Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Gauge cluster issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Gauge cluster issues

right, so there are a few problems i have with my gauge cluster in my 91 camaro. first off, my tach loves to stay pinned all the way down passed 7,000 RPM. i have never seen it work, and i know its a common issue. odd part is, when the radio switch is flipped on (this was due to a previous owner, i left it because i assume it was draining the battery, and i kinda like it) after some time of being on, the gauge will launch back to 1000 RPM then slowly creep up regardless of what i do, unless the switch is flipped off, then it falls into what i would imagine would e the normal position when the car is shut off.

next issue, my speedo works...... soooome times. it randomly has its spats where it'll just fall to zero, then launch back up to the speed i'm traveling. such as this morning. upon my giving the glass panel a little tap to see if it would come back on, my oil pressure gauge and gas gauge died on me. upon tapping it a few more times, they all came on and i had no more issues.

and, just a question to see if its just me. when your turn signals are on, does your battery gauge move slightly when your blinker clicks on and of, or is that just another issue of mine?

im just trying to get an idea of what ill be looking at once i rip this all apart and what some key things are to look for that would cause this problem. thanks everyone.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:39 AM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Gauge cluster issues

Ok first you want to want to take out your whole cluster! Then you look on the back of the cluster! If it has a plastic circuit board attached to the back I want you to look for the two openings! One one the left side and right side! Pull the two sides of the plastic circuit board as if it were brand new from factory! Those pieces should be pushed in from when it was installed after time it’s like a piece of paper it gets used to that spot! Now once you have that done look inside the dash there should be two rectangle spots that would slide in the cluster! They have copper prongs that would connect onto the plastic cuircut where the copper is on the plastic! Now take a pointed screw look at the top row of copper prongs look for the one that is the highest! Match every prong by inserting screw-on the bottom of copper prong and screw the screw in until they are all high matching the highest one! Now the bottom row you will adjust from the top of the copper prong to make it push out towards the bottom! Now do that for the two prongs on left and right! Now your done replace the cluster!

Originally Posted by kttheman001
right, so there are a few problems i have with my gauge cluster in my 91 camaro. first off, my tach loves to stay pinned all the way down passed 7,000 RPM. i have never seen it work, and i know its a common issue. odd part is, when the radio switch is flipped on (this was due to a previous owner, i left it because i assume it was draining the battery, and i kinda like it) after some time of being on, the gauge will launch back to 1000 RPM then slowly creep up regardless of what i do, unless the switch is flipped off, then it falls into what i would imagine would e the normal position when the car is shut

next issue, my speedo works...... soooome times. it randomly has its spats where it'll just fall to zero, then launch back up to the speed i'm traveling. such as this morning. upon my giving the glass panel a little tap to see if it would come back on, my oil pressure gauge and gas gauge died on me. upon tapping it a few more times, they all came on and i had no more issues.

and, just a question to see if its just me. when your turn signals are on, does your battery gauge move slightly when your blinker clicks on and of, or is that just another issue of mine?

im just trying to get an idea of what ill be looking at once i rip this all apart and what some key things are to look for that would cause this problem. thanks everyone.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:42 AM

Car: 91 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Gauge cluster issues

Originally Posted by Richard1973
Ok first you want to want to take out your whole cluster! Then you look on the back of the cluster! If it has a plastic circuit board attached to the back I want you to look for the two openings! One one the left side and right side! Pull the two sides of the plastic circuit board as if it were brand new from factory! Those pieces should be pushed in from when it was installed after time it’s like a piece of paper it gets used to that spot! Now once you have that done look inside the dash there should be two rectangle spots that would slide in the cluster! They have copper prongs that would connect onto the plastic cuircut where the copper is on the plastic! Now take a pointed screw look at the top row of copper prongs look for the one that is the highest! Match every prong by inserting screw-on the bottom of copper prong and screw the screw in until they are all high matching the highest one! Now the bottom row you will adjust from the top of the copper prong to make it push out towards the bottom! Now do that for the two prongs on left and right! Now your done replace the cluster!
When you put your cluster back in and start your car and a few gauges don’t work don’t panic just give it a hard Jult with your fist above the cluster on the dash and she will fix! This is also a good fix for gauge cluster lights needles and tachs! It only took me 7 times taking out my cluster and putting it back in trying to figure it out!