Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Custom interior questions... not just stock stuff but full custom from ground up

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11
Custom interior questions... not just stock stuff but full custom from ground up

Ok well I have a pretty custom 91 Z28. The interior now has Tenzo R seats, a 6 point roll bar, custom autometer gauges and a few toggle switches for the N20 and stuff.

To make it look different I went ahead and covered it all in black cloth. This looked great the first time I did it, but after about 1 season and 3000 miles on the road, it is starting to look strange.

I want to do it again, but use something more like a padded plastic look. Kinda like newer cars have stock.

Anyways, weather you get what I am trying to describe or not, does anyone have any websites or links to stores that would stock what i may be looking for?

I want to just cover the entire interior with it. Also want to cover the roll bars in the same material, but in red.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Re: Custom interior questions... not just stock stuff but full custom from ground up

Most new cars come with molded plastic parts... that's how they get that look. But, most of those molded plastic parts use a texture that's more or less designed to simulate textured leather or vinyl. You can buy vinyl that has very similar textures.

However... working with vinyl takes a lot of experience before you can achieve professional results. Well done vinyl work can look great, but poorly done vinyl work will look sloppy and very very cheap. Different vinyls will behave differently, so it will take some experimentation to find a vinyl that has the look that you're after, while also having the workability that you'll need.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11
Re: Custom interior questions... not just stock stuff but full custom from ground up

Thanks. i am aware about the crappiness that can come from it all.

I don't mind experimenting. And I work for a company that makes some of those interior molded pieces so I am aware of how it is done.

I just need an online store or something like that to order from. I have been on google for a bit and can't seem to find anything. Any help there?

I know making a custom interior is going to be hard, but if you look though the 400+ photos on my CD site you will know that I have no problem learning how to do hard things on my car.

Found what I was looking for!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man.

Here it is.

http://www.roddoors.com/index.html

I am going to order some ABS to make the panels out of for my doors. Then get some of that rod pad to make them a little mushy. Then buy a LOT of fabric or vinyl to cover the whole interior as well as a couple cans of the spray that they recomend. Oh and a couple mini door handles so I can finally have something that looks good and can fint with my roll bars in the way.

Winter project here I come!!!

Last edited by dennisbernal91z; 10-03-2007 at 03:31 PM.