History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Looking for advice on third gen purchase..please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on third gen purchase..please!

First I'd like to apologize if this isn't the right thread for this type of question but I've always loved reading the threads here and have always wanted a third gen camaro which is my dream car. I found one in Ohio where I live that is affordable for me, but I wanted to ask you guys your opinion of it and if it's a good idea to purchase. I know it's not perfect and I plan on spending money to fix it, but here's the link.

http://www.teamraymotorsports.com/de...fID=3493&.aspx

So, I drove many miles to go there and see it and the first thing I find out is that it's not really an IROC, but a plain sport coupe. Then I find out from the CARFAX it's got a salvage title because of a theft (which is now no problem) and has been in one accident before (they don't know how severe). Also the CARFAX had the mileage at one point 67,000 then 169,000 then 70,000 then 77,000, but the guy there said it could've been a mistake. Visually I noticed small cosmetic things that needed to be changed: door handle was loose, small rip in seat, a little scratch up by the hood, all things that could be fixed. Then I noticed how really thick the paint seemed to be and this was a red flag. Also noticed a tiny spider web of paint on back under the tail light where it had been scraped. I want to get it inspected by a third party, do you guys have any advice on how to do this? They say it's a good running car but I'm concerned about life of clutch and other things like that. I just am not that skilled as far as cars go but I love these damn things with all my heart and finally found one I can afford and it's exactly what I was looking for: black, blacked out tail lights, chrome exhaust..etc. Well, what do you all think? Thanks a lot guys!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Rebuilt 350 going in after paint
Transmission: WCT5, 7k & counting behind the 350
Axle/Gears: 4thgen disc rear w/ 3.73 Posi
Re: Looking for advice on third gen purchase..please!

First things I see are the steering wheel is from a firebird, not a camaro, and the air cleaner isn't stock. Does it have the factory TBI or is it a carb? If its a carb, you may have problems getting it inspected since these cars didnt have carbs past 85 or so. A small rip in the seat is normal wear, as is the corner of he dash pad. Someone swapped out the valve covers and breather, so I would guess the engine has had some work at some point. Another reason I would suspect a carb instead of the TBI. Otherwise, it looks nice, but being in Ohio, you REALLY need to check it over for rust. If its not a true IROC, you should be able to talk them down a good bit on price since they have it listed as something it's not. That, plus the fact it's got a salvage title and a wreck of unknown severity tells me its way overpriced. KBB.com doesn't go back that far for price lookup, but I wouldn't pay more than 2500-3000 for it. And that assumes no significant rust. Any reputable dealer will let you take it to an independent mechanic for an evaluation. If they say no, that's a HUGE red flag.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,688 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Looks like somebody else's "project" car.

I'd pass.

Look for an unmolested one, at the top of the line. IROC, GTA, L69 if it's an earlier year, TPI/5-spd, 350 (original only), G92, etc. NOT, something cobbled together and dipped in a paint bucket to fool the inexperienced. Because unfortunately, that happens all too often; easiest way to conceal rust, lots of body work, etc. etc., is to simply squirt a coat over it.

Good thing you came here and asked BEFORE buying it, instead of what we see all too often; "I just bought this {fill in the blank} and the PO told me {fill in the blank stuff about Vette, hi-perf, low-miles, you name it} and now I'm finding out {wrecked, motor is a cheeeep rebuilder POS and not original, car needs this that the other, can't get it inspected because of ..., etc}, did I get a good deal?" Well, DUH; if you have to ask, ... you do the rest of the math.

Keep on looking. Look farther from home. Specifically, get out of the rust belt. Around where you are, cars dissolve over time; if you want a decent one, look around somewhere that they don't. Believe me, the price of shipping yourself one way to pick one up and drive it back, is AHELLUVALOT cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeper than trying to either "fix" (impossible) a rust bomb, or trying to find one in your area that's NOT already rusted out and paying what people will ask for such a car.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

I see all kinds of red flags. IMO, your best bet is to find a meticulous owner that has had the car a long time and can tell you all sorts of things about it. When you get to know these cars longer and have the means to calculate the cost of repairs and the means to do them, then you can move onto something more questionable like this.

Looks like the dash pad is cracked (overexposed image), possibly the wrong wheels, tail light covers can hide damage, and be careful of the ground effects hiding rust. It's nothing special IMO and I would move on.

These are things that are either going to cost big money and/or hurt your resale value.
  • Salvage: Poor resale and muddy history
  • Mileage discrepancies
  • Wrong parts
  • Theft = abuse IMO
  • Thick paint: How much is it going to cost and what surprises will you find when sanding it down?
Think of it this way, if you know it's going to need paint any time soon then visualize it in primer with bondo spots all over it. That's what you really have on your hands. The discrepancies and unknowns make it kind of a hostile purchase vs. someone passing on their pride and joy to you. If they're unclear about that, they're also going to be unclear about what's hiding under the paint and also the engine and drive train. As for anything else that comes up after the purchase, well they didn't know.
I usually walk or lowball if someone pulls a bait and switch like that. Don't ever fall in love with anything, learn what the cost of repairs are so that you can make a factual decision.
I would purchase “The Camaro White Book” so that you know what you're looking at. (Don't pay more than $15 btw. You can also find the info online)
Camaro White Book: Mike Antonick: 9780760318799: Amazon.com: Books Camaro White Book: Mike Antonick: 9780760318799: Amazon.com: Books
The cost of the book would have saved you the cost of gas.
Knowing the RPO codes and VIN tags would help you a lot here.

Simple deal is that it's a bait and switch with a side unaccoutntable history. Keep the dream alive by avoiding the disappointment.

Last edited by Scorpner; 03-02-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:32 AM

Car: 4/89 IROC Z28 G92 -
Engine: LB9 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Are you looking for a daily driver or weekend car ? your age ?

And good advise so far.... and good you asked for it.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

This is someone's cobbled together project car. Unless the SPID tells me otherwise, I say this is NOT an IROC-Z. When ever I see "custom" changes, I get nervous. Doubts on mileage? Subtract from price. Firebird steering wheel? Subtract from price. Custom hood? Subtract from price. Adveritized as an IROC-Z but actually a hacked together base model? Subtract, subtract, subtract.

It is a 5 speed though......

For the asking price you could get a nice, unmolested, original. Either beat them up senselessly on price or walk away.

Last edited by chazman; 03-02-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Wow thank you so much for the fast replies guys, firebird steering wheel..this is great stuff here. I'll take your all's advice and pass then. I'll admit I got caught up on location, price, looks, etc.. but I had a gut feeling that I'd be paying in the long run. You guys helped save me a hell of a lot of trouble and I thank you. I can't really ask anyone I know because they all laugh at me and think all of them are just 30 year P.O.S. with no hope. I'll keep looking! The camaro I buy I plan to run until it dies, only car I've ever loved and always dreamed of having. And to Van Nuys, I'm 24 and looking for a dd, yes.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

8th digit of the VIN is an E - TBI car

And it's an '88... No carbs in '88

I'd pass, as others said...
Old 03-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

Sofa hit the nail on the head, when it comes to third gens you want one with as little modding as possible unless you are looking for a track car.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '92 Formula, '92 TA, '91 ZR-1
Engine: 350, 305, LT-5

Save yourself a lot of trouble and find something else. Unless you are looking for a specific hard to find combination of color, engine, trans, etc., keep looking and buy the nicest car you can afford. Or, if your budget does not allow for a really nice example now, keep searching, saving and buy a little later. Remember, you can't polish poop.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

For that price you could get a decent real IROC Z. pass
Old 05-02-2014, 09:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 724 Likes on 493 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE ! You can certainly find you a nicer one for a reasonable price. Thats the good thing about 3rd gens.