LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

Okay, about this LS1 "piston slap"...Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I didn't think to take a picture when I pulled the converter out. I have it back now, and took a few before it went back in.

One of the ring mount bolts that came loose (all three came loose):

If paint makes it work better, we should be in good shape:

Oh, the oil leak was the pan gasket, not the rear main seal. I had dropped the pan to replace the oil pump and generally clean things up, apparently I didn't clean the gasket surfaces well enough. There was some hardened crud between the oil pan gasket and rear cover. Weird, I was sure I had cleaned all of that stuff off. Oh, well, the "new" engine for sure is cleaned up - did it on the engine stand instead of swinging from the engine hoist, and replaced the pan gasket.

The engine and tranny are back under the car. Now to do a bunch of hooking things back up...
Old 04-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"
Re: Okay, about this LS1 "piston slap"...Update

gonna be ready for the 2011 race season? how many cars are you running this year?
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 89 WS6 TransAm
Engine: LQ408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Strange S60, 4.10s
Re: Okay, about this LS1 "piston slap"...Update

The LS oil pan gasket, though rubber sealing, still requires a dab of silicone at each corner joint that the front / rear covers cause to seal properly.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:28 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
I did put the silicone on the corners where the block and back cover meet. It was leaking in the very middle of the back of the pan. When I pulled the cover off a couple of nights ago, there was a bunch of this hardened crud (like old gasket sealer, not silicone) between the gasket and rear cover. I was trashing pretty hard when I first put the engine together, working into the wee hours every night, trying to get it running before the race season was over, so I must have just missed properly cleaning that part. It was good & tight everywhere else.

Matt, points races start April 22. Should have this car running this week. I will be out of town next weekend, one test day on the 20th, so I should make it. After it is running, I'm going to tackle the torque arm replacement in the LS1/T56 car (going with a non-adjustable Jegster). The first stick shift race is May 14th.

Just running these two cars this year. Unless I keep breaking things - in that case, I might end up running the diesel pickup again...