History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Reunited!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323
Reunited!

First off... Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum but not new to cars. Here is my story...

back in 1993 I was 22 years old working at a Pontiac dealer as a mechanic. A 48 year old lady traded in a 1991 white Trans Am for a Grand Prix. I loved the way the car looked. As soon as she drove onto the road I was checking out the TA. It had the black honeycomb rims and grey interior with 19k on the odometer. I loved the GTAs but hated the gold trim and interior (sorry GTA guys). I looked the car over and it was perfect. I was ready to walk away but said out to loud, as I looked at the vin, it only has a 30 50!!! The 8th digit was an 8! I had to buy the car so I did. I babied that thing put a competition stereo set up in it (6500 worth) and enjoyed the hell out of it. In 2002 I decided I wanted a 69 Z28 so I parted with my 32000 mileTA and went onto a 69 Camaro project that I finished and still had. Below is a picture in 2002 of my TA.

I lived on the South side of Chicago and so did the new owner. I would see the car from time to time until he sold it around 2009. I since move 25 miles South out of the city had no Idea whether my car was still around or a tin can. On Jan 27 I'm browsing on Craigs and I come across a white TA. I was thinking looks like one I had. I look at the pictures and see some paint peeling, a few rest bubbles and scuffs along interior a little dirty. As I looked at the interior pics I see the keys in the ignition and see the Clifford alarm fob and said haha I had that alarm. I see the BIG red alarm light next to the hatch release button and thing oh mine was there too and I hated that. Then I look at the door panel and see the custom made speaker pods that I made in 1994. I was floored! I found my old TA and wasn't really looking. I emailed the guy because there was no phone # in the ad hoping he would call me back I mean the ad was on for a whole 8 hours... maybe he sold it. Twenty minutes later I get a call from the current owner and ask to come look at it. He says the next day is good. I said I have to work all day and am about a 1/2 hour away from him can I be at his house at 8:30 pm? He says ok! I was like a little kid. My wife was telling me to calm down but I just had to see this car again in person. Turns out he was only a 17 minute drive away from me. I looked at it went for a drive and what a rush I got. I talk to him he tells me a little past history on the car (he is the 3rd or 4th owner after me). His asking price was more then fair and just like that I bought it. Again! I left my deposit and come back on Jan 29 to get my TA back. I told him right before we were exchanging money for title I previously owned the car and showed him my old pictures. He was just as puzzled as I was about how this came back to me. I dove it home looked it over and will be giving is a pretty decent overhaul to put it back to the way it was when I had it. The car currently has 68K on it and runs strong. I look forward on coming to this site to ask questions and share my progress. I remember back in 1994 thinking to myself, someday people will be restoring these cars. I never would have guessed I would be restoring my actual car. Thanks for reading my story. Below is the pic of how the car sits now.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:41 PM
JT
Community Administrator

Received 255 Likes on 184 Posts
Re: Reunited!

Welcome to ThirdGen!

Your previous thread was moved to the Members Firebirds section as it was a more appropriate place to share pictures and background of ThirdGens by their owners.

Here's the link to your thread:
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...-reunited.html

The History/Originality section is more about documentation of the ThirdGen.

Thanks!