History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

vin numbers & rpo numbers ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '88 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
vin numbers & rpo numbers ?

I'm new here, but not new to these cars. I used to have a '87 Z-28 back when I was in high school. I ran across a guy selling a '88 GTA. The car looks totally stock and has the digital dash, no t-tops, leather interior that is shot, power seat, and still has the gta wheels. I did'nt even think to look for the disc brakes on the rear The car has a tranny going out and needs paint and attention on the inside but, it does crank up and sound fine, and even move just not shift very well. If the deal me and him worked out I should pick thecar up this coming sat. The lid to the glove box between the seats is gone so there goes the rpo codes from what I have read on here. Any other way to deteremine the rpo codes for this car? Any help would be aprreciated. Thanks.

Jamie R.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:59 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts
Re: vin numbers & rpo numbers ?

Originally Posted by Jamie R
I'm new here, but not new to these cars. I used to have a '87 Z-28 back when I was in high school. I ran across a guy selling a '88 GTA. The car looks totally stock and has the digital dash, no t-tops, leather interior that is shot, power seat, and still has the gta wheels. I did'nt even think to look for the disc brakes on the rear The car has a tranny going out and needs paint and attention on the inside but, it does crank up and sound fine, and even move just not shift very well. If the deal me and him worked out I should pick thecar up this coming sat. The lid to the glove box between the seats is gone so there goes the rpo codes from what I have read on here. Any other way to deteremine the rpo codes for this car? Any help would be aprreciated. Thanks.

Jamie R.
The 1988 GTA comes equipped with a list of items that are "standard" equipment as part of the Y84 (GTA) option.

All 1988 GTAs came with rear disc brakes as standard. Nearly 51% of GTAs in 1988 came with the digital dash as an option above the analog cluster.

The RPO/SPID sticker is not on the lid of the center console. You open up the lid, remove the cassette holder (if equipped) and there should be the RPO/SPID sticker glued to the inside wall of the center console itself - not the lid.

If it's not there, unless it's a Canadian GTA, you don't have a lot of options. You can contact PHS and order a kit/report. Unfortunately, the report does not include every single RPO code that would have been on the RPO/SPID sticker. But it's useful to verify the car is a real GTA, among other things.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:44 PM

Hey thanks JT! If the deal me and the guy have stays together then I'll have to look inside the console and hopefully it's still there. I really don't have any doubts that the car is not a gta from what I saw when I looked at it, but it would be neat to see the rpo codes. I'm in Ga., so I doubt it's a canadian car. Thanks again!

Jamie R.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:21 AM

Car: '88 GTA, '89, '94 Firebird, '84 T/A
Engine: 5.0L TPI (GTA); '89 -2.8; '94 -3.4
Transmission: 5 speed (for all 3),auto for T/A
Axle/Gears: 3.45 (GTA only)

If you have the VIN, you can try at your local GM dealership (throught the parts department) to see if they can give you the rpo codes.

In Canada it seems to be a lock, but in the US it is hit and miss.

HTH.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:36 PM

Car: 92 RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08

Originally Posted by GTA50
If you have the VIN, you can try at your local GM dealership (throught the parts department) to see if they can give you the rpo codes.

In Canada it seems to be a lock, but in the US it is hit and miss.

HTH.
Dont believe that you will have any luck with the dealer. I went this past Fri morn to have a vin on a 92 rs ran and it wouldnt pull anything up. The guy at the parts dept told me that gm has started cutting out alot more of the older stuff due to their current state and if its pre 96 you can pretty much forget about it.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:12 PM

Well I was out of luck on seeing the rpo codes sticker. The car has the single converter, 4 wheel disc, limited slip( it spins both tires), rear window defroster, digital dash, radio buttons on the steering wheel, and leather interior with power seat ( did'nt check to see if the pass side is power. I have the car back in my shop now, so I'm a third gen owner again. Be neat to see and know the codes, but that prolly will not happen it seems.

Jamie R.
'88 GTA
Old 05-30-2009, 11:24 PM

If the car has a 6000rpm tach on the digital dash does that mean anything?

Jamie R.
'88 GTA
Old 05-31-2009, 12:43 AM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 260 Likes on 186 Posts

If the car has a 6000rpm tach on the digital dash does that mean anything?

Jamie R.
'88 GTA
Well I was out of luck on seeing the rpo codes sticker. The car has the single converter, 4 wheel disc, limited slip( it spins both tires), rear window defroster, digital dash, radio buttons on the steering wheel, and leather interior with power seat ( did'nt check to see if the pass side is power. I have the car back in my shop now, so I'm a third gen owner again. Be neat to see and know the codes, but that prolly will not happen it seems.

Jamie R.
'88 GTA
Everything you described is basically a typical GTA for 1988. 4-wheel disc brakes in 1988 was standard on the GTA. Rear defrost was standard on the 1988 GTA. Steering wheel radio controls was also standard in 1988 on the GTA.

The leather interior and digital dash was optional, but the digital dash, in 1988, appeared in about 51% of all GTAs.

As far as the optional digital dash, the 6K tach in 1988 on the GTA was used regardless if it was a 350, 305/A4 or 305/5speed.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks JT! It also has the ws6 suspension. Thanks again for all your info help Jt, I by no means think I found a rare find or anything, I was just wondering if some of the options the car had would go along with it having the g92 rear. If the gta even came with a g92 rear.

Jamie R.
'88 GTA