Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Door Tops (and panels) supposed to be loose?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn
Door Tops (and panels) supposed to be loose?

I'm putting the interior into my 87 Trans AM project car that I bought (without any door panels).

I reattached the door panel to the the panel top (black plastic piece that sits on top of the door panel). I pushed the grey metal clips on the back of the panel and pushed them down with a set of needle nose pliers.

The top and bottom of the door panel seems to be lose though. That is to say it looks like the grey metal clips don't seem to be tight. Is it supposed to be this way or is the door panel and top supposed to be a tight fit?

How can I fix this?

Thanks

Old 05-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28
Engine: TPI 310ci (LB9)
Transmission: Custom Rebuilt 700R4 - 2600 Stall
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.73 Eaton Limited-Slip
Re: Door Tops (and panels) supposed to be loose?

Our panels unfortunately become very filmsy over time (I'm not sure if they were ever solid even from the factory).

For the plastic top peice and the panel: I added attachment points on the outermost part to attach it even more because it kind of wobbled and I didn't like the fact that over bumps I could hear the door panel jumping up with the car lol. I recall I used nuts and bolts to attach it.. Probably a bit overkill but it did the job and made it much more solid. You have to be careful not to use ones that are too big or ones that will obstruct the window from moving in there otherwise you might scratch your window! Mine comes very close but far enough to be safe and not scratch. Try to use bolts that stick out the least.
I also glued it with crazy glue so it wouldn't come off or wiggle.. It just makes for a more solid contact from the top panel to the "flimsy" door panel.

As for the plastic clips that go around the bottom and side edges of the panel, I have never seen those metal clips before?! That's a good idea because mine is torn up in the paper backing that the clips attach to. Nevertheless, my door is solid where those plastic clips connect to the metal door frame. Not sure if that's the part that was loose?

EDIT: While you're in the door you could do alot to help in there.. Adjust windows, replace fuzzies, tighten up everything, grease everything with white lithium grease, zip tie things that rattle, add insulation to metal that rattles alongside other metal peices such as rod linkages, etc. This all made my door as quiet as a new car. Also replacing door bushings that are worn out helps tremendously! JAMES C did a great writeup of gettin the doors silent you should definitely read that it's what gave me alot of ideas. Good luck!

Last edited by hellz_wings; 05-31-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
Engine: 305 TPI / ZZ4 cam
Transmission: Stage 2 700R4, LS1 driveshaft
Axle/Gears: Strange 3.42 w/ Auburn

My door panel is pretty solid. It's just where the door panel attaches to the (Black) top panel that is flimsy. I'm afraid that the metal cips that attach the two pieces are going to fall out with the door opening and closing all the time and then the top black panel will pop off from the door panel.

Might try crazy glue or gorrilla glue to stick everything together.

Thanks

FYI...the door panel came with the metal clips (I presume they are factory). I just added some new white plastic clips.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi 9 bolt PBR

The gta deluxe door panels came with those metal clips.