History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

'82 CFI Pace Car Resto

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd
Re: '82 CFI Pace Car Resto

sub'd
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1982 Camaro Pace Car
Engine: LU5 Crossfire
Transmission: Auto

More bits and pieces done today. I removed the stripes from the hood which is the last of it. No more stripes on any part of the car. I was almost able to de-stripe the whole car with one stripe wheel but it didn't quite make it.

I spent a lot of time moving everything around in the garage so I could turn the car around. I needed it sticking out of the garage nose first so I could power wash the engine compartment. My driveway is not flat so I can't just roll it out there. I was surprised how easy it was to move the thing around by myself. The Palmolive power wash broke away most of the big gunk. The car was undercoated at some point so there is a lot of brown-ish over spray left in places. I'm still undecided if I try to clean that any further. It looks, well, 30 years old. The steering box and AC box are still in there along with the brake lines, so to do it right I'd have to remove that stuff first.

I also took the fenders off today. There were a few rust scabs on the lower, outside sections but inside they're very solid and I'll be reusing them.

The car has a factory power antenna which was disconnected and the mast was bent. The previous owner had an Alpine head installed which must not have supported the antenna system and rather than take the extra two minutes to just unplug the power antenna motor at the connector, they just cut the wires under the dash. It's not a huge deal because the mast was definitely junk and it also looks like the antenna motor had been repaired at one point, so I'm guessing it wasn't working anyway. One more thing to replace.

I was also going to disconnect the engine wiring harness connector on the passenger side so I could remove the rest of the engine wiring but I'm so freaking paranoid about breaking the plastic tabs that I just left it alone. I really need to get the rest of the wiring out of the way. If anyone has a sure fire way to disconnect this thing without breaking the tabs -- post up.

That's about it. The interesting find of the day was the last the last 6 digits of the VIN stamped into the forward, passenger side fender support. Didn't realize GM did that Maybe an anti-theft thing?

Will get more exciting "third gen without fenders" pics up later.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM

Today's blog:and today's pics:
'til next weekend.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Didn't have time to do anything last week and only spent a few hours on the car today.

A couple of weeks ago I went and talked to the guys who will be painting the car. It's a guy I know from work who now works for his brother doing body and paint work. His brother does custom paint and I'd seen his work, but had never met him. Turns out he's a great guy and we agreed in basic terms to what I wanted done and how I wanted it done. They have one job to do in November and will call me to get my car in after that. Since I'm in no rush, they were excited to have a car they could take their time on to document and help promote their business. As I was in the shop it kind of hit me how far I've come since I was now talking about paint. I'm thinking the car will go into the booth sometime in December, but I'm waiting for them to get a hold of me.

Last week I received my new ABS headliner and visors from PUI. I have the original board headliner that came out of the car but it is pretty nasty and starting to crumble, so it wasn't practical to reuse it. The visors were equally destroyed. The dark blue color PUI uses seems to be a pretty solid match for the carpet color I'll use from ACC, so I'm pretty happy with it. I haven't installed it yet, but from what I've read it should go right in.

Today I got the computer and related wiring out, along with the power antenna and wiring. To get the power antenna wiring out I ended up pulling the dash. The antenna relay is mounted to the back side of the passenger dash and was bolted from behind and the top, so there was very little access and I could not get a socket on it. With the dash pulled forward, it was a pretty easy.

In the process of doing that, the top piece of the right dash mounting hole/eyelet broke off. It was cracked when I'd first taken the dashpad off months aog and today the top portion broke off completely. I'll have to fix that. Seems like a lousy design to have a thin piece of plastic responsible carrying that kind of load. I also broke the right side mount that holds the dash cover to the lower, metal steering wheel/dash support within the steering wheel cavity.

My biggest problem, however, is that I now cannot get the dash back in place correctly. I got the top upper eyelet holes lined up fine, but the lower dash it too far forward by about 1" - 1.5". The lower dash support for where the steering column bolts up is also about 1" - 1.5" too far forward. I can push the lower plastic dash inward (toward the firewall) to get the bolt holes to line up but the amount of force to required to push the lower dash in to place is totally not right and would definitely cause it to crack somewhere. I've no idea what's in the way because it's off on both sides. I did not disconnect the wiring on the drivers side when I removed the dash, so the fuse box, etc. was all still in place. However, there's a ton of room there and I don't see that any of that wiring is causing any binding.

If anyone has an experience or ideas about getting the dash back in, let me know. It seems like the dash should just slide right back in place and line up with the holes perfectly but that's not the case. Something is definitely in the way but I can't figure it out.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 PM

Happy day after Thanksgiving everyone.

A few more hours and a little more progress today. I pulled the dash bolts again and studied the connectors that were stopping me from getting the dash out. After 30 or 45 minutes, I had disconnected the 10 or so connectors from the driver side and radio harness and the dash came right out (picture below, just to show off). It wasn't as nasty as I first thought a couple of weeks ago and like most things, it just took some time, a lot of time, and patience to sit there and study the various connectors to figure out how they were supposed to unhook. That was probably the most aggravating thing -- just about every connector has some different means of locking and I didn't want to break anything. Long story short -- the entire dash is now sitting safely in my basement where I can fix the passenger side eyelet that I broke two weeks ago when I was trying to get it out.

With the dash out I removed the heater core. Figure I may as well replace the heater core as long as I'm in there. I did some research a few weeks ago and it seems like copper tubed cores are getting impossible to find. Almost everyone sells aluminum heater cores. I don't know if that's the way the industry has moved but I'd never heard or an aluminum core before. Seems like the "universal" fit ones people used were crap and no one could make them work.

I also removed the seatbelt retractors from the B-pillar, removed the driver side seatbelt receiver and moved all the various interior parts that I've been storing inside the car down to my basement.

I think the last thing from a disassembly standpoint is the AC system. The wiring is now free from the inside so I just need to pull it through the firewall and I also need to remove the dryer and evaporator. Hopefully I can get that done before the weekend is over.
Attached Thumbnails '82 CFI Pace Car Resto-rvose_dash_out.jpg   '82 CFI Pace Car Resto-rvose_no_dash.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by FormerL69
I've always wanted to start one of these threads and now I have a reason.

I picked up my dream third gen a few weeks ago -- an '82 CFI Pace Car with all factory options except the J65 rear discs. This is the car I've wanted to own since I was 12.

The car has 67,500 original miles and is bone stock. The previous owner had it since '84. The CFI is dirty but works great and is completely unhacked, which is practically a miracle. I know the CFI gets no love, but IMHO it represents the starting point for modern day fuel injection. Almost everything else acceossory-wise works (even the rear wiper) -- the only exceptions are the power pull down hatch and the power antenna.

The car spent its entire life in Florida, so the paint is shot, the interior carpet and panels are all faded so she needs some TLC. Aside from a few rust scabs on the body, the floor pans and rest of the metal is solid.

I won't be doing a 100 point, rotisserie restoration, but my plan is to completely freshen the car to take to shows and to just enjoy on the weekends.

Here are a few pics in all it's 30 year old, 165 HP CFI glory.

It feels great to have a third gen again after so many years (sold my '84 L69 Z28 back in '90). The only work I've done so far was to put new plugs and wires in. I'm already discovering how challenging it will be to find '82 specific parts (dash pads and door sills -- anyone? anyone? ).

Don't look for weekly updates from me, as I have a day job and family, but hopefully over the coming year I can make some progress and share the details. I'm amazed at what people here have accomplished with their restorations and it's good motivation for me.
I don't know if it's worth it but there is one for sale http://greensboro.craigslist.org/cto/3407459815.html
would love to see it fixed up not mine but I know there rare.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM
COTM Editor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA

How you coming along on this. Its gonna getting warm soon, so need to get on it

You should try and make it up to our club meeting thing at my shop in FOCO on April 28th.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM

LOL -- I haven't done anything since my last post back on 11/23/12. Winter is a busy time for my family so free for me time on weekends is scarce. That and it's just too cold. The weather is getting nice enough so I'll be back out there soon. My basement looks like a giant closet of interior parts right now.

I'll try to make it up to FOCO on the 28th if I can. Will PM you for time & info...
Old 05-26-2013, 03:57 PM

Hi everyone. It's been a very long time since I've posted any updates on my pace car and I just wanted to let everyone know I'm still out here.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to do anything with the car over the last several months. I still need to remove the AC system and then get my paint guys lined up fix the dings and shoot it. Engine and tranny still need to be sent out too.

I've had a lot of family commitments (all good things) on the weekends in April and May so the car has had to take a back seat for the time being.

Having just watched the Indy 500 today, it really makes me want to back to the project, but family comes first.

Hopefully once I get in to June I'll have some more time and will get back at it. Can't believe it's been over a year since I started disassembling. My wife keeps asking me what my timeframe is to finish everything and I keep telling her "when it's done."

That's all for now. Hopefully some updates in the coming weeks.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:46 AM

I love cars but sometimes I let them take over. It's nice to know you have your priorities in the right place. Hopefully you will be able to "get back to work!" soon.

Efforts to keep this car original are much appreciated!
Old 06-06-2013, 07:23 PM

Talked to a guy Monday and plan to take the TH200C in tomorrow to be cleaned up and gone through. It's a local guy with his own shop who does nothing but trans work. No negative reviews that I could find and after talking to him he seems trustworthy and knows what he's doing. It's always such a crap shoot. Problem, of course, is that even after he cleans it up, I won't be ready to actually road test it for months. Fortunately he offers a 3 year warranty, so hopefully I'll be back on the road before that runs out.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Spent an hour or so in the garage tonight and removed the entire AC system as a whole unit. I also pulled the mixer door assembly (or whatever it's official name is) from the interior so I could get some last wires pulled out through the firewall. My last minor thing for tonight was to disconnect the power steering pump from the steering box and remove it.

As I looked over things tonight, I was satisfied that this is as far as I'm going with the disassembly process. As I've said from the start, I don't intend for this car to be a 100 point show car or trailer queen. I plan to drive it.

The brake lines, fuel lines, miscellaneous hoses, brake booster and such are still in place and will stay there through paint. There's just no need to remove them. Yes, I could remove them and clean them or, but they'll never be judged. I think there's enough out of the way to do a solid clean up of the engine compartment for paint and to have it look good.

Next order of business is to get with my paint guy and get on his calendar. I'm also going to get the materials to start prepping and painting the interior plastics I pulled out of a yard last year. I need to find a local place that mixes PPG interior paint.

It feels pretty good to get moving again. I can definitely see why these projects last years - and I'm not even going to the level of detail some people do.

Another side comment is that as I've taken this car apart, I can envision how the car was originally put together at the plant. While doing the reverse of what the factory did 31 years ago, I can see the logic in how the car was designed and how the various sub-assemblies and components were intended to put on (in order) and how it all came together. It'll be fun to eventually start following that path.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:47 AM

Car: 2000 SS Camaro LS1
Engine: 347 cu in mild mods
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 or 4:10 depends on what I'am d

Keep up the good work Randy and just a word of caution.

Look over the steel and rubber brake lines real close. In the past, I've seen what appeared to be solid lines suddenly spring a leak from a tiny pin hole. And the rubber hoses are known to collapse internally.

If the $$ is in your budget, I highly recommend going to stainless lines, new hoses and silicone brake fluid - DOT 5.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the tip on the brake lines. It would be well within my budget to replace the lines and hoses. Given that I don't know when or if they've ever been replaced I'll probably go ahead and do it regardless.

Last Friday I dropped the trans off at a local shop to be gone through and cleaned up. There was actually another really nice third gen Z28 (customer car) there waiting to be picked up. No word from them on my trans yet, but I told him I wasn't in a hurry either.

Tomorrow I'm dropping the block and heads off at a local machine shop. The block will be cleaned, checked and machined as necessary. I doubt it really needs anything since the engine only has 68k miles on the clock. The shop will put in new freeze plugs and cam bearings. They'll also disassemble, clean and check the heads. I bought a full Comp Cams K-kit with new springs and retainers which they will install for me.

I still need to get with my paint guy. I gathered up all of the exterior bits and put them in the car expecting that I'll be shipping it off soon. I also hope to get some interior paint tomorrow so I can start prepping and painting some of my replacement interior panels this weekend.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Supreme Member

hawks has stainless pre bent lines, if you never wanna have to replace them again
Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
COTM Editor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 91 Z28, 87 SC, 90 IROC, 92 RS
Engine: LS1, 305 TPI, L98, NADA
Transmission: T56, 700r4's, and NADA
Axle/Gears: 3.89, 3.42, 3.23, NADA

Nice to see your able to get some progress on it! I bet your getting excited now
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM

Definitely got some motivation back Brandon. The engine and heads are at the shop to be taken care of. I'm sorry to say I didn't use your guy in FoCo because it was just too far to drive up there. The guy doing the work for me is literally 20 minutes from my house.

I also went to a couple of paint shops around town looking for interior paint to do repaint my replacement panels but none of them could provide mixed interior paint in an aerosol can.

One place said (to my face, as I was standing there) that they could do it, but they needed a panel to match color from. So I drive all the way home, grab a panel, drive all the way back and the guy behind the counter then tells me "I can't put interior paint in an aerosol can" . The original guy I was talking to (older guy) was at lunch and I was pissed and didn't feel like waiting for him to get back.

Everyone I talked to could match the color just fine but none of them could put it in a spray can for me. So I did what I should have done in the first place -- I called BAPS in York, PA and ordered from them. It's not cheap, but others here on TGO, per this thread: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...ic-carpet.html have had really good results with them. I need to send them some color samples to match from, but my old panels are junk anyway so cutting them up was no big loss.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:50 AM

Had my paint guy come by the other night to look over the car. His quote was about where I expected given the work to be done. I'm still mulling whether or not there are things I can do to save some cost. I'm also having a friend who is does paint review the quote to see if it's in line. They should be able to get the car in around the middle of July, but I need to rehang the fenders and put the other body panels back on so his guy can check the fitment. The two tone paint job certainly adds cost to the equation. Paint and body is always one of the most expensive part of the project. At least it is if you want it done right.

I spent a good chunk of time tonight ordering the various stuff I need to put the engine back together (rings, gaskets, oil pump, etc.).

Last Friday I sent BAPS out in York, PA some pieces of unfaded interior plastic so they can mix up my interior paint. Haven't heard from them yet.

That's where things stand for now.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

BAPS will take care of you. They did a great job on my match and that paint works great. One thing I would have done different - I would have bough the paint in a can and shot it myself. Those sprays don't go too far, and if you are at all handy with a spray gun, that stuff sprays pretty good. I ran out of the sprays and bought a pint from them.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 AM
Supreme Member

BTW - how are the interior panels in your car? Any fading? Fading is bad and means that the plastic has degraded. When you clean the panels the top layer will turn to dust. I had to replace every interior piece in my car due to this.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:06 PM

sub'd
Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 82tarecaro
BTW - how are the interior panels in your car? Any fading? Fading is bad and means that the plastic has degraded. When you clean the panels the top layer will turn to dust. I had to replace every interior piece in my car due to this.
They're junk. All of them. Take a look at my site and you can see the damage:

http://www.vosehome.net/82pacecar/pr...terior-panels/

It's exactly as you said -- the sun completely turned them to powder. I've picked up replacements from a local yard and some members here on TGO. No word from BAPS this week, which was a bit of a disappointment. I was hoping to paint some of them this weekend, but no such luck.

I don't have a gun or a compressor to shoot the panels or I'd do it that way. i could probably rent the equipment, but the results people have had with the aerosol seems to be pretty solid. If it looks like garbage after I spray them then I will break down and have the local shop mix up the paint in a can and will ask an acquaintance of mine who is a painter and who has the equipment to shoot them for me.

Last edited by FormerL69; 06-21-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

The aerosols work great. I used them with good results. I ran out of paint and bought a pint and shot it with a gun the second time. It is just a better value that way. But you should do fine with the aerosols. Just make sure you clean the panels thoroughly and use an adhesion promoter and you should be fine.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:25 AM

Car: 2000 SS Camaro LS1
Engine: 347 cu in mild mods
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 or 4:10 depends on what I'am d

Just make sure you clean the panels thoroughly and use an adhesion promoter and you should be fine.
Randy, this is a MUST DO when painting any plastic. Also, I've found that Dawn dish soap works wonders when cleaning.

What type of paint is your 'paint guy' going to use? Urthane base coat clear coat or....?

Keep up the good work - Craig.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 AM
Supreme Member

Baps sells Deltron DBI which is a single stage urethane for interior use. It can be cleared if you want. But Baps gets the sheen correct and clearing over it would change that. I did not have good results on the 1 panel I tried to clear. I was told by an employee at Baps to clear within 24 hours. When I cleared it the finish got hazy. So I redid it without clear. This was the hatch cover and I thought clearing it would give it more durability. But it seems fine without it. I have tried scratching the finish off on a test piece but that only left a scratch that would have marked it even if it was not painted.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:29 PM

Appreciate the input guys.

BAPS will give me the Deltron DBI interior in an aerosol. I plan to bristle brush/scrub the panels with dish soap (Palmolive or Dawn) to degrease them first. My painter friend (who restored his 72 Cougar from scratch - it's awesome, even for a Ford, LOL) then recommended going over the panels again with lacquer thinner to get any remaining residue off. I'm not sure if the thinner would eat the plastic or not, and he strongly recommended trying it out on an obscure spot to make sure it wouldn't damage the plastic or the finish. Then hit it with the adhesion promoter and paint. Not sure which promoter I'll use. I've read good and bad about Bulldog and the others that are out there. My gut is that any of them are probably find and the issues I've read about were due to insufficient prep.

Craig -- I assume you're asking about the paint for the body and yes, the shop will use PPG base/clear. They aren't going to take the whole body down to bare metal as the paint that's on there now isn't horrible and there has been no previous body damage or repair that needs to be mitigated. Stripping it completely is obviously the right way to do it but is too much for my budget. The paint work alone is going to cost 3x more than the car cost me, but paint is always where it gets expensive unless you can do it yourself and have access to the right equipment and facilities, etc.

The shop will block-sand the whole car to find and fix any low spots first, fix the various dings and dents, remove weatherstripping, mask then shoot everything silver. They will let the silver set, overlay the blue, including rolling the blue over to the door jamb edges as the factory did it.

As I said, this shop has done show cars which I've seen in person and they do everything right. Even talking with the guy last week he was asking all the right questions and knew what he was doing. They don't just do a cheap mask & shoot job. My father was a body and paint man for many years and we did body and paint on two of my previous Camaros when I was younger. Fortunately, from that experience I am familiar with the process and the effort involved. Part of me wishes I had a place to do it the prep and paint myself, but this is the one area where I'm going to let a professional handle it all. Everyone see the paint.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28, 1989 TTA #922
Engine: lb9, 3.8L turbo
Transmission: 700r4, 2004R

Subscribed! some nice progress recently man keep the updates coming!
Old 06-22-2013, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro Z28, 1989 TTA #922
Engine: lb9, 3.8L turbo
Transmission: 700r4, 2004R

and i thought only mercury made a cougar?
Old 06-23-2013, 10:12 PM

A few small updates:

I scored a NOS GM heater core off of eBay last night. I'm really happy about that since nobody makes an exact fit replacement and they certainly don't make copper ones any more. I wasn't too keen on using a universal fit, aluminum aftermarket one and now I don't have to. The NOS one only cost me $58 too.

I also ordered all of the parts for the engine rebuild (rings, gaskets, etc.) this week. They're all on the way here. I haven't gotten an ETA from either my engine or trans guy yet, but I told them I was in no big hurry.

Today I rehung the fenders, re-installed the front fascia, rear bumper and hood per a request from my painter. It kind of looks like a car again. The painter wanted his shop guys to see the how the lines on the car looked and how the blue paint lines lined up between the panels from the factory.

It was a good exercise for me as I had to spend a lot of time adjusting the lower fender flanges. Someone (as is always the case) had used the flanges on both sides as a jacking point in the past. I found both had been crushed flat when I removed the fenders last year. I beat the flanges back in to a vertical position and got the drivers side lined up nearly perfect, but the passenger side is giving me a bit of trouble. Not sure if it's the sheet metal or if the flange needs a bit more "adjustment" The lower bolt holes are lining up ok, but the center line of the fender and the lower lip for the ground effect do not line up with the door. They're off by maybe 1/16".

My wife helped me get the hood back on. The hood on the driver side is sitting way too high from the front to about 3/4 of the way back but the passenger side sits perfectly level front to back. Not sure why the driver side is off so badly as there were no fender shims originally and it all lined up fine before I took it apart. Not too concerned about it but I want to make sure it all lines up the way it should before the paint guys get a hold of it.

I was also pretty happy that my bagging and tagging of parts was good. I was able to easily find all of the bolts and nuts and things went back together pretty quickly.

I need to confirm the quote with my painter and if nothing has changed the car will either go in to his shop on Monday 7/15 or Monday 7/22. They extensively document and take pictures of everything they do, so I'll post progress on my site once things get going.

Last thing I did today was to take the metal mounting strips off the CFI flap assembly and brush them clean. The metal has to be re-bonded to the hood and the metal straps were coated with rust. They didn't clean up nearly as good as they need to be so I need to find someone who can gently media blast them clean. The flap assembly has a couple of plasstic pieces that have snapped off so I need to rebond those.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI

Sounds like you're making good progress. Can't wait to see pictures
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM

The UPS man dropped of most of my internal engine bits today. Ironically, my engine guy also called out of the blue this morning to let me know that he needs me to drop off my cam so he can make sure he gets the right bearings. He also needs the intake gaskets to clean up the ports on the heads. Things are moving ahead ...

Last edited by FormerL69; 06-24-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Supreme Member

What cam are you going with?
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM

What cam are you going with?
Comp Cams XE256H. Seemed to be the preferred street cam based on research here on TGO.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Supreme Member

Are you making any other upgrades to the engine? I just threw a few upgrades at my CFI with the intent on keeping a stock appearance. I use L69 manifolds and Y pipe and a Renegade intake, as well as a TPI fuel pump and increased fuel pressure. Seat of the pants, the engine feels stronger. Not much accuracy in a butt dyno though.

Last edited by 82tarecaro; 06-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:56 PM

Are you making any other upgrades to the engine? I just threw a few upgrades at my CFI with the intent on keeping a stock appearance. I use L69 manifolds and Y pipe and a Renegade intake, as well as a TPI fuel pump and increased fuel pressure. Seat of the pants, the engine feels stronger. Not much accuracy in a butt dyno though.
The butt dyno is all that really matters. I'm not planning any other upgrades to the engine. I needed a cam and since Comp already had something that was CFI friendly I went with it. Nobody will ever see it. I thought about going with the Renegade intake, but at the end of the day I'm not trying to make any more HP than the car came with. I suppose the Renegade could improve driveability, but with only 160 HP, the stock setup should be fine for me for just cruising around. If I were building it up to be more than it was when it left the factory, I'd definitely be making the same changes you did. I've heard the CFI is a bit picky about fuel pressure, but the pump in my car is not too old (according the receipts from the previous owner) so I'll go with what I have until it starts giving up.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

I was forced to take care of some issues so I took the opportunity to upgrade some things. The pump went on me and the car looked like crap under hood. So I made a few changes. I wasn't looking to go crazy either. I am more happy with the drive-ability of the car then it was previously. She starts right up, and idles smoothly. Much better then it was before, and it is proof that the CFI engines can run good with a little effort.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1983 Pontiac Trans Am Daytona 500
Engine: Crossfire 305ci V8
Transmission: Jasper 700R4 4 speed Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip/posi

The butt dyno is all that really matters. I'm not planning any other upgrades to the engine. I needed a cam and since Comp already had something that was CFI friendly I went with it. Nobody will ever see it. I thought about going with the Renegade intake, but at the end of the day I'm not trying to make any more HP than the car came with. I suppose the Renegade could improve driveability, but with only 160 HP, the stock setup should be fine for me for just cruising around. If I were building it up to be more than it was when it left the factory, I'd definitely be making the same changes you did. I've heard the CFI is a bit picky about fuel pressure, but the pump in my car is not too old (according the receipts from the previous owner) so I'll go with what I have until it starts giving up.
Is that the can that classic industries sells for the CFI ? Do you have a part number?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by KITT1983
Is that the can that classic industries sells for the CFI ? Do you have a part number?
I believe it's the same cam Classic sells for the CFI. I recall emailing Classic about it and their response was that it was the Comp part. Since I needed all of the valvetrain parts as well, I just ordered mine directly from Comp as part of their K-kit, p/n K12-234-2:

Here are the cam specs:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...x?csid=84&sb=2

For those interested -- I try to post the relevant parts and numbers I've been using on the Research and Vendors page on my site:

http://www.vosehome.net/82pacecar/re...d-vendors.html
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 AM

I was forced to take care of some issues so I took the opportunity to upgrade some things. The pump went on me and the car looked like crap under hood. So I made a few changes. I wasn't looking to go crazy either. I am more happy with the drive-ability of the car then it was previously. She starts right up, and idles smoothly. Much better then it was before, and it is proof that the CFI engines can run good with a little effort.
I agree. I think the CFI, in general, gets a bad rap due to low HP numbers and the fact that it was one of the first, true electronic FI systems which most techs just didn't know how to deal with. My opinion is that guys used to working on carbs were scared of the technology and tried to fix and tune them like a carb, which you just can't do. Granted, properly balancing the TBs isn't exactly rocket science, but it's more involved than just changing jets or adjusting an idle screw to get it to run right. That's one of the reason I wanted a CFI. It's got a little historical significance in my mind and because most people junked then, you just don't see them much (except for the Corvette).
Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 AM

Question for you CFI guys -- my understanding is that the small ports on the intake side are there to gain some velocity. Since I'm building back to stock, I don't want to touch those from a porting standpoint. I'm going leave them as is because it just doesn't make any sense without other mods (headers, etc.).

My question is on the head side. I assume I should have my engine guy gasket-match the ports on the heads. The quality of the factory casting is what you'd expect:

http://www.vosehome.net/82pacecar/_M...3065_1720.jpeg

So -- to me, seems that cleaning up the path to prevent disturbance of the incoming/outgoing air would be helpful. Obviously there won't be any big gain nor am I looking for one, but it's one of those "as long as we're in here" situations. Any opinions? Should I have my guy clean up the ports just for the sake of doing it?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Question for you CFI guys -- my understanding is that the small ports on the intake side are there to gain some velocity. Since I'm building back to stock, I don't want to touch those from a porting standpoint. I'm going leave them as is because it just doesn't make any sense without other mods (headers, etc.).

My question is on the head side. I assume I should have my engine guy gasket-match the ports on the heads. The quality of the factory casting is what you'd expect:

So -- to me, seems that cleaning up the path to prevent disturbance of the incoming/outgoing air would be helpful. Obviously there won't be any big gain nor am I looking for one, but it's one of those "as long as we're in here" situations. Any opinions? Should I have my guy clean up the ports just for the sake of doing it?
I'd be tempted to port match in your situation, too.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

i see no harm in port matching, you might even gain 1-2 hp
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Denis from BAPS just called. Great guy to speak with.

He said my interior paint will ship today. They didn't have a blend for the dark blue in their computer, so the color he matched from my interior panel is now the official 1982 pace car dark blue in their system. LOL.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Wonder if it's the same blue in my '83?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Supreme Member

They did the same for my 82 TA with Charcoal interior and the match was great. So if anyone needs paint for their 82 TA with charcoal interior they have that color too.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Supreme Member

I don't think you would gain anything unless you open up the intake ports as well. It would just be as it is now - a large head port into a tiny intake port.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 PM

Not sure if the dark blue on the pace car interior was the same as the regular dark blue in 82/83. It probably was.

Stopped by my engine guys shop to drop off my cam a little bit ago. He said that cleaning up the ports was pointless on a street motor such as this, so I'm not going to do it. The improvement, if any, would be almost negligible. It makes sense. The car ran for 70k miles just fine with things the way they are.

He said he would be done with the engine and heads in the next day or two. The block was on the bench ready for bearings to go in. It sure cleaned up nice. I forgot to take him my value stem gaskets, so I need to drop those off tomorrow AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:25 PM

It's been quite a week so far.

This afternoon I got a call from my transmission guy that he's done rebuilding my 200C. Sounds like things were pretty hacked up inside the case. He said it took him way longer than normal because nobody around here stocks any 200C parts and nearly everything he needed had to be ordered. In any event, it's done and I'll pick it up Friday. Too bad I won't know how well it shifts for many more months yet.

My engine guy then called 15 minutes later and said he was done and I could pick up the block and heads. I'll get those Friday too.

The UPS man also delivered my CFI intake gaskets today.

It's crazy how many things came together all at once this week: heads are done, block is prepped, tranny is done, interior paint is mixed and painter is scheduled.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI

Sounds like you're making progress. Good luck with it.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

can't wait to see it done

Quick Reply: '82 CFI Pace Car Resto