Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Help Please?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Please?!?!?!

So I feel l like the biggest idiot. I picked up my 1990 camaro rs that i had brought yesterday here in australia and i left the keys in the ignition and closed the door to find out that the car automatically locks it self which I had no idea it was going to do that so now my keys are locked in my car I have had for less then a day.
My car is also electronic locked.
Whats the best way to get the keys out of the car? Is using a slim jim the best way?
also my car is not registered yet and i really don't want to damage the weather stripping since I'm here in australia and would have to order new stripping from the states and I would like my car registered in the next 2 weeks as that's the only time i can do it.

I just need some advice on how to exactly open the car, not many people have been very clear with it and all the youtube videos i have looked at have not worked for me.

I'd really appreciate some help.

From this idiot down under cheers
Old 12-02-2018, 12:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Help Please?!?!?!

Now generally, I try not to share how to defeat security systems for obvious reasons... But your story touched me.

Two choices... You can fashion and over-under, basically a stiff wire in a W kind of shape, or maybe more of an N... And feed it into the door, go under the window and back up on the other side over the door panel, and try to finagle the end of the W/N until it's against a unlock button and hope it's stiff enough to push the button unlocked. Alternatively, with a thirdgen you can get inside from around the edge of the side window between the window and the rubber, so you could use an almost straight tool to reach inside and try to flip the lock slider.

Option two, you go in the door and try to manually manipulate the lockwork, and or rods...

The Red arrow is pointing at the arm that would normally be connected to the door lock cylinder. It's currently in the down/unlocked position. If you can slide something down in the door and try to push this tab down, it should unlock.

Alternatively, the Green arrow is pointing at the arm that connects to the lock slider. It's unlocked in the forward position. It's hard to get at from the top, because GM put that handy metal overhang on the latch to prevent people from doing what you're trying to do.

Option three, go for the Z bend for the power lock actuator. May be easier than the previous options because there's no "safety" to work around. The catch is it's on the inside of the window position, so it might be a bit harder to reach.

If all else fails, brick through the window, screw a slide hammer into the door lock, etc. Good luck.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56

Ask orginal owner if they have other keys or if there might be a hide-a-key somewhere on the car. If you have a bill of sale will locksmith/cops open the door for you where you live?

The 90 should not have factory auto locks so aftermarket alarm/keyless entry system. Do you have remotes? May again person you bought it from does.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew
Now generally, I try not to share how to defeat security systems for obvious reasons... But your story touched me.

Two choices... You can fashion and over-under, basically a stiff wire in a W kind of shape, or maybe more of an N... And feed it into the door, go under the window and back up on the other side over the door panel, and try to finagle the end of the W/N until it's against a unlock button and hope it's stiff enough to push the button unlocked. Alternatively, with a thirdgen you can get inside from around the edge of the side window between the window and the rubber, so you could use an almost straight tool to reach inside and try to flip the lock slider.

Option two, you go in the door and try to manually manipulate the lockwork, and or rods...

The Red arrow is pointing at the arm that would normally be connected to the door lock cylinder. It's currently in the down/unlocked position. If you can slide something down in the door and try to push this tab down, it should unlock.

Alternatively, the Green arrow is pointing at the arm that connects to the lock slider. It's unlocked in the forward position. It's hard to get at from the top, because GM put that handy metal overhang on the latch to prevent people from doing what you're trying to do.

Option three, go for the Z bend for the power lock actuator. May be easier than the previous options because there's no "safety" to work around. The catch is it's on the inside of the window position, so it might be a bit harder to reach.

If all else fails, brick through the window, screw a slide hammer into the door lock, etc. Good luck.

Thanks a bunch I got my car opened up! really appreciate the help!
Old 12-02-2018, 09:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Well done!