Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Help! Seatbelt keeps locking

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Gray Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Help! Seatbelt keeps locking

Hey all,
I know there are a lot of seatbelt questions on the boards, and I did a search, but none matched my problem. I am going on a road trip with my dad in 4 hours and need to get this fixed.
The problem is that the passenger seatbelt keeps locking up. I'm not saying that it has the retracting problem, my seatbelt literally will not pull out at all. I've loosened the headliner and checked the interia lock, and found that the weight was tipped, as if the car had been in an accident. This car has never been in an accident. I used a screwdriver to push the weight back to center, and I was able to get the seatbelt to pull out again. I thought I had fixed it, until I was driving today and hit a small bump. I checked the seatbelt, and it had locked up again!! The interia lock weight had tipped again. It is not supposed to tip this easily, and every time I push the weight back to center, it works again, until I start driving! Any ideas?? Maybe the interia weight popped out of its slot and is moving too easily? Any ideas welcome, thanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Gray Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Re: Help! Seatbelt keeps locking

Thought I should close the loop on this one. I removed the seatbelt and inspected it, and found that the inertia weight had literally come loose from the seatbelt mechanism! Picked up a NOS seatbelt and put it in, good as new