Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

High Beam Swith

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High Beam Swith

So my multifunction switch that works the high beams doesnt seem to want to work properly, can push it forward but doesnt trigger other than once in a great blue moon, still kinda works to operate the signals if I remember right. I can find the switch on RockAuto for $45.79, but the only time I've had to replace one of those was on my old Civic that I had. Im wondering how its done on my '91 Camaro RS (T-top). I'm sure there's been discussion on this but am wondering if there is a step-by-step video because that would be best for me to see how its done, other wise can someone comment a step-by-step instruction on how to do this below? If I remember right, I have to manually turn off my signal from one of the directions, doesnt automatically turn off after making a turn so Im not sure if I need the other thing that I included photos of, RockAuto shows 2 different ones and Im not sure which one to get, the white one is the pt #TW20 and the black one is the pt #TW20T. Thanks in advance and would be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails High Beam Swith-sm186.jpg   High Beam Swith-tw20.jpg   High Beam Swith-tw20t.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 10:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: High Beam Swith

Most likely you just need to adjust the switch for the high/low beams that is farther down the steering column. The lever you pull on pushes against a rod that goes down the column and pushes in on the switch to make it work. You can reach under the column toward the left side and feel it or just stick your head down there and take a look. sometimes adjusting the tilt will make it work better, but the real issue is the two tiny screws/bolts that hold the switch in place have probably loosened and allowed the switch to slide farther down the column. You will just need to loosen them and slide the switch toward you until the slack is taken up and then tighten. Might be easier to drop the column down so you can see it better while sitting in the driver seat and reaching down to adjust it. Free fix what a deal!
Have fun
Old 04-22-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '91 RS, '64 C10 Stepside
Engine: 305 TBI, '00 5.3
Transmission: Manual, Automatic
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen with 3.42, 4.10

Is the rod and switch you're talking about external of the actual steering column?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Yes as described above, you can reach down the column on the left side toward the bottom and feel it or look under there and see it. It's a little hard to work on down there, but if you take off the cover underneath the column and remove the two bolts holding the U shaped bracket that holds up the column, you can sit in the drivers seat, lower the column so the wheel sits in your lap and look down over the top of the column and see it better. You can also reach around the column seeing what you are doing and adjust the switch. the little bolts are 7-9 mm or so in size. barely loosen them enough to move the switch, don't take them all the way out. You can make sure the switch works by just pushing the rod into it from underneath before you loosen up anything. Really easy, just a little hard to get to at first. Have fun!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28
Engine: Carb 350
Transmission: 700r4

In the 86 I just bought that rod is rigged up to stick out of the column instead of part of the switch, if you can't seem to get it to work that could be an option
Old 04-23-2016, 08:01 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

if your tilt steering column is loose like most of them, the slop in the column is the cause of the mis-alignment with the switch. tightening the column in this case usually brings the rod/switch back into functioning adjustment.