LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Here we go again. Swap #2 has begun. LOTS of pics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Trans Am GTA
Engine: WAS 350 - now L92 (alum. 378/6.2L)
Transmission: WAS 700R4, now a built T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt
Re: Here we go again. Swap #2 has begun. LOTS of pics...

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
v8rumble: I took a measurement for ya. I went off the auto shifter bracket, since that should be pretty constant. Or close enough.

My hole is 1.75" back from the front most part of the bracket. Then, its 9" from the bracket to the back of the hole. And its 4" wide. So the hole should be around 4x7.25.
Cool, thanks J - I'm guessing that the "auto shifter bracket" is a piece that's attached to the floor pan?? (I haven't yet quite gotten to the point where I've taken any of the interior apart, although that's not very far off I suspect...)

Either way, THANK YOU!!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 86 Trans AM
Engine: LS1 (not stock...)
Transmission: Built T56
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt w/ 3.73

Yeah you are correct. That is the front most part of the auto shifter bracket that is welded to the floor. It should be a good spot to measure from.

But like I said...my measurements are approximate. And you are still way better off holding the trans up in place and marking the opening...

Still no SFCs from UMI... Was told they'd ship wednesday. I hope they ship today...because I can still get them for the weekend...when I need them. Im not mad...but Im really dissappointed. I figured they are 4 hours away, and seem to be a stand up company. But Im getting turned in circles. Starting to think I should have just driven out to spohn and picked up another set of his. But...Im gonna wait it out and hopefully they can get them to me asap.

J.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" for the ladies
Re: UPDATE!!!

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Hey J,

Do you think it would be possible for you to throw a tape measure in there, & measure how far back your cut is from the inside of the firewall?

I know that we'd need to add another inch or so, but it sure would be cool to have a good, "ballpark" idea of where we should start cutting...

Thanks.
FYI I made all my cuts inside of the old auto shifter holes so if I ever wanted to go back to an auto I could still bolt the auto shifter right up.
I also never took the center console out to make the cuts.
Hope that helps
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Supreme Member

Hehe I dont know how you could go back to an auto after running the 6speed... Its driving me crazy when I drive the 86 with the auto. haha.

Well..Looks like UMI came through and I got my SFCs today. They look absolutely gorgeous. The car has never been hit or tweaked, so Im hoping they fit good. Might even be able to post a couple pics of removing the exhaust and what not on the 86...depending on how far I get tonight.

J.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:01 PM

Car: 1983 & 1993 camaro z28
Engine: 5.0 carbed/ LT1 injected
Transmission: T5/auto
Axle/Gears: 373/posi

Hey have you ever check Gas mile on that motor .what to know wether it worth the swap
Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Supreme Member

Do you mean the MPG on the LS1??? Its WAY better than my 305 TPI with auto was. Im getting over 20 around town constantly. I took it down to the outer banks two summers ago, and I got almost 30 on the highways cruising. No one believes me when I say "I cant wait to drive my TA to save gas..." If you are nice to the skinny pedal, the gas gauge will be kind to ya.

Well...Made some progress tonight. Tomorrow will be the big push. Motor should be coming out tomorrow. I got the SFCs up in place, and pulled the y-pipe and cat off. Let me say...the UMI SFCs are fantastic. They fit like a glove, look great, and you cant see them. I have the air deflectors on my car...and the bars are 100% hidden. Tomorrow morning Im going to burn them on, move the car, and start stripping it down.

Here are a couple pictures. Its so nice working on such a low mile car. The exhaust looked new. More or less took itself apart.

Getting started:

Exhaust out of the way:

SFCs:

Perfect:

You really have to get down to see them. Even if I take the air deflectors off, they will still be tucked up nicely.

Before I weld them tomorrow, IM going to pull the seats, and probably the console and carpet. I plan to weld the SFCs to the pinch seam and floor...argue if you want, but Im doing it. Hopefully the weather cooperates and everything goes smooth. More pics to come tomorrow Im sure.

J.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Axle/Gears: Tru-Track posi/Moser axles/4.10

Im glad you got them Justin. Hopefully you can get some good progress now
Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah man...I have to work on a buddies jeep for a few minutes, then Im breaking out the welder.

It was great meeting you and your gf... and your car kubis! Hope the rest of your trip is going well!

J.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Supreme Member

Well, got a few things done. Saturday was a bit of a pain. My buddies jeep took longer than I wanted. Then a whole list of issues kept popping up. I found out I was out of wheels for my grinder. Tried using some other tools to get the powder coat stripped...but thats tough stuff. Then...the big issue. Found out I was out of gas for my welder. Drove over to another friends house, stole some wheels for the grinder, and borrowed his bottle so I could atleast get some welding done... It was either that or be down until monday.

Anyway...onto some pictures. Go the SFCs on. I think Im still going to weld to the pinch seam though. Because once I put the car up on jack stands, and let the front of the car down, the doors seemed to not shut exactly the same. They were fine when it was on the ground... So I want to tie things together a tad more.

Not my best welds...I hate welding in tight spots upside down. But they arent going anywhere.

When I had the pass. side mocked up, I tacked the little piece to the big piece...since I wont need to snake over exhaust, I figured Ide just weld it solid out of the car.

Then I got some small stuff done. Drained coolant. Removed radiator and hoses. Started moving wiring around and what not. And got some of the front suspension apart. Trying to be creative and come up with a way of removing the k-member without having to remove the coils...

And...thought you guys might be tired of looking at such a dirty car. So was I. so I washed her before I made her immobile.

Thats it for now. Gonna see how the weather plays out, and probably try to drop the motor tomorrow after work. Then Ill start pulling everything out of the bay. Im going to switch over the headlight system to the newer style. Im also going to try to see what I need to do to put my intermittent wipers in. Then evertying is getting cleaned, and ready for some paint.

Thanks for following along! I know nothing real good has happened yet. Haha. All this little crap is taking forever.

J.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 PM

Same color scheme but replace the blue with black and it will be awesome (minus the sticker of course)
Old 05-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Supreme Member

You've inspired me to do some photoshopping kubis. Havent messed with car colors in awhile, so Ill have to dust off the memory.

I wish I could accuratly photoshop that graphite metallic color that you and I talked about the other day. I dont think thats possible though. haha. Atleast not from me.

J.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM

How about this?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Supreme Member

Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 PM

I dont know what I like more... The grey is different. The black is super clean...
Old 05-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 06 SRM M6 GTO, 98 Grand Prix GTP

after staring at my car being gray for so long, I say the black. Looks SOOO much better IMO.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Supreme Member

I kind of got involved, so I dont have too many pictures. But the motor is out of the 86 finally. What a pain. I tried to leave as much as the front suspension together as possible, but it just wasnt happening. Ended up pulling it all off at the control arms. But its out...

Hopefully progress continues and hopefully it picks up the pace alittle. ILl post some pictures when I get a chance to snap some.

J.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: IROC-Z
Engine: LSx
Axle/Gears: Fabbed 9"

Definately dark gray man! It looks awesome.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Engine: LS2
Axle/Gears: Moser Ford-9, 3.50

Nice work! I can't wait to see how you finish it up!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Supreme Member

Haha... Not nearly as great as yours did! Its moving so darn slow right now. I THINK my remote bleeder for the clutch hydraulics came in. So I can separate the trans and swap out the slave and install the remote bleeder. Then I gotta get back on the car and get pedals mounted, holes cut, metal painted, wires installed.. Then I can finally move on to the rear of the car...

My aspirations for having this done so quickly are slowly dwindling. The weather is killing me right now.

J.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:23 AM

Thanks! It looks like you have a real clean car to start with, and since you've done this once before I'm sure it'll look great.

That's a nice blue color too, maybe paint the ground effects the same color.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Supreme Member

Issue after issue after issue guys...

here's where Im at. Wiating for new header bolts from Stage 8. Mine were super rusty after less than a year. Got new header gaskets, new slave cylinder, new pilot bushing, remote bleeder, and a couple others goodies.

Upon taking my trans and clutch out today, I found a bit of a mess. I dont think Ill be putting this back in....so now I have to figure out what clutch I want to get...and how Im going to afford it. Im moving in 2 weeks, so dough is tight right now.

The clutch, besides the obvious wear, had some nice waves in it going around the circumference. Feels like glazed worn brake rotors.

But hey...the old pilot bearing came right out. That was a nice surprise.

Gonna figure out which clutch kit I want tomorrow, and make a call to see who can get me what the fastest.

J.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM

LS7 from Scoggin Dickey
Old 05-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Supreme Member

Im thinkin about it. Its $445 shipped. Im just worried that Im not gonig to like it. Ive heard about people having issues with it. And Im wondering if the extra 500 would be good spent on the TEX. I KNOW the TEX will hold whatever ill put through it. Im going to be upgrading the cam, so whatever I get I need to plan ahead alittle.

Plus if I ever go with FI, I want to be ok. Ugh...I hate these decisions. I dont watn to have to change the clutch again anytime soon. And Im loving everything the TEX has to offer, and havent heard one bad thing about it. With all the crap I have into the car, maybe I should just bite the bullet.

J.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:30 AM

The LS7 clutch is good for daily use, it supposedly glazes over after a few runs on the track. So it depends on how you plan to use your car. You'll also need an LS2 flywheel, if you don't have it already.

I went from a SPEC 3+ to the LS7, but I put it in storage shortly after the swap, so I never got to test it much. I'm probably going to go with a double clutch next time though, less effort and it'll hold all the power I can make.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah Ive heard some issues with the LS7 after some abuse. I plan on giving it abuse I plan on hitting the track. If the car is working well, Im going to throw slicks on it. THEN I think the LS7 might have issues. I just dont want to chance it..know what i mean? Ide rather spend more now, KNOW it will hold up to what I need, than put something in that MIGHT be fine.

That extra 500 bucks is worth it if I dont have to replace the clutch again after the motor is back in. Plus, the TEX is lighter I think. And Im giving up my alum flywheel...which I liked quite a bit.

Waiting for a response from byunspeed...then Ill make the call.

J.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: 6.2L

Yeah man I think your thinking wise by upgrading. I love the LS7 clutch on the street and it did perform well for me at the track BUT I'm not making the power you are and it was starting to smell towards the end of the season. From what I've posted and read I think I've maxed out the 60's on it and my car would launch harder but its now the clutch thats limiting me. No big deal really I dont plan on much track time at all this season its a long drive for me and the car is a driver anyways.

That said i like the spec 3+ too if you dont feel like ponying up the coin for the Tex theres guys into the 9's with that clutch over at LS1tech so it'll take the pounding although its not as friendly on the street but heck you know that your taking out the regular spec 3 which is not a bad piece either.

One more thing regarding your pressure plate there... I know it looks scary but its not at all abnormal in my experience to see the plate and the flywheel get like that. Happy shopping and get that sucker back together already
Old 05-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11

Awsome thread. I have a SPEC (normal) 3 in my T-56 and I am wondering what it looks like now But like was said above. It doesn't look "bad" just looks used. But not like it wouldn't work though.

ANyways, let us know what clutch you go with, I am always interested in what I might move up to in the envent that I go FI.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Hahaha... Yeah I know. Im sick of it taking this long for stuff to get done.

I thought about going with another spec...but arent those pretty expensive by the time you get a new flywheel?

That flywheel that I have seems bad. Like I can catch the little cracks with my fingernails. And there are waves in the surface... Either way, I have it this far apart, it would be dumb to not atleast put the LS7 in...

BUT...Im a clutch noob. So I just assumed it was bad. haha. I still have my finger on the trigger, but havent pulled it yet.

J.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

I'm not saying put it back in or anything I know I'd change that one if it was me too and for cars at this power level the last thing you want is an in use failure of your clutch or flywheel YIKES!! but that said?... Ahh man I've trashed the heck out clutches faaar beyond that amount of damage. My second truck was an 81 2500 four spd bull low GM p/u and the flywheel would come out with cracks so wide you could slide nickels into them and I did that twice... to the same flywheel LOL just took it in for a grind and it came back looking like new. I'm sure it was all out of balance during the end there but in that thing I didnt care.

In other performance stick cars I've had good luck with clutches until the damn t56. The LT1 style clutches SUCK as far as I'm concerned at least and I never had any luck finding a good one that performed even half as well as this LS7 I have now.

I'd like to see an LS7 disk option because the plate grabs hard there is no worry there its just the disk that heats up and gets a little loose and thats strictly a driveability thing and even more likely if you look at GM in the past its a drivetrain weak link thats cheaper to fix than a blown diff or half shafts because the stock LS7 Vettes go high tens on a perfect pass BONE STOCK!!! Man that is impressive.

Speaking of that last summer I eye witnessed an 11.3 124 mph pass from a 2007 ZO6 on stock everything. Air filter, run flats all of it absolutely bone stock. So the LS7 clutch has holding power it just doesnt seem to like high RPM dumps due to heat. I'm a little wreckless so I've launched mine as high as 7K RPM on et street DR's and it held up and still works okay. Anyways thats how I see the LS7 clutch and really its plusses and minuses but its big advantage is it drives just as any other stock clutch would or should. Butter smooth with low pedal effort.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11

Yeah, those LS7s are just outta control. All other car manufactureres kinda look the other way when they see what they can do, since NO ONE is even close for that price range.

Maybe after the SPEC is dead I will get one of those. What kinda special plate do you have to run? I have a retrofit flywheel now so that I can run my 93 T-56 on my GEN I, block.

is it all pricey stuff?
Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Trust me gents... Ide MUCH rather grab the $450 LS7 set up right now. Ive just heard good and bad. I like hearing your good stories CAM... because i doubt Ill be doing 7k clutch dumps. haha. And it will be awhile before the car gets any really good sticky tires on it.

Do you notice any ill effects from the added weight of that flywheel set up? Ill be going from the SPEC aluminum wheel...which revs like a winston cup car, and flys from a decent roll. I know street driving will be better, but Im worried that motor will feel sluggish to me since Im used the lighter set up.

J.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Supreme Member

Waiting for a response from byunspeed...
Well... Not to be too negative or whatever, but that's just about the last vendor that I'd buy from personally. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that he's been known to be VERY derogatory/contemptuous regarding thirdgens. (This happened directly to one of my friends, I'll point him to this thread & see if he wants to comment...)

I was intending to buy a LOT of stuff through him before I learned what had happened.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-16-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Huh... Well that sucks. They always have great reviews over on tech...

Either way, he doesnt know its for a thirdgen related project. I emailed them directly on their site and just mentioned that I was interested in the TEX clutch and wanted to know the lead time. Still havent heard from them though..

Besides, I think I might just go with the cheaper LS7 at this point. My car is easy enough to dismantle. So if I ever need to do a clutch swap later, no big deal. Plus Im pretty sure SDPC can get me that clutch next week and I can put things back together.

I just hope Im not too bummed about the heavy flywheel changing my motors characteristics. Maybe it wont be that bad... Oh well. I just want the thing back on the road.

J.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Do you notice any ill effects from the added weight of that flywheel set up? Ill be going from the SPEC aluminum wheel...which revs like a winston cup car, and flys from a decent roll. I know street driving will be better, but Im worried that motor will feel sluggish to me since Im used the lighter set up.
I dont notice anything off about it at all but I have no reference point as this is the only clutch set up I have ran since I swapped in the LS1 although to me it feels mighty snappy but that could just be the waaay different engine characteristics. Heres a cool link

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816229
Old 05-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

I just hope Im not too bummed about the heavy flywheel changing my motors characteristics. Maybe it wont be that bad... Oh well. I just want the thing back on the road.
Seriously man, I'm gonna be really surprised if you're even aware of it once the car's back on the road - and I say that for two reasons:

1 - AFAIK, you've been driving something other than an LSx-powered F-body for at least a month now. Once you get behind the wheel again, you're gonna be grinnin' like Bill Clinton at the Playboy mansion...

2 - What's the weight difference between the steel & the aluminum flywheel, as a percentage of the total weight of the rotating assembly? MAYBE ten percent??? I realize that rotating weight (esp. unsprung weight) can have a disproportionate effect on acceleration, but I really, honestly doubt that it'll even amount to a tenth of a second in the quarter-mile. And speaking just for myself, I have a tough time detecting much under a half-second or so...

Now I could be totally wrong on this, but I suspect that it won't be too long before you largely forget about this...
Old 05-17-2008, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1992 GTA
Axle/Gears: 4.10

When I went from the LS6 to the LS7 clutch setup I did notice a slight difference in how the motor climbed in RPM's, but it was very minimal and after a month on the LS7 clutch I can't tell anymore. I love the way it handles in daly driving tho. As I said on ls1tech its a hoot to drive in traffic.

If you plan on beating on the car maybe a Tex might be the way to go, but I love my LS7 so far.

EDIT, I see you have the aluminum flywheel. That might make a larger difference. I think the aluminum ls1 flywheel comapred to the steel ls7 is over 7 pounds lighter. Maybe grab another mod while you are swapping the motor

Last edited by razor; 05-17-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"

something to think about...the heavier steel flywheel will likely allow your car to launch quicker because the rotating weight is not as easily slowed down once the momentum is up. most fast stick cars at the drag strip do not use aluminum flywheels, and last i knew, the fast auto guys are using an sfi approved flexplate that is heavier than stock, again, because the momentum of a heavier object is harder to slow down (once in motion, an object wants to STAY in motion)

Last edited by mw66nova; 05-18-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:30 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 IROC/05 RX8
Engine: LS1/LS1
Transmission: T56/T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42 GM/3.55 8.8

Originally Posted by mw66nova
(once in motion, an object wants to STAY in motion)
Newtons 1st Law
Old 05-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Supreme Member

Yup..you guys are correct that it will launch better. But the car rockets during a roll right now. Its very snappy and it just revs like mad. The set up I have now is probably closer to 10-13 lbs lighter than the LS7 set up...

But...its a pain to drive in traffic sometimes. Im still not sure what Im doing. I guess Im buying the LS7 because I cant swing the money for the TEX right now. Im not worried about the weight thing as much anymore. As long as it holds, Ill be ok with it.

The weather broke on saturday and I was able to get some little crap done. Got the engine bay cleaned out alittle more. Got all the a/c parts out. Got the brake booster out. Figured out what Im doing for wiring and all... All thats left to do is pull out the main harness, clean up the engine bay, and paint it. Then I can start putting it back together.

I also started pulling the interior. Seats, console, shifter, etc etc. Just getting things out of the way.

One thing I will say. Im loving this clean car. Most of the things im taking apart have never been touched. Unlike my other car where everything had been gone through before. I mean, not even the seat bolts had been off before. Here are a few pictures just to give you guys osmething to look at.

305 wiring out of there:

Look how clean the batt. tray is. I rarely see them without rust. Mine 87 had holes in it.

Some random shots under the dash and what not...

Paint still on the darn seat bolts...

I wanted to swap over to the newer style head light motors. And a new other things... Thought it was going to be a chore. But I think I can just swap the entire front end harness from the bulkhead connector out. I think it will take care of my wiper/washer, lights, horns..all of it. And I wont have to re-modify the harness for the swap.

Hopefully I get my clutch ordered tomorrow, and this thing can get moving.

J.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by A10Beav
That's a nice blue color too, maybe paint the ground effects the same color.
THANK YOU!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the blue looks great!

(BTW J, check your inbox...)
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Supreme Member

Just pulled the trigger on an LS7 clutch kit. That will be here this week. So I can get the darn motor back together atleast.

So... My only hurdle at this point is pedals/master cylinder. My RAM's rod is bent . So...I gotta figure out how to unbend it. I also need to make sure the line is ok, because it got kinked alittle during the engine removal. It should be ok, but Im gonna check it out.

I dont know how Im going to drill the RAM rod end out to fit the thridgen stud. I was also having a hard time getting the master cylinder to come even close to fitting the thirdgen pedals out of the car. I guess I have to mount the pedals in to see where they fall in order to get it all to fit properly.

Thats really the only thing Im concerned with.

On the list for today after work. Im going to remove both head light assemblies from the 86, and finish removing the front harness. Then Im going to lay in my modified harness, and install the newer style headlight assemblies. probably try to do a function check of all that. If it works, Im going to start cleaning the engine bay.

J.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 Trans/am convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 drum WS6

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
Well... Not to be too negative or whatever, but that's just about the last vendor that I'd buy from personally. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that he's been known to be VERY derogatory/contemptuous regarding thirdgens. (This happened directly to one of my friends, I'll point him to this thread & see if he wants to comment...)

I was intending to buy a LOT of stuff through him before I learned what had happened.
Young Tae Byun runs byunspeed. I met him personally. Here in Colorado, he has personally screwed quite a few third gen owning members. Some people get his stuff, others dont. Its really hit or miss. All I know is that he has changed the name of his bussiness quite a bit to avoid members he screwed. On top of all of that he talked smack about every third gen that was in the club at the time being. Personally, I am still waiting for him to show up somewhere where I can kick his little punk ***.

Take it or leave it.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Supreme Member

Damn...that sucks. I didnt go with Byunspeed. I never got a response from two emails...so Scoggy Dicken got my business. Clutch will be here in a couple days.

Got out of work late today. My boss has a habit of knowing that I want to leave on time and get work done at home...because he always seems to keep me late on those days. Jerk...

I did manage to get a few odds and ends finished though. I pulled the 86 headlight assemblies. Remembered reading that the frame/assembly was the same from 82-90...just the motors that changed. To my delight, that was true. I popped the motors from the new assemblies that I got to fix my car on the 86 parts. They went together like they were meant to be together. While I had the lights out, I was able to finish pulling the harness out of the car as well. Going to keep my fingers crossed that everything from the bulkhead back is the same. haha. I plan to just take the harness from the 87, do a couple wire checks, smack the harness in, and have everything work. Not sure if thats gonna happen, but my luck is about due to cash in.

Here are some pictures of all that....

Continued...
Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

I also had some time to play with the pedals and master cylinder. I have to say, they didnt exactly fall together, and I have some things I need to figure out. I had to push/pull those supports for them to match up to the master cylinder. Which has me worried. Because I cant just bolt the pedals up, and drill the holes where they fall. Im thinking about welding a support across the brackets to keep them in place for the hole drilling.

The other issue is, my master cylinder is a RAM unit. So it has a spherical rod end on it. Not only is that going to be a pain to drill out to 7/16, but its wayyyyy too wide. You have to grind it down alittle just to fit it on the 4th gen pedals. But no way can I grind that much off. So...on to alternative choices. Going to see what Grainger and McMaster Carr have to offer.

Here are a couple pics of me playing around with the assembly. Am I correct in assuming there is no "return" spring on the 3rd gen pedals? I need to find a clutch safety switch too.....Not sure if the 4th gen one will fit. I dont think so though.

Im taking a half day on friday, and I have monday off. So Im thinking I might get the engine bay painted and start putting things back together. If that happens, and I get the clutch/trans installed, and the weather holds, I might be putting the motor in this weekend We'll see.

J.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Supreme Member

no spring on third gen pedals correct
Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 PM

Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Stock LS1
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt

I can't remember what the exact size was, but I just drilled out the M/C rod last weekend. It was a x/64" something, I just found the size closest to the hole, put some PB Blaster on it (so it wasn't dry and grab too hard, still used vice grips to hold the bushing) and kept going up by 1/64" until it fit. My problem now, is that even though it fits, it's angled, so it won't stay on.

Any thoughts??
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

I measured the stud on the pedals to be about .4375...or 7/16. Thats what Ive been looking for as far as rod ends go. I can see the stock end being easy to drill out. However mine is a spherical rod end.... So it has a bearing in it. Not going to be easy to drill no matter how I look at it. Im currently looking for some solid ends with no bushing to either a) just run it with no bushing, or b) drill it bigger, and try to fit a bushing of some sort in there.

I have a stock master rod laying around somewhere....or I thought I did. Im going to look again tomorow.

v6canvas...dont you have a clip on there to keep it in place??

J.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

Not a whole lot done... But I got the motor up on the engine stand...instead of it sitting awkwardly on some wood on the floor. I ordered a new oil pan gasket which will be in today. I think thats where most of my oil residue is coming from. The rear main seal was dry as a bone, so Im leaving it alone. It should have less than 30k miles on it...much less.

I also ordered new seals for the FAST 90. Last time I had it apart it was alittle shady looking. And those seals seem to only be able to removed/replaced once or twice before they get out of shape. I need to take it apart to clean the darn oil out of it. Before this motor starts again its getting either a really good catch can set up, or breathers. That whole controversy is another pain... I like the simplicity of breathers, but then you get the 50/50 split where some say it will hurt the motor over time, and some say its perfectly fine...etc etc.

I looked at the pedals some more. I just dont see a way to make the ram adjustble end work. SO... My plan is to modify the pedals to work with the RAM rod end. Im going to grind the stud out of the 4th gen pedals, and weld it into the 3rd gen pedals. Seems like the easiest way to make things work.

One problem I saw. I mounted the master cylinder to the 3rd gen pedals. Then I took the clutch neutral safety switch from the 4th gen pedals, and put it on the thirdgen set. Because that switch is the same for all the years...or so Im gathering. Before the clutch pedal seemed to hit the switch, it was hitting other things. The thirdgen pedals seem more cluttered than the 4th gen set up. What I think I need to do is, mount the thirdgen pedals, along with a template of the master cylinder and see how things fall. The sound deadner has the cut outs for the master cylinder...as you can see in my pics. Ive heard of people using these. With as perfect as it was under there, Im going to see how close the pedal braces come to these holes. If it all lines up, then Im just gonna mount it all up and hope for the best.

More updates this weekend. Im taking a half day friday...and hopefully Ill be really close to getting the motor back in after this weekend. We'll see... Ill keep ya guys posted and toss up some pictures. I got all my supplies for painting the engine bay, so that should be done this weekend... That's a big hurdle. That and pedals are my only hurdles as far as Im concerned...

J.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Supreme Member

That whole controversy is another pain... I like the simplicity of breathers, but then you get the 50/50 split where some say it will hurt the motor over time, and some say its perfectly fine...etc etc.
Controversy? I am running a breather but this is the first i have heard of potential engine damage can you elaborate or got some links about that? Mine seems fine thus far the only thing is once in a while ( Once for me so far ) you have to clean the breather as it eventually becomes oil soaked and starts to stink. Smells pretty bad too im sure you can imagine but it does take a while ( at least in my case ) for it to start smelling bad. I used the K&N filter cleaner and let it dry and all was rosy again.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Supreme Member

Ill try to get you some links. I usually find the conversations going on over on TECH about it. I just search for "breather" or "PCV delete" and get hours of good reading. haha. But one thread explained it in good detail. (EDIT: That particular thread was regarding deleting the PCV and running two hoses down under the car. not pertaining to running breathers specifically. Ill still try to find the other links...)

Now...I dont know if this is just guys trying to sell the catch cans or what.

I dont mind the smell. The car is catless and has an odor most the time anyway. Do you get oil mist all over the engine bay? Or is that more BS from people...

Link to come....

J.

EDIT #2: After looking for threads to link to, Im just as irritated about the decision as before. There are just too many to link. Just search for "PCV delete" over on tech, and give those a look over. One guy TLewis claims to be a motor builder for a long time and says that a good catch can/PCV set up is the way to go etc etc... Again, 50% say breathers are the way, 50% say no way run the PCV with a can... So annoying. haha.

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 05-22-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Here we go again. Swap #2 has begun. LOTS of pics...