North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

HELP importing Canadian car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP importing Canadian car

I have a couple other threads going on the Canadian boards. The reason I'm asking here is to see if anyone has dealt with US Customs at the Niagara area border. I am in Ohio, but just bought a 1982 Trans Am from an individual in Toronto. The car was built in the US in April 1982, for Canadian use and has been up there under 1 owner all its life. It has just over 21K US miles, and is immaculate. This is just the start of why I am going through so much trouble for a car.

I have had everything cleared for the car to be brought home except that Pontiac has told me that the car does not meet EPA standards (it meets DOT, and HAS passed all emissions tests in Canada with no problem). From what others have begun to tell me, I understand that there could be several things different with the Canadian bound cars, such as less emissions controls, no air pumps, sensors, etc. Now, without spending a fortune for a ICI (commercial importer) to install what they feel is necessary for it to meet standards, my options right now are these: Hope that the car is indeed EXEMPT from EPA requirements according to CODE E on the EPA form (which will mean waiting until April of next year when the car is 22 years old and meets that), or wait until 2007 to bring it home when the EPA document is no longer required (out of the question).

Any suggestions? Some have said I could drive it home and since I'm not going to drive it this winter anyways, just wait til spring to have the parts put on here so I can get it inspected and plated. Others have said they have TAKEN these items off their cars so they get more horsepower......but that would make their cars fall short of EPA standards right? So what do I do? I'm not up for illegally bringing my car home (it currently is temp. tagged and insured in my name.....I am now the sole owner of the vehicle). I also don't want to keep paying on a car that I can't drive yet. > And through all the research I did, not once did anyone say that I should check the VIN# to see if it complies with EPA standards.....even the idiots at customs looked at me like I'm not old enough to even drive. I got no help from them when I tried to bring it home last week......is there a way to treat this as something other than an import so I dont have to go through all the red tape?

Last edited by LoneCrusader; 10-07-2003 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the EPA today, the car is exempt thanks to it being 21 years old. that saves a huge headache.

Delete thread at will, commander!