Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

My finished fiberglass dash..

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Auto
My finished fiberglass dash..

Gotta give props to HeathAU25 for his idea and thread for giving me the blue print. https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/inte...d-picture.html

I had tried repairing the cracks then covering it in upholstery vinyl which looked good at first but did not hold up to the heat. The adhesive gave way and the material shrank a lot. Plus I hated how my speaker vents turned out. Refusing to pay $450 for a new one I tried the fiberglass route.

Yes, it took A LOT of time but I love ding this kind of stuff. I LOVE IT.
Attached Thumbnails My finished fiberglass dash..-fgdash1.jpg   My finished fiberglass dash..-fgdash2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 10:57 PM

Re: My finished fiberglass dash..

I put at least four coats of resin on it before sanding and using body filler.
Attached Thumbnails My finished fiberglass dash..-fgdash3.jpg   My finished fiberglass dash..-fgdash4.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 11:09 PM

Re: My finished fiberglass dash..

I found the speaker grills in a box in my garage. Since I don't have a Harbor Freight Tolls nearby I bought another brand of spray on bed liner. I tried it on a sample piece of fiberglass I made while practicing with it and hated it. Way too glossy and I did not like the texture. I think it was a Duplicolor brand. Would have been fine for a truck bed but not a dash. I held out and got the same stuff HeathAU25 used from Harbor Freight. Turned out great!
Attached Thumbnails My finished fiberglass dash..-fgdash5.jpg   My finished fiberglass dash..-fgdash6.jpg   My finished fiberglass dash..-finishedash.jpg