Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

GTA Ultima Seat repair and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Trans Am
Engine: TPI 5.0L
Transmission: 700R4
GTA Ultima Seat repair and suggestions

Hello,

So Im working on my GTA and in the process of getting the seats recovered. I have done some research and I have not found what im looking for. The seats are the GTA Ultima seats and the accordion pieces on the sides are torn. I would like to have them look as close to original as possible and would like to have them put back on. Im going to assume they dont make them them aftermarket and that if I would like to have them put back on that id to possibly attempt to find some in a junk yard?

So my question is, what are my options for getting the original look? I know 4th gen seats are an option but that isn't something that i would like to do at the moment.

Also, they are lumbar powered are they dont seem to be working, I know that the motors are working because I can hear them and the power dont cut out like others have said. Now my guess is they have a leak in the system somewhere. Do you have any suggestions of where I should check for these leaks or how to fix them? And also one or two of the buttons on the switches dont work because it dont do anything when you push it. Do you have any suggestions for this issue?

The seats also no longer lock into place when you put them back into position. What would be a solution for this issue?

Is there anything that i should do while the seats are uncovered? or any upgrades, mods or tricks before getting recovered and put back in.

There is a lot to this thread so any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks for you time
Old 09-07-2016, 09:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: GTA Ultima Seat repair and suggestions

Good luck finding any parts for the Ultima seats aside from used. You can expand your search in the junkyard to include other Pontiacs of the same era. The Grand Am turbos and Sunbirds occasionally had Ultima seats. If you come across a junk set, I could use a headrest adjuster **** and the cover over the seatback trim screw in gray.

The lumbar uses a series of bladders, valves, and hoses. All the important parts are mounted under a single seat, can't recall at the moment which one. The other seat just runs off an extension hose/harness that runs across the floor under the console. The ends of the hose are sealed with an O-ring. Obviously if the hoses are damaged, or the seals are damaged, or the bladders in the seats are damaged, you'll get a leak. I'd expect the inflatable lumbar parts would interchange with a 4th gen, but even those cars aren't spring chickens anymore.

Regarding the adjustment problem, neither the tracks nor the recline mechanism are unique to the Ultima seats, beyond the recline handle/*****. I would expect the handle and **** could be carefully transferred to a working recline mechanism, and the tracks just bolt on.

#1 issue I see with the Ultima seats, aside from complexity, is all the plastic. It ages and gets brittle. I've got one torn down and stored. It'll take a fair bit of time just fixing the cracked plastic that wasn't visible when the seat was assembled. It's been apart for years, and I'm just not looking forward to reassembling it.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no NOS or repro parts available for them, aside from generic covers.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

3rd & 4th gen bladders/parts wont interchange.Seats look the same externally (minus headrest), but the 4th gens are cheap versions.The seat frames/foam & electricals differ as well, but you can use the accordion piece though.

The pump cuts off when the bladder is full, so the leak might be the reason it keeps running.The switch can be simply disconnected or internal springs collapsed.I have fix mine twice by taking it apart & examining the small copper pieces for damage & tweaking them back in shape, but this kind of "fix" is 50/50.If the seats are apart the foam for rips.Mostly on the lumbar sections.I used RTV to repair the splits.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans AM GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.27

I had the same problem. I could hear the pump under the drivers seat but nothing happened. Opened up the pump and found that the motor shaft was turning but it was slipping from the pump shaft.

I replaced the rubber coupling with a piece of rubber hose and it worked like a charm.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 trans am / 67 gto
Engine: 350TPI
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 bolt

i have a lumbar set removed from a 87 gta. all bladder bags hold air. have the complete wiring harness, and pumps. i was saving these, but no longer have a need for them, as i sold my 88 gta.and my 89 trans am does not have ultima seats.
pm me if you are interested in these , thanks, ken.