Mid-Atlantic Region Regional board for all of the Mid-Atlantic states. Discuss gatherings and get togethers.

Problems With Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems With Ethanol

Hey All,

Be advised on alot of the problems stemming from ethanol. In the marine industry, ethanol is really causing problems in that it wicks moisture, then creates a substance on the inside of fiberglass fuel tanks that greatly damages the tanks themselves.

Talking to repair shops for small engines, lawn&garden tools, ect., they say their service departments have been overwhelmed with problems directly stemming from the use of ethanol gasoline. They all told me to use premium grade gas, since it has the lowest percentage of ethanol in it supposedly.
Engines in storage are really at risk in creating a substance in the carbs that really present problems when springtime startup comes, and the engines just wont run right.
A friend of mine has a not quite a 2 year old Honda 4 stroke outboard, and he had major problems with the engine throttling up from lets say mid range, up to wide open throttle. Turned out that it was the ethanol in the gas that had deposited this substance in his carbs. At $90.00 per hour labor from the boat dealer, he decided to do his best on his own to remedy the situation.
After many times running cleaner through the fuel system, he is back to running fine, but the experts say to not only run the outboard dry of fuel, but to then drain each carb bowl after running, even during the summer.
Something we may want to keep in mind, especially if we have cars that we don't run on a regular basis, and/or put up in storage for the winter months.
My '81 camaro has a 350 bored .040 over, and a GM performance cam which is just a step above a stock grind. Anyway, I have been trying mid-grade gas, with no valve knock, but my fuel milage is horrible, like 8 mpg!
Again, the engine builders told me to stop trying to save money this way, and that ethanol is not good, especially for high performance engines, and stick with premium grade gas! I could be buying myself an expensive engine rebuild job.
Oh well, so much for tying to save a buck! Think I'll listen to the experts.

Anyway, there are alot of opinions on problems stemming form ethanol in the gas, and to take precautions when storing engines, and using higher grades of fuel.

See ya all.
Rick

Rick.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '88 GTA / '93 Z28
Engine: L98(350) / LT1 (350)
Transmission: 700R4 / 4L60E
Re: Problems With Ethanol

Startron for the win. =]