LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

wake the beast

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wake the beast

Hello,

my name is Jim S.

My brother bought a 1986 Pontiac firebird trans am with a factory tuned port injection motor; about 10 years ago... it was manufactured in 11/85...

it has just been sitting ever since!! So, I decided to take it off his hands!!!

When he got it; it was not running, and he was told that all it needed was a fuel pump!! He tried to drop the tank and got about 1/2 of it taken apart when he decided to just pull up the back rug and cut an access panel to it from the top!!

Which he did and installed a new fuel pump to no avail!! the car still would not start: and he just left it covered in the back yard!!

I piddled with it off and on over the years until I took it over last summer!!

I have replaced multiple parts my latest being the computer and still no luck!!!

when I turn the key on only a few gauges start to move and only the seat belt light lights up!!!

it will turn over and if I hit it with some Either/ starting fluid it will crank up and purr like a tiger!!!

I’ve checked all fuses and relays and all the things 1 would normally think of!! but I CANNOT GET THE FUEL PUMP TO TURN ON TO SAVE MY LIFE!!!

UNLESS I run power straight from the battery to the Fuel PUMP IT WILL RUN PERFECTLY!!!

I have come to believe that it might have something to do with the VATS alarm system!!!

I have Read & Watched so many videos & articles about how to bypass the VATS system or been told that I need to buy a VATS delete chip which there are many to choose from, or to unplug the "BCM" Body Control Module while starting then plug it back in after it starts!!!

But I have also been told that the 1986 model did not have a VATS system or a "BCM",

or that there is a fusible link I could put in somewhere to bypass the alarm system!!

or it is the neutral safety switch, or I need a new key switch but if I did that the KYE SWITCH would have to be SYNKED to the Computer?? Or to do this or that!!!

I am begging for someone who has Some knowledge of my year of firebird or trans am as it has the markings of both!! To please tell me decisively tell me what I need to do so I am no longer just throwing money at it!!!!

Thank you for any assistance in advanced,

Jim S