Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Leather interior conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather interior conversion

I recently acquired an interest in third generation Trans Ams. I would like to find one with black leather and a manual transmission. Apparently that looks to be a tough order to fill. I hope that some of you can answer a couple of questions I have regarding interiors.

1. In what year did the third generation Trans Am have a leather interior option.
2. On a car equipped with leather interior, in addition to leather seating surfaces, what other interior differences are there between the cloth and leather interiors. I would Imagine the door panels could be different.
3 would the conversion from a black cloth to black leather interior be easy to do?

thanks
Old 06-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro IROC Lear Sieger
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic overdrive
Re: Leather interior conversion

Don't quote me on this but to my knowledge no third gen came with true leather seats. Admittedly I am by no means an expert, but I've had my 3rd gen for a good 14 years now and I've seen and talked to a lot of third gen guys and I've never seen or heard of one.

There were of course those with a vinyl/pleather interior. Mine for example has a vinyl interior. One thing you may consider is simply replacing the cloth seat cover with a vinyl seat cover. I know Hawks motorsports and I believe Ricks Camaro (Ecklers) used to and probably still do offer some decent seat covers for 3rd gen seats that come in both vinyl and cloth. Pretty sure they had Black and just about every other color except for the factory blue that I need lol.

As for differences in the interior, it's really just the seats and the door trim panel. I THINK the floor mats might have been different, but mine were destroyed years ago and I can't remember if they were carpeted or not. Everything else is the same.

NOTE: For those of you out there who know anything and everything there is to know about these cars, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the true leather interior. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:15 AM

Hmm....I guess I should fact check before I reply. I did a little bit of digging and sure enough you're absolutely right. There were options for leather seats in the Trans Am. It looks like your best bet for finding them would be 81-83 and 1990.

I'll leave it to someone else to give better advice. It's becoming rather evident to me that I didn't know as much about this as I thought I did.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

Leather was pretty common on the GTAs. Aside from the front and rear seats, the door panels generally had leather inserts instead of cloth. Seems cool until you own a thirdgen with leather. It's cold in the winter, hot in the summer, slippery under hard turns, BTDT wouldn't pass up a nice cloth interior to own another with leather. But that's just my
Old 06-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Interesting. Any idea how common leather was for the Camaros? I don't think I've ever seen one with leather interior but as I'm quickly finding out I don't know as much about the interior options as I thought I did.

Klinton994, I apologize again for my ignorance! :-)