History / Originality Got a question about 1982-1992 Camaro or Firebird history? Have a question about original parts, options, RPO codes, when something was available, or how to document your car? Those questions, answers, and much more!

Regular Car Reviews - IROC

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:21 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: '89 'ROC
Engine: 5.7L
Regular Car Reviews - IROC

Well he finally got to the ‘roc.

Cheesburgers, Van Halen and pissing off snooty neighbors? Hell yeah!

*btw for anyone put out his reviews are all comedic potshots on the ‘vibe’ of older model cars..
Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Regular Car Reviews - IROC

Yea I watched it so he got the click. Not amused. Comedy is good when there is a tinge of truth but this video is lacking in several historical areas.

The fact is this: A 1987 IROC with a 350 is faster in the quarter mile than any of the 1969 Z/28's, Will Match or beat a 1970 Z-28 with a 4.10 and an automatic, and only the fastest previously produced Mark 4 big block cars made previously would out accelerate it in the quarter mile and we are only talking about a handful of iron block 427's here.

Top speed: The IROC Z is the king.

Handling: The IROC Z would flat Kill any of the previous Camaros on a track.

As for the interior: The interior on all previous Camaros were as bad or worse. I own them so I know.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:17 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by CPC Norwood
Yea I watched it so he got the click. Not amused. Comedy is good when there is a tinge of truth but this video is lacking in several historical areas.

The fact is this: A 1987 IROC with a 350 is faster in the quarter mile than any of the 1969 Z/28's, Will Match or beat a 1970 Z-28 with a 4.10 and an automatic, and only the fastest previously produced Mark 4 big block cars made previously would out accelerate it in the quarter mile and we are only talking about a handful of iron block 427's here.

Top speed: The IROC Z is the king.

Handling: The IROC Z would flat Kill any of the previous Camaros on a track.

As for the interior: The interior on all previous Camaros were as bad or worse. I own them so I know.
I only lasted 3 minutes.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 350
Transmission: auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23

I confess, I watched the whole thing... the wife did find the first couple minutes amusing, lol! Did catch a couple good analogies I will modify slightly and use in the future. Am I the only one that thought the car is actually really nice, till you see the 80's screaming stainless stick on dash trim?! He could've at least used the stick on wood grain.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

The guys jokes were a million times more dated than he made the car out to be..

My wife walked by and heard the guy and said, “this guys sounds like an a$$hole, why are you listening to this!?”

He gets a lot of things wrong in fact, comedy, and perception..

Just sounded like someone out of touch trying to be funny on what seemed like an easy target.. a clear miss.. Lots of IROC defenders in the comments.. even from Europeans..
Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

I sat through the entire thing and I find absolutely nothing historical or original about it. Since the only place this thread can go, is down, I'm gonna close it now. Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z, 82 Pace Car

Ok. Drew reached out and 'tried' convincing me of the historical value of this. So, I'll reopen it for comments, but please be civil. If it gets out of hand, I will have to re close it. If JT or John see no historical value in this post, they may also close it, so don't blame only me!!!
Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 AM

I knew some members would be put out by the usual slams while some would mostly laugh as I did. Regardless any time someone on the interweb bothers to do 10+ minutes of decent quality filming on our cars it should make TGO, is my thinking at the end of the day.

*and to be fair he gives the ‘roc the historical nod on killer handling for the time...and makes one joke suggesting the average owner’s wife is hot. : P
Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro Z28
Engine: L31 5.7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73

I got a kick out of this. It was also funny to have three separate people send me the link on the same day - I guess I'm "the Camaro guy" in my group of friends. Not much factual information here, but then that's not really the point of the video.

Even if it's just a dumb review done in an (intentionally?) irritating style, it's cool to see our cars still coming up in new media.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Part of the shtick of the Regular Car Reviews series is that the cars aren't babied, low mileage cars in mint condition. They're more of a practical un-biased view from the outside. Many of them come across as very harsh, but this one is particularly rough. There's another video on the same car that doesn't follow the usual format of observing the car from a distance through a certain point of view... It might better illustrate why some of the opinions voiced in the video are so harsh. I also find that the comments are really interesting, since it seems the vast majority is defending the car, rather than a lot of other videos that say nice things about the cars then the comments are full of people talking trash. It's kind of a switch to see so many people admiring the thirdgen in the video.

I get the impression that much of the criticism in the clip comes from this particular car, rather than thirdgens in general. Aside from the shiny paint, the car in the video isn't in the best condition. The rigged push button starter, and mechanical issues would make it difficult for any outsider to appreciate the car. Given a nicer example, the video would probably have a different tone, but then that would be a Regular Car Review, it'd be an Exceptional Car Review. Most of what he says is entirely fair if it's applied to the typical RS with peeling paint and a completely shelled interior. It just hits harder because it's a 350 Iroc, with gauges mounted under the dash in chrome add on brackets, and a stupid Grant steering wheel, and tacky stainless peel and stick trim... The car in the video is kinda corny. It's the kinda car that WE would call out for being tacky.

The way I see it, the negative views as illustrated by the video, are out there, they do exist, and we might as well acknowledge them. Pretending that they aren't out there, doesn't make them suddenly go away. Some of the misconceptions are perpetuated by thirdgen enthusiasts. The way we combat it, is to avoid tacky mods and hacky repairs. We elevate the community by being better representatives of the community.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am
Engine: L03
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Not impressed. I hope you all have him the thumbs down. What a clown.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

Another in the series worth watching. It is important to watch the entire video, because generally he lightens up in the middle somewhere before ending on the humorous criticism.

and of course the KITT review... There's another video on this one somewhere, but yeah, F KITT.

Alright fine, there's the second KITT clip.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 190 Likes on 128 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Z Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI (LB9)
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GU2

Nailed it Drew.. I gotta check out the T/A and Kitt ones now..

i wasn’t sure if I was supposed to be offended or not watching the IROC one because it was so over the top..

and even though the car is junky, it is still cool looking.. I almost think that fact bothered him.. ha ha
Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Some parts were kinda funny, but it gets old about half way though because of its relentless one liner bashing.
But it is youtube & anyone can make a video.
He's obviously not a fan of the car, or wished he had one in high school & is still upset about it.

Gramps......
Old 09-19-2018, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member

This Youtube Series might be more enjoyable for the local history fans... Seems the narrator has done a bit more homework and is less interested in trash talking.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: L98 5.7L
Transmission: MD8 700R4
Axle/Gears: G80 GW6 3.27:1

Originally Posted by Drew
The way I see it, the negative views as illustrated by the video, are out there, they do exist, and we might as well acknowledge them. Pretending that they aren't out there, doesn't make them suddenly go away. Some of the misconceptions are perpetuated by thirdgen enthusiasts. The way we combat it, is to avoid tacky mods and hacky repairs. We elevate the community by being better representatives of the community.

Astute observations. That will benefit all 3rd gen owners.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

People getting butt-hurt about these videos are exactly why this guy makes them. If I had the time to make videos like this, upsetting the non-self aware and unreasonable fan boys would be my #1 goal. These are supposed to be satire, people need to lighten up a little bit and not get offended so easily. I don't think there is any historical significance to any of this and it probably shouldn't be here. This is just food for trolls and something for people to get their panties all wadded up about.

I don't fully agree with Drew's point. As long as these cars are cheap, the hack mods and idiot owners will continue, nothing we do here will stop that. Look at some of the ignorant, incoherent and grammatical disasters we have on this forum... As we have seen however, the market for these cars is changing, and they are slowly getting priced out of reach for the low information hobbyist. As more high end versions are built by places like Hawks, and as the price for nice cars continues to grow, most of the stigma will dry up and fall away because it will no longer be true.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 PM

Ok mods feel free to delete if too off-topic but I always loved this model and I bet so do a ton of members...in my mind this is as close to a “winter 3G” as you can get for those of us unlucky enough to live where it snows. Def among my top5 “want to owns”
Anyway..
Old 01-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1982 Recaro TA, 1989 TTA#948

Originally Posted by chazman
I only lasted 3 minutes.
You did better then me.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by SirReveller
Ok mods feel free to delete if too off-topic but I always loved this model and I bet so do a ton of members...in my mind this is as close to a “winter 3G” as you can get for those of us unlucky enough to live where it snows. Def among my top5 “want to owns”
Anyway..
https://youtu.be/TEn7oZg-_Jc
I like K5 Blazers too. I just can't stand the guy in the video. I went a bit longer than 3 minutes on that one, before I turned it off.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by SirReveller
He's far, FAR, too kind to that Jurassuck crap-wagon. Went thru a K5 phase. Thought they were cool for a few years in the 90s. Came to the undeniable conclusion they were all clunky rust buckets. The one in the video looks good from afar, but the details of the video really explain how ridiculously garbage most K5s are. Murders transmissions, wheel fell off, driver has a GoPro on his head like a Harbor Freight idiot lamp, and the passenger is rocking Joker green hair dye. What kind of Gomer actually continues to drive a car with the steering that sloppy? Fix that stuff, moron.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:51 AM

Hahaha Drew
”Gomer”