Interior Discussion about interior restoration, repairs, and modifications.

New t top seals still leak!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:31 AM

Received 100 Likes on 76 Posts
Car: 85 Berlinetta
Engine: 350
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.42 with Torsen posi
New t top seals still leak!

So I installed new t top seals and they still leak at the outer corners. From what I can see they are sealed good. New seals fit perfect. The tops fit nice and tight on the seals. I had to practically lay on the tops to get them latched. Anyone else have the same issues?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: New t top seals still leak!

Probably didn't use enough weatherstrip adhesive/caulk, or your tops are too tight and mashing the new weatherstrip flat. The t top weatherstrip channel needs enough room to allow water to flow out.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Aaron R.
Probably didn't use enough weatherstrip adhesive/caulk, or your tops are too tight and mashing the new weatherstrip flat. The t top weatherstrip channel needs enough room to allow water to flow out.
I know I used enough adhesive. I will try adjusting the latch points.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i have been through multiple sets of seals and still leaks. my car is different tho, in that it leaks through the t-bar too. I found a ton of rust and cut it out and replaced the parts and stuff (probably more work than the car is worth) and still leaks. Right now my corners leak too since i didnt use GM seals. so far those were the best. good luck, its a whole lot of adjusting. my pops worked in gm dealerships when these cars were new and said they'd just set up a sprinkler over the car and look for leaks and adjust constantly but they'd still leak when brand new
Old 05-28-2019, 10:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8

man that bites - lots of work for the same results. Are you certain you got the correct seals? There are several different p/n's for these seals, and I see the wrong ones being advertised on ebay. but yes, I'd check adjustment of t-tops. there is front and back that can be adjusted.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
man that bites - lots of work for the same results. Are you certain you got the correct seals? There are several different p/n's for these seals, and I see the wrong ones being advertised on ebay. but yes, I'd check adjustment of t-tops. there is front and back that can be adjusted.
Yeah they are the right seals. They fit perfect and everything lined up. The old ones leaked all over. These it's just the outer corners now. I will try adjusting them and maybe a little silicone in a couple spots. I just don't want to put my recovered and repaired headliner in till i have the leaks fixed. Or the whole interior for that matter. I have it stripped to nothing but the drivers seat now.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 176 Likes on 135 Posts
Car: 90 Formula / T-tops
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: MD8

Originally Posted by Fullmonte77
Yeah they are the right seals. They fit perfect and everything lined up. The old ones leaked all over. These it's just the outer corners now. I will try adjusting them and maybe a little silicone in a couple spots. I just don't want to put my recovered and repaired headliner in till i have the leaks fixed. Or the whole interior for that matter. I have it stripped to nothing but the drivers seat now.
lol - I'm almost in same boat. Have 1/2 my interior out replacing headliner material right now. just dropped off headliner and forgot to bring the material! overly excited I guess. heading back to the installer in short order.

I was taking a close look at the seals while down this far, just wondering what all was involved. they are in there all but good from what I can gather. i noticed there are some metal clamps or something at the top of the windshield that I wasn't expecting after seeing the seals. they are tucked in there hidden by molding and headliner right under the t-top securing thing. looks as tho they are glued to the seals. BTW - I think most of the part number mix up on seals involves the seals that attach to the glass. there are a few different part numbers out there, and also SOME replacement seals (not NOS) have plastic instead of rubber options.

keep us posted, i've thought about replacing the seals, but I don't have leaks, it would be only to make the car look factory fresh. but with your story, not sure if that is a good idea, and wasn't sure already anyway, as they would not be factory installed - which is a top goal of mine when possible.

Last edited by LiquidBlue; 05-28-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidBlue
lol - I'm almost in same boat. Have 1/2 my interior out replacing headliner material right now. just dropped off headliner and forgot to bring the material! overly excited I guess. heading back to the installer in short order.

I was taking a close look at the seals while down this far, just wondering what all was involved. they are in there all but good from what I can gather. i noticed there are some metal clamps or something at the top of the windshield that I wasn't expecting after seeing the seals. they are tucked in there hidden by molding and headliner right under the t-top securing thing. looks as tho they are glued to the seals. BTW - I think most of the part number mix up on seals involves the seals that attach to the glass. there are a few different part numbers out there, and also SOME replacement seals (not NOS) have plastic instead of rubber options.

keep us posted, i've thought about replacing the seals, but I don't have leaks, it would be only to make the car look factory fresh. but with your story, not sure if that is a good idea, and wasn't sure already anyway, as they would not be factory installed - which is a top goal of mine when possible.
Yeah there are 2 tabs on the seals one in the front and one in the rear by the pillars. They have a screw that goes through the tab and holds the seal to the body. Pretty sure that's where my leaks are at. I might not have sealed where they transition from top to down the pillars well enough.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts
Car: 3 T-Tops
Engine: 327/305/305
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42/2:73

May not be just the seals or the seals at all... Try the cup of water trick and pour over just the ttop itself. They can leak between the glass and ttop trim edge once the sealer in there starts breaking down after 30+ years. Found this out on my 82 several years ago and had to reseal that crevice.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

The tops need to be adjusted right, and the doors need to right, and the door glass needs to be adjusted right. Get anything in the system adjusted wrong and the doors won't close right, the windows won't line up with the seals, and/or you'll have leaks.

Hardtops Rule!
Old 05-30-2019, 12:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

My Dad says they got em in the body shop almost directly off the showroom floor leaking. Like Drew said everything has to be in adjustment and these cars are all 30+ so good luck man.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts
Car: 3 T-Tops
Engine: 327/305/305
Transmission: TH350/700R4/700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:42/2:73

Originally Posted by dmccain
My Dad says they got em in the body shop almost directly off the showroom floor leaking. Like Drew said everything has to be in adjustment and these cars are all 30+ so good luck man.
I'd venture to say that ALL t-top cars leak regardless if someone firmly believes they don't. Pay me to fly to your house and I'll show you they do. I can make a hard top leak too. In a "normal" rain scenario they shouldn't leak if adjusted properly with the sealant in the right places. In extreme heavy downpours, sideways blowing rain and ME with a garden hose, they'll leak every time. My trusty garden hose will make all thirdgens leak. 100% tried and tested. Hardtops are no match for me.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 721 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

My T-tops leaked once on an incline and a pretty much flash flood at a July 4th show last year. They don't leak under heavy rain driving down the road. I do agree under circumstances they will likely all

leak.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 PM
Supreme Member

Received 348 Likes on 263 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro Berlinetta
Engine: LT1
Transmission: T56 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.11 LS1 Rear End

Hey Bob, Did you lay anything under the T-Top Bar before laying it on the roof ?? Gm installed a foam "pad" under the front and back ends of the T-Top bar. this thing was not only used to seal the 4 mount holes that are partially exposed to water,... but they also "fill" the uneven areas created by Body Sealer .

Once the foam pad was laid out and before the T-Top bar gets screwed down,... Sealer must be used in the front and back underside of the T-Bar. There are 6 areas ( 3 front in front and in 3 back ) that should be sealed up before you even handle the Weather stripping. These pics show a gap be teen the body and the T-Top bar at both ends of the bar. ( BADS THINGS MAN ! ) The lines I drew just highlight the 6 areas that should be sealed and left to dry before installing the weather strip.

Once the T-T Bar is screwed in place and the sealer on the front/back hardens ( or 'sets-up') the weather stripping can get installed. The corners where the weatherstrip fits into the T-Bar and the body is where I find most leaks to come from. Water will go wherever it can and it's not always easy figuring out where it got in at first.

( in my experience ) That foam pad that GM used is VERY VERY important to getting a good seal when installing replacement T-Tops. If you didn't account for ths thing when you installed the new weatherstripping - my guess is that it *might* be part of the reason your still getting leakage.

The following users liked this post:
Gibby10 (08-31-2020)