LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS1 Cluster ind lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1 Cluster ind lights?

Hiya guys, i swapped a LS1 and ls1 gauge cluster into my 87 camaro.

Engine runs great, and im happy But i have some ind light lit.

ABS Inop (i have no abs so no wonder)
AIR BAG (dont have this either)
BRAKE (i have those )
Service vehicle

Thing is, my yearly inspection is comming up, i dont think theyll know the LS1 doesnt belong there, i really really hope they wont, but if they see an abs or airbag failure light lit in the dash ill fail inspection, and saying i swapped another engine in and dont even have abs would make matters 10 times worse.
So i need to turn of the abs and airbag ind, they seem to be operated through the serial data cable. Also i need the brake light to come on and of with the parking brake, now its always lit tried grounding A5, didnt make a diff, tried hooking it to the +12V, didnt make a diff, its just always lit

I have HPTuners but i cant find anything about ind lights in it, is there a way to do this without opening the dash and just smashing them
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: LS1 T56
Axle/Gears: Richmond 3.73
Re: LS1 Cluster ind lights?

i had to take my cluster apart and de-solder all the LEDs off of it for the lights that wouldn't go off.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by ShMaCk2004
i had to take my cluster apart and de-solder all the LEDs off of it for the lights that wouldn't go off.

Thats plan B , i was hoping i didnt have to, cus i kinda glued the ls1 cluster into the 3rdgen dash hehe , was hoping i wouldnt have to break it free again, but i guess there is no other way
Old 06-07-2010, 03:06 PM

Fixed it today, took the cluster out, removed the ABS airbag and service vehicle LED's.

for the brake LED, i folllowed the circuit on the board to the LED resistor, after the resistor it continued through a metal wire, removed that and hooked my own wire there instead, that i hooked up to the parking brake switch, now everything works like a charm ^^
Old 06-08-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: 91 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70 35 spline wavetrack

Hey klubba I have the same problems but,I dont want to pull or break bulbs. I would like to find a better solution. I have searched and found almost nothing,I did see mention of a 45 ohm resistor to turn off the abs light,but no details as to how and where to install. I think the brake light is on because the abs light is on,if the abs light is turned off the brake light will function properly. No clue on the air bag light,but if the brake,abs,air bag lights are properly turned off the service vehicle light will go out,I think. So thats where I'm at any help would be great. Any pics of that cluster swap ?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:54 PM
On Probation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: LsX
Transmission: MN12 6speed
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by Klubba
Hiya guys, i swapped a LS1 and ls1 gauge cluster into my 87 camaro.

Engine runs great, and im happy But i have some ind light lit.

ABS Inop (i have no abs so no wonder)
AIR BAG (dont have this either)
BRAKE (i have those )
Service vehicle

Thing is, my yearly inspection is comming up, i dont think theyll know the LS1 doesnt belong there, i really really hope they wont, but if they see an abs or airbag failure light lit in the dash ill fail inspection, and saying i swapped another engine in and dont even have abs would make matters 10 times worse.
So i need to turn of the abs and airbag ind, they seem to be operated through the serial data cable. Also i need the brake light to come on and of with the parking brake, now its always lit tried grounding A5, didnt make a diff, tried hooking it to the +12V, didnt make a diff, its just always lit

I have HPTuners but i cant find anything about ind lights in it, is there a way to do this without opening the dash and just smashing them
just wondering did you use the complete 4thgen dash? or just the cluster.
any visuals on how you (removed that and hooked my own wire there instead, that i hooked up to the parking brake switch) ive been to lazy to take out the cluster and fix these dummy lights