LTX and LSX Putting LT1s, LS1s, and their variants into Third Gens is becoming more popular. This board is for those who are doing and have done the swaps so they can discuss all of their technical aspects including repairs, swap info, and performance upgrades.

LS swap...easiest years to start with.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS swap...easiest years to start with.

Just starting to get my next project together. I want to do a factory LS swap (no crazy hp build...this will be a daily) with some strengthening on the chassis. Probably a manual transmission.

So is it better to grab an older, carbuerated car and just drop the whole mess in or is it easy to just marry up the wiring as required on an EFI car. I have worked with TBI so I know it's a simple harness at least.

Or should I just get the nicest example I can regardless of year and power train?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 298 Likes on 234 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird
Engine: 4.8 LR4
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.45 9 Bolt
Re: LS swap...easiest years to start with.

The only major difference in starting with a carbureted car or an EFI car is really going to be the fuel tank and fuel pump wiring. The Carb cars didn't have the in tank pump, so the wiring is either not there, or not the same in the early cars. The wiring for the LS engine is basically going to be the same for either car, you're sort of going to be doing a "stand alone" harness for the engine and mating it to the car. When I did my 92 car with the 3.1, I re-used as many of the fuses from the original engine as I could, so my harness is as close to a bastard/hybrid "factory" harness as possible, but most people do a fuse block for the engine on it's own. It really depends on what your skill level is and what you want to do to figure it all out. I evn went as far as re-using the wiring for the OBD I port to put the OBD II connector.

The other consideration is the Camaro used a mechanical speedometer until the later years, whereas the Firebird starting using a VSS in 86(I think)
I would look for an 84+ car the nicest example you can afford and go from there.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512

Are you asking what car to buy, to put an LS into, I would say any RWD chassis around 3000lbs is great for N/A type of swaps

or what year LS to put into a car,... ?

The ideal year range for factory LS engines for swaps is 01-07
Anything made before 01 is 'flawed' whereas it seems from 01 up until DI takes over, the engines are stalwart examples
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 AM
COTM Editor

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,270 Posts
Car: '89 Firebird
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: T56

Originally Posted by Damon Kirk
Or should I just get the nicest example I can regardless of year and power train?
I would spend money up front on the car in best condition and then just do whatever is needed for the LS swap. It is usually cheaper to buy a nice car than to restore.

Starting with a fuel injected car is easier, particularly the fuel pump and wiring. Electronic speedo makes it one step easier again.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the LS swap on my '84 Trans Am. I didn't do enough research at the beginning of my project, and I bought a Gen IV engine. At the time, the ECM for the Gen IV engines couldn't be programmed to provided an speedometer signal or control the A/C. I don't know if this has been resolved yet. I was able to keep my stock gauges as my speedometer is cable driven. The T56 transmission can be modified to run a mechanical speedometer. If you want to keep your stock gauges, and older thirdgen might be better. Low mile Gen III engines aren't so plentiful now. That's just my 2 cents. Older thirdgen's have less electronics to integrate.