R CD, All Monster's goodies...
Speed Kills...Wanna live forever? Drive a Ford.
Long Live #3...