History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

17 year old Camaro owner needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 84 Trans Am, 84 Fiero, 86 944
Engine: 5.0, 2.5, 2.5
Transmission: 5spd
Re: 17 year old Camaro owner needs advice

Originally Posted by AmorgetRS
No, if it was an 89 then it wasn't a SE and didn't have WS7. WS7 was the WS6 without rear disc brakes only in like 82-84 or so. The last year of the SE was 85 I believe.

my mistake here i was thinking SEs where a later thing but if it wasn't ws7then perhaps it could have been a ws6 car, i was thinking that ws7 was an rpo throughout the production run distinguishing only between a disc rear and a drum rear, i know it had drums and 10.5 discs up front pretty thick (z28 same size) sway bars in front and back and 15" wheels, not the formula ones but the regular firebird ones, it habdled GREAT and i'm really not exaggerating that i do not know any of the rpos though as the console lid was gone when i bought it and i never found a build sheet, i do know the decals are a bitch to find, i believe there 88-89 formula stripes as the car was repainted in 2002 in the same black color it was stock but the decals were added any way we can tell from the vin, also sorry to threadjack
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kmcn47
my mistake here i was thinking SEs where a later thing but if it wasn't ws7then perhaps it could have been a ws6 car, i was thinking that ws7 was an rpo throughout the production run distinguishing only between a disc rear and a drum rear, i know it had drums and 10.5 discs up front pretty thick (z28 same size) sway bars in front and back and 15" wheels, not the formula ones but the regular firebird ones, it habdled GREAT and i'm really not exaggerating that i do not know any of the rpos though as the console lid was gone when i bought it and i never found a build sheet, i do know the decals are a bitch to find, i believe there 88-89 formula stripes as the car was repainted in 2002 in the same black color it was stock but the decals were added any way we can tell from the vin, also sorry to threadjack
99.999999% it wasn't a WS6 car from the factory. One give away is that it had 15" rims, all the later WS6 cars had 16" rims. Basically WS6 was N/A on the base model, standard on the GTA and Formula, and an option on the Trans Am.

Link for your reading: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...6-package.html

And other for the 89 model year: https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...rebird-ws.html
Old 06-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Black IROC-Z convertible
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto

Aren't we a little off track?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:07 PM

Car: '83 Camaro Z28
Engine: "Just a little something"
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:73

I was once a kid JUST like you. May I suggest, just from personal experience? Dont rush anything. Dont do what people suggest or go with the "norm". When doing that you are not making the car your "own". You arejust making it like everyone elses. My suggestion is to take your time. Do some resesrch and see what you like, what intreguies you and most importantly, what you can afford. If you are planning on keeping this car forever like you say then dont rush things and espically dont worry about smoking mustangs. Take a stroll through a kunkyard. You will see 100 mustangs to every 1 third gen. Thats because every douchebag on the planet has a mustang and either blows it up or smashes it. You are already better than them because you know what you have and obviously dont want to ruin it. You seem like a smart kid. TAKE YOUR TIME, DO WHAT YOU (and only you) WANT TO DO AND DONT WORRY ABOUT THEM 'MUSTARDSTAINS! In 2 years theyll be gone but youll still have a nice 3rd gen which, in my opinion, is worth more than "smokin" a $&@#box mustang.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Christine Z28
Engine: RV Cam and Intake 350 SBC
Transmission: 5speed
Axle/Gears: 3.08 ls Posi

I'd start with the basics, headers, 3 inch exhaust, wider wheels, 3.42 rear gear ratio, ram air hood, and COMPLETE ignition and fuel system.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Richboll
Aren't we a little off track?
sorry, posts in the appropriate thread
Old 08-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Car: 1992 camaro rs convertible
Engine: 3.1 liter v6
Transmission: automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi trac

I see were your coming from i just got my first car back in feb of 2012 and it is a 1992 convertible rs and i want to do so many things to it to but with yours and mine being the way they are id suggest keeping it original i mean they are becoming harder to find and they are classics this year but its a REALLY nice camaro
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Firebird

Originally Posted by Linson
a couple of things...

dispite what people think or want to believe - NOBODY is looking for a stock RS. Nobody. and they never will be. never. people ARE looking for IROCS. people ARE looking for Formulas. people ARE looking for GTAs. not base models (RS's), regardless of condition. not saying that good condition cant be a selling point for a base model, but seriously, do you want a fast car or do you want to turn your $2500.00 (or whatever you paid for it) into $3200.00 in five years?
About a month ago, I had a "nobody" approach me at a gas station and ask me if my stock '90 Firebird V6 was for sale. I told him it wasn't. He offered $4,000. I told him it was my first car and I won't sell it. He left me his business card and told me to call him if I ever wanted to sell it. He wanted to buy it because it is completely restored stock and almost mint. He commented (as I'm sure many on this site have been told) "You just don't see them in that condition anymore." Not to say that 5.0s and 5.7s which aren't stock aren't more desireable or worth more, because of course they are. But some people feel the need to talk trash about base model cars. That viewpoint is very shortsighted. Just keep in mind that there are those out there who respect and want these cars for appearances over engine capability just as the reverse is true. Heck, I'll even stop to look at 4 cylinder Firebirds or 2.8 liter V6s if they look nice. I'm more into the historical interest of these cars than performance, and there are many more "nobodys" like me out there are local cruise-ins and other events than some people realize (or want to acknowledge).
Old 08-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

pics? plz
Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4 Auto

Yes, pics would be nice.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by BrownBullet83Z
I was once a kid JUST like you. May I suggest, just from personal experience? Dont rush anything. Dont do what people suggest or go with the "norm". When doing that you are not making the car your "own". You arejust making it like everyone elses. My suggestion is to take your time. Do some resesrch and see what you like, what intreguies you and most importantly, what you can afford. If you are planning on keeping this car forever like you say then dont rush things and espically dont worry about smoking mustangs. Take a stroll through a kunkyard. You will see 100 mustangs to every 1 third gen. Thats because every douchebag on the planet has a mustang and either blows it up or smashes it. You are already better than them because you know what you have and obviously dont want to ruin it. You seem like a smart kid. TAKE YOUR TIME, DO WHAT YOU (and only you) WANT TO DO AND DONT WORRY ABOUT THEM 'MUSTARDSTAINS! In 2 years theyll be gone but youll still have a nice 3rd gen which, in my opinion, is worth more than "smokin" a $&@#box mustang.
I'm siding with the don't mod it crowd here. Why? A) It's a nice original car (which are getting more and more rare, particularly RS and Sport Coupes); B) It's not going to be that fast with the kind of mods you can probably afford at this point; and, C) no one really drag races anymore, it's not that cool, penalties if you get caught are very severe (i.e. bye-bye driver's license), and even if you win, what have you won? No chick is going to say "God, that guy in the loud fast Camaro is soooo cool, I must date him!" Yeah, right, LOL!

But, if you absolutely must do it, I would sell this one and pick up a '98-02 Z28 with an LS1. That alone will bring you 3 seconds closer to bliss, and will be much cheaper than trying to mod this car into the 13s (which, let's face it, is going to take an engine and transmission swap, for starters, with your current vehicle).
Old 08-19-2012, 11:31 PM

I know I'll be hated on.. but get a pair of rims that are in pretty rough shape, sand them down, and paint them black. For some reason black rims on just about any car seems to turn heads... I actually just got my 92 rs a month or so ago... having some mechanical pains. Feel lucky.