Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

I need help with my 3 speed automatic shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need help with my 3 speed automatic shifter!

I have a 1983 camaro z28 and it has the stock round ball shifter with the round button on top and after I bought the car, i realised that the button was stuck down (like it was pressed down all the time) so i took the button out and removed the plastic around the shifter stick to see what was wrong inside and realised that theres something missing but can’t really say what because i don’t know what i’m looking at... i know that there’s atleast supposed to be a spring thing that pushes the plastic rod that pushes button up. And i also realised that the thing that kind of locks the shifter in place (prevents you from putting it from the Drive position to let’s say reverse without pushing the button) was missing so now i’m driving down the road and could push it by accident into reverse or park... which I don’t even want to think what that would do to my transmission Could anyone tell me what seems to be missing, what is the name of that stock round ball shifter and where I could get parts for it or buy a used one(i found a used one on ebay but i’m pretty sure it’s for the square shifter and not my round one) or if I need to buy an aftermarket one(which would be my last option because they’re either very pricey or not good looking)

Thanks for everyones help in advance!

Last edited by Jase1616; 05-20-2018 at 07:09 PM.