Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Digital to Analog Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM GTA
Engine: Tune-port Injected 6.3L
Transmission: Borg-Warner T56 six-speed
Axle/Gears: Borg/Warner 9-bolt with 3.70:1
Digital to Analog Conversion

I have done some searching and have yet to turn up any type of thread that will be of any help to me. It would appear that not many folks do a digital to analog conversion. I have a digital dash in my GTA and I hate it. While it was cool in the beginning, the gauges just aren't as accurate as analog gauges plus my information center and odometer are crap and don't work. So, I would like to switch over to something a little more reliable and that looks good.

Has anyone ever done a digital to analog swap in a GTA or seen it done? I know the dash bezels are different between the digital dash models and the standard gauge models so I'm guessing that I'll have to do a custom gauge cluster to make it work. If anyone can be of assistance or point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Car: 1989 Trans am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: t56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Re: Digital to Analog Conversion

I've done a analog to digital and I can tell you going digital to analog will be easier (that's not to say it's going to be easy!) you will have to remove the whole entire interior dash harness, rear trunk harness (including tailights) and some parts of the engine bay harness (going to the hvac, headlights, etc) I have a mint analog dash with trim for sale if you're interested
Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: 355 tpi
Transmission: 5 speed

I'm planning on switching my digital gauges out also but I like the the way the gauge lay out is and I don't care for the factory Analog, I'm also not going to switch out all that wiring. I don't believe I will have to. Where the information center is I'm going to take it out and fab up a face plate to add 2inch gauges for fuel, volt meter, and water temp.
Where the tachometer and speedometer and such is I'm fabbing up for aftermarket
tach and speedo from autometer, the computer does not need the factory gauges hooked up or even be there for it to run the engine correctly.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Trans AM GTA
Engine: Tune-port Injected 6.3L
Transmission: Borg-Warner T56 six-speed
Axle/Gears: Borg/Warner 9-bolt with 3.70:1

I'm not looking for the factory five gauge set up, but thanks anyway Firechicken.

I like how the gauge cluster is as well, but just not the gauges because they are difficult to see when you're driving toward the sun (even with new bulbs). I was thinking custom fabrication to accept aftermarket gauges. Just not sure how difficult that is going to be with a digital dash already in place.

Has anyone ever done this? Pictures? Sometimes I wish that the dashes in the 'Birds were as easy to customize with aftermarket stuff like the Camaros.