North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

East Coast Nats '03

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 04:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
East Coast Nats '03

hey gang,
i have been talking to soem people about teh event and seeing what direction everyone woudl lie to see things go in.
here is how things look right about now.
Date: august 23rd (have the opportunity to change it to august 16th, waiting to hear about autocross stuff before a decision is finalized. teh 16th woudl also put it a week before the trans am nats, so people coudl attend both)

Car Show: tentatively planned to have 1 class for each generatiopn just liek last year. spectator voted, noi division between stock and modified, your car just has to stand out. we already have some vendors and prize sponsors in mind to help develop a prize package and prize fund for the car show.
one thing we are exploring is a SHOW AND GO class. the idea is that you get 2 or 3 time shots on teh track. you earn points based on how your et compares to teh other competitors, then you go into a spectator judged show field. based on the voting teh car with teh best combined score wins. i need soem feedback on this one please!!!!

Drag Racing: we are plannign teh return of our bracket racing classes that we had last year. everything went smoothly and all classes were pretty well subscribed. all bracket classes are no electronics classes(no trans brakes, no 2-steps, no throttle stops) and are for street registered and insured, muffled vehicles.
the bracket classes are: True Radial: for regular street type radial tires, no racing tires allowed, Drag Radial: for racing designed tires of radial construction(bfg dr and dr kd, nitto's....you ge tthe idea), 6-Cyl: any f-body powered by 6 or fewer pistons on regular street type radial tires(6cyls with drag radials must compete in teh drag radial class), Slick: this class is for all vehicles equiped with bias ply type tires. full slicks as well as DOT approved bias drag tires will compete in this class.
Heads Up: this is a real sticking point for us. we saw hwo many peopel ran to teh bleachers to see our 1 pair of heads up cars last year, so we are trying to find a mroe wide open rules package to get more drivers interested. currently waht we have in mind is: must be through mufflers(e-town has a 95db rule), must have street legal runnign gear(functional head lights, horn, turn signals, brake lights), "full" interior(take out whatever you want as long as you can't really see it, back seats may be removed but area must be carpeted, no tin interiors), any amoutn of any 1 power adder as you want(multi stage nitrous or as much boost as you want, no combining of different types of power adders), run on a max 10.5 inch wide rear tire(as stated on tire sidewall), stock suspension or back halved ok(mini tubs ok, no tube frames), minimum weight, we aren't really sure yet. thinking around 2800 lbs, that woudl put it in between many of the outlaw classes adn many of the street classes, so more peopel shoudl be able to participate.

Autocross: right now the autocross looks 75% liekly to happen. that is pending final word from teh north jersey region of the SCCA. teh autocross will use the basic frame work of classes liek teh SCCA normally uses, we will eb "fudging" teh class rules a little to put cars in closer groups.

T-Shirts/Posters/Flyers: these are all being worked on currently. we are going after GM to see if they will allow us to use soem of their licensed logo's on teh shirts and posters. the basic flyer is pretty much done, just awaiting teh final classes and info to get it ready for the world.

Promotional and Advertising: this is where you guys all come in. we ahve foudn amny opportunities to get teh word out through teh print media, it is mostly small time stuff, but it will certainly help. what i woudl liek to ask of you all is that you keep teh word going on teh web. i am also looking fo rpeopel who may want to volunteer to be key contacts, the idea is that i cna send out an email to a small group of people and they can relay teh message to the web sites they visit, this will help me since i don't really have time to hit teh dozens of web sites concerning f-bodies all by myself. jsut send me a PM if you are interestre in volunteering.

Event Program Book: we are also kicking around the idea of putting together a small program book for teh event. nothing too outrageous, just soem intro information, pics from past events, and intro to drag racing adn autocross articles. possibly soem historic data on f-body's.

Video: we are looking into teh possibilty fo producing a video of this years event. we woudl liek to see caravan footage as well as footage from teh event. there are a good number of local bands that we can grab music from(soem of it not even that bad :P). there woudl be 2 versions of the video, one that is only a few minutes long that will be downloadable, and another that will be 45-60 mins long that will eb for sale(fund raiser for the '04 Nats). teh video woudl also be used as a promotional tool to help attract vendors and sponsors to future events.

Caravans: i hope that this year the event will have enough of a following that soem of you guys will be makign the trip as a part of a group. let me know where you are coming from and if you are plannign any stops, maybe we can put you intouch with other groups who are headed in teh same direction so you can really have a show of force on teh highway

that is about all for now guys, let me know what you think of everything we are looking at so far.

later
tim
Old 12-21-2002, 05:52 PM

i think we need an official event hotel/motel/inn for out-of-staters to stay in and we get to hang and party with all of them in one place with beer in one hand.

count me in the Promotion and Advertising job.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:01 PM
Supreme Member

good call on the hotel thing. i will look into what is local to the track.

later
tim
Old 12-24-2002, 10:09 PM

will there be a burnout contest?also i am willing to put up a flyer or two at my job(cartek)and will also post details on another forum(rallyfreak.com)
Old 12-25-2002, 09:40 AM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
how many people do u guesstimate will be there? im from marlborough, MA and id make the trip..we'll see..cool
Old 12-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

1sweet89rs, right now it looks liek we ae gonna be short on time and space for a burnout contest. we tried several different ways to do it and it just won't fit yet.
irocz88x, last year we had abotu 150 cars participate and about 300 people show up just to spectate. this year we ar going for 250 cars participating and at least teh same number of spectators.

thanks for the interest guys. we are working on teh hotel thing so that everyone who travels can stay together and flyers will be ready in early january once we have everything locked down.

thanks
tim
Old 12-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Supreme Member

just read my email, the hotel thing is gonna work out nicely. there are a few places that seem interested in helping us out and they are all literally within minutes of the track. i am gonna talk to the track officials after new years to find otu if they can get us any good deals as a group, on e-towns web site it lists the ramada as teh "official" hotel of raceway park, so i am gonan see how much they are willing to help us out. good call onixv6, thanks for the idea.
keep the ideas comin guys. every little thing that i may not have thought of yet will help.

later
tim
Old 01-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

DATE CHANGE!!!!!!!!!

hey gang,
very important info!!!! t3eh date change went through and we are gonan be runnin on august 16th, 2003. tha tis one week earlier than planned.
last years change hurt us a bit, but thi sone is very helpful. we will now be running the week before the trans am nationals instead fo teh same weekend. so anyone who was hoping to hit teh t/a nats and east coast nats can now.

please pass teh word.

later
tim
Old 01-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Supreme Member

sweet i cant wait till the 16th.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

please just go otu and let everyone know about teh date change. i am trying to get teh web site up and runnign so that we cna get the word out properly, i am hoping by the end of next week it will be running and correct.

later
tim
Old 01-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Supreme Member

Is there anything new to update us about the nationals yet or is it still the say as last time.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

sorry about the delay between updates, i have been a bit busy lately.
the latest is that i am goin to be calling a printing company in PA to talk to them about event programs and flyers for the show. i was put in touch with them through a member of this board and from teh sounds of it they are really cool people and will be willing to help wiht the project. the event program is going to be pretty simple, jsut soem ads(prize fund ), a few articles to help beginers for drag racing adn autocross, pics from previous years events and class winners, and whatever else we can come up with that woudl be interesting to read(maybe have a feature car or soemthing showing a past winners car in greater detail)
we are still awaiting final word on the autocross. i may actually take a drive to south jersey to talk to soem of the people who woudl be helping us with that tomorrow. so stay tuned on that one.
the web site is a slow process sinc emy self and the person who is actually putting it together for me are both very busy. it will be up soon, i really really promise(coudl be as soon as monday).
the track is treating us really well this year. i think they realized what happened last year and they are trying to make up for it a bit.
overall things are looking very good. we have some sources of advertising for free now, we have soem companies ready to advertise on teh web site which means more prize fund money, and we have soem very very good leads on getting teh car show to grow a bit this year.

later
tim
Old 01-28-2003, 11:33 PM

i'm about 95.5% sure that i'm going in the blue 86 IROC and if i do i'll be bringing a friend in a 91 silver convert Z28