North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Any interest in a CT thirdgen meet

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 PM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi
Re: Any interest in a CT thirdgen meet

you'll like the ws6 bars, i have them on mine, 36mm hollow front with the 24mm rear
Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11

I have those on my Z28 too. They are great. Mine might be 1mm smaller in the rear. I got lucky and had them on my car stock. Not bad.

I installed my heater last night. Not a prefomance mod I know, but I think it is cool since none of teh controls can be seen, and non of the heater box can be seen either. The only reason it is obvious that the car has heat now is the heater hoses. Anyways, Just picked up a permastart coated air-gap off ebay for $50 less than summit. Its new too! Can't wait to get it. As for the cam that I am trying to work on. I am working with my dyno guy to find a good one. I am going to have them put it in and get a dyno pull on it with the new intake. See what she makes. Maybe in a couple weeks. Only hold up for not getting it all done next week or something is still not knowing what friggin' cam to get!!!

----------------------------------------------------

As for NECF, what is the deal with the website?

Who knows how to make one or knows someone who can, for free or minimal payment. haha.

AC, I guess over the winter we can slowly come up with all the by-laws that we think are appropriate. And then post them here and get some feedback.

Logos: What happened to all the ideas people had? I want to see more. I myself can't do that kinda think. I dont have the software or much skill at it, but if you guys do, start belting out the good, bad and the ugly so we can get the creative juices flowing!
Old 10-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2933923

What's up guys, wanted to introduce myself, Ive been a member of thirdgen for a while but never post. I'm right over in Glastonbury. Havn't driven my project since prob 02'. Don't get much opprtnty to work on it. It is running but still more to do.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Auto
Axle/Gears: 1 legger 2.xx(needs upgrade)

welcome aboard! pm ac your info if you want to join. looks like a nice build! can't wait to meet you and see the car. good luck
Old 10-26-2007, 07:24 PM
AC
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Used to drive a camaro

blwnfirechkn....damn man. Good to have another forced induction in the ranks. Nice build. I hear you on the neighbors and headers issue. I'm running into the same thing. My neighbors just don't appreciate long tubes and glass packs the same way I do Drop me or Dennisbernal91Z your info if you'd like to learn more about the club we're trying to form. At the very least get ahold of me so I can put you in touch with the rest of the crew who work on each others cars and we'll try and help you if you need it to get that beast of yours crusing the streets with us.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 PM

well i got an ac delete box off ebay for 70$ shipped. and he said hes going to sand blast it and repaint it before its shipped just minor rust spots no rust holes. =D Wonder how hard that will be to install.. shouldnt be to bad right? and tomorrow hopefully it doesnt rain so i can install my sway bars!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 IROC / 1986 SC
Engine: 305 TPI / 2.8 MFI
Transmission: 700R4's
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Posi / 3.42 Open

Tom, I just did my delete box a couple months ago. This is a very simple job that really opens up your engine bay. I would be glad to help out sometime. Took me about an hour screwing around most of the time. Easy project. Let me know if you want some help. I just bought a new set of headers and a Y pipe so I have a project coming up also! I wonder how much driving time we have left.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:19 PM

if its easy then hopefully i dont need help.. not sure when ill get it gotta send the guy a money order.. so who knows.. and driving time? could have up to 3 months if it was like last year!
Old 10-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Car: '86 Camaro SC

blwnfirechicken: Damn man, love the car. Where about in Glastonbury are you. A few of my buddies live in Glastonbury, so i'm always down that way.

AC: What info do you want PM'd to you for the club?

And good news guys, got my paycheck Thursday, parts are on the way from Summit. I'm hoping it'll be on the road by next weekend or sometime very soon. Then meeting emissions should be easy. I leaned the car out in the summer and fiddled with the timing to try to get it to pass, but it would overheat on the emissions dyno. Now with the nice cool weather I should be able to pass. I'm pretty psyched.

Plus with the me have a relatively care-free life (living at home, out of highschool, and going to college next year), a lot of money and time is gonna be dumped into the car over the winter.

Last edited by '86 350; 10-28-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:27 PM
AC
Supreme Member

'86 350, OH what it would be like to be young again PM Dennis or I TGO Username, email, town,st, quick stats on car.

BTW, here's the video from today http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...urrent=CAR.flv. I brought my 2 boys down the road. VERY interesting ride. I stalled it taking off out of my driveway...gimme a break, I haven't driven a standard in like 6 years! Then, 5 minutes into the ride my clutch cylinder pushrod disconnected from my clutch pedal...I'm putting the c-clip on it today! SO, I took about a 10 minute ride total. What was fun is that in 1st,2nd,3rd without even trying to rev'ing high the *** end wanted to come around and say hello. There definetly is a huge set of ***** under the hood.
I'll probably bring it out one more time before the end of the year to get a good datalog then garage it to do my self fab'd tranny xmember and torque arm xmember along with my new exhaust. Then I'll be set to go for the spring.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:08 PM

first off congrants ac! and good luck with another run with a good data log.
second i did the front sway bar didnt have time for the rear had a family thing to go to and the front sway bar did make quite the difference. but i do have a problem..

car runs funny at times... i think my timing is off or something.. ac remember when you asked me if i hit the thing in the center of the distributor... i dont think i did but somethings not right... when i first start the car itl drive great! but then after a little bit... not long itl start to bog out and run funny. Ill go to step on it or even just try and drive a bit faster and it wants to die. Then if i pull over shut it off and turn it on itl run fine again for a little then start doing it all over again. im going to look through my manual to figure out how to do the timing and my dad said he would help me with it so we will see. just figured id ask and make sure it seems like it could be that.

Last edited by tourville; 10-28-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Jay
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 5.7 RamJet
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Dana44 4.10

AC - nice feeling finally getting to drive the beast isn't it? Congrats.

Tourville - try and do some datalogging and see what's going on when the car starts running badly. That might point you in the right direction.
As for timing, it's pretty easy. You need to find the timing connector and dissconect it, then attach the light to the number 1 spark plug wire, and shine the light at the timing marks to see where it is. 6 BTDC is stock. To change it, you loosen the hold down on the distributor and then rotate it depending which way you need to go.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Supreme Member

Well a lot of posts since last Friday, haha. Sounds like we picked up another member! Right on.

I decided to be crazy today and drive the car to work. A nice 27* out and I fired up the 386 and drove to work. Took a bit to heat up and idle, but she is fine. Man I beat this car up. haha. But thats what they are for right

Anyways, good to hear you are on the road a little with your car. Mine will be going under the wrench soon to get a new cam and intake. Finally going to be shooting for the 400 RWHP mark and making it. Then dynoing the 200 shot.

As things stand right now, when I get out of school I am adding turbos to this thing. Crazy.

tourville: Sounds like you car is bogging out. Like too lean but I dunno. If it was a carb I could help, but i have no idea what to do when you have a computer in there. Maybe your pump is dying and can't keep up with the flow demand of the motor? Bad filter? I dunno.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 PM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi

tom, try upping the fuel pressure a little to say 46#s and see what happens
Old 10-29-2007, 09:41 PM

Car: 90 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 one wheel peel

damn ur guys group is coming right along. Congrats! I never thought after we had that first meet in the rain, that it would go so far!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:42 PM

which way do i turn the afpr ? clockwise or counter? lol =D
Old 10-30-2007, 01:13 AM

Car: 1984 Firebird T/A
Engine: 406sbc
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"

Well I figured out what my electrical problem was with the help of my buddy. Neutral safety switch decided to crap the bed on me while trying to start the car. Got it to run tonight without even giving it gas. I know it needs to be tuned and timed better but damn this thing idles rough, wait till I get the BIG BOY cam in too!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:58 AM
AC
Supreme Member

Tourville, pull the vacuum off the back of the apfr, hook up your guage to the fuel rail and then turn the afpr clockwise to richen (increase fuel pressure) or counterclockwise to lean (decrease fuel pressure). Once your set reconnect the vacuum line.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

AC, you make the new thread? Also what happened with the GFX ideas? I may have to whip out the old pencil and paper and start brain storming here. Then maybe scan it and post.

I would like to move all this discussion to a thread labeled with the club name, so other can find it easier.

AC can you have the title of this thread changed to one of the names we talked about?

That way it already has the hits and post #s that will let people know that it is a popular thread.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 AM
AC
Supreme Member

I've sent out 3 or so GFX ideas that I had....I was hoping that'd spark some others to submit as well. I'll work on some more this week and send them out. Let me PM the moderators and ask if they can change the title. In general nobody can change / edit titles.
Dennis, how are you with your exhaust / xmember clearance?? I'm starting to finalize and start fabbing my 2 xmembers (1 for tranny and 1 for torque arm).
Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

Honestly with it being so cold out and thinking about the intake and cam stuff I am doing. I have not even thought about it.

Right now I am passing 2 3" pipes under/around the spohn piece. It usually doesn't hit the ground anymore, just cuz the pipes have ovaled out from being hit so much. The problem is that they also hit the body and make vibration since the pipes in other parts are pushed up against the body.

I was thinking that over the winter, I will jack stand the car and get under there too see what I can do. If you can fab something AC, that would be neat to see, but as of right now I need to drive the car way to much to be removing big stuff like that. Like I said this is my DD, haha. Since I have heat now, I can drive it better in the mornings when it is below freezing.

With that said, I would love to get a better design x-member. The TQ arm itself is a great piece, but where it attaches is just way too big. I am thinking of just cutting the crap out of the 2 slated pieces of metal and replacing the tubing there with oval. Or buy round and smash it. haha. Then gusset the x-member by where I notched it.

That way i don't have to do a lot of measuring and so on that would take me much longer.

Either way, show me any ideas that you have, cuz I am very interested.

As for the GFX ideas.... C'mon people!!!! No ideas???!!???

I am at work now, but I will try and come up with a couple.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

hopefully your still there... do i increase it when the cars running or when the cars off yeah im a noob

well i figured what better way.. just make the fuel pump run all the time and do it.

okay i did it took it for a short ride.. and will go for a further ride tonight to test it... but my tach is now all over the place... like really crazy and both cooling fans had turned on and the car wasnt even fully warmed up yet!.. bringing the laptop and taking a data record to look over it.

Last edited by tourville; 10-30-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:49 PM

Car: 1984 RPO "Y84" Recaro T/A
Engine: HO 305ci L69
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: WS6, J65, GT4: 3:73, G80: posi

blwnfirechicken: Welcome to NECF! Sounds like your neighbors need to move out! That's the kind of place where I'd like to live: open headers, glasspacks & chambered exhaust, turbo & supecharger whine, and every neighbor doing their part to cut road repair taxes by rubberizing their streets
-
AC: Awesome! Just watched your video. I think you were right when you said that I hadn't seen yours yet! LOL. I love that growl she's got! That'd make a great Halloween scare for unsuspecting Trick or Treaters! Thanks for asking the Mod. for our own sub forum too!
-
ALL: I've gotta do a lot of work on my 'Bird this winter. I've decided to put on subframes because I have to do the exhaust anyway. What do you recommend? Seems like most of you have Spohn's. I am also going to put on a 3" exhaust. What's the best options? I don't want to buy headers just yet because I will be building my SBC 400 sooner or later. Probably later, LOL! I have to pass emissions and decided against having a "friend" during inspection. I don't wanna waste the $$ on smaller 5/8" dia. ones for the stock 305 and large 3/4" dia. ones will be overkill. I think I'll just cut up the stock Y-pipe and weld on an adapter for the 3" cat. until I build that 400. I think that the stock manifolds and wimpy Y-pipe should keep the balance. Is this thought just dumb or am I right in thinking a stock 305 with 3/4" headers is way more outflow than the LG4 305 could ever dream about and will likely cause the valves to slap the pistons due to zero backpressure? I don't want to build the 305, its destined for the "Engine for Sale" section
-
Thanks , AL

Last edited by Brother Al; 10-30-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Car: 1992 camaro Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700 r4

Originally Posted by Brother Al
-ALL: I've gotta do a lot of work on my 'Bird this winter. I've decided to put on subframes because I have to do the exhaust anyway. What do you recommend? Seems like most of you have Spohn's. I am also going to put on a 3" exhaust. What's the best options? I don't want to buy headers just yet because I will be building my SBC 400 sooner or later. Probably later, LOL! I have to pass emissions and decided against having a "friend" during inspection. I don't wanna waste the $$ on smaller 5/8" dia. ones for the stock 305 and large 3/4" dia. ones will be overkill. I think I'll just cut up the stock Y-pipe and weld on an adapter for the 3" cat. until I build that 400. I think that the stock manifolds and wimpy Y-pipe should keep the balance. Is this thought just dumb or am I right in thinking a stock 305 with 3/4" headers is way more outflow than the LG4 305 could ever dream about and will likely cause the valves to slap the pistons due to zero backpressure? I don't want to build the 305, its destined for the "Engine for Sale" section
-
Thanks , AL
hey man, its kinda ironic because i have kinda exactly what you are looking for. it sorta a long story, but back when i had my first third gen i went out and bought a full 3 inch exhaust with chrome tips a flowmaster muffler and a high flow cat. i also did not want to invest in headers and i wanted to be able to pas emmissions legally. so the used pipes i bought could bolt right up to the stack manifolds... well i sold the car and i dug the exhaust pipes up this ast summerwith the intent of putting them on however since i dont have a garage or anywhere to wrench on the car i had to take it to an exhaust shop. i got quoted way to much to put the whole thing on and all i put on was the flowmaster muffler and the chrome tips. the middle pipe ended up being too rusty to use, but i still have the front pipe with a 3 inch high flow cat.

now just some precautions before you start. u will probably have to eiter find a clean set of manifolds or put in new studs. you will also have to recconnect the high pressure line to the catalytic converter

anyways i still have the y pipe. i doubt i have any pictures on my comp here in hartford, because it is in my grandma's basement. if you want it any time this winter let me know. id assume its the still in the basement where i left it. if u want it let me know.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 PM

HMMM, YUP!!!
Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Supreme Member

Ok guys... Well I am signing off this thread and heading over to the new NECF one that AC made. See you guys over there!
Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM

We've Moved!
North East Region "NECF Club Members / bystanders Inside"

Last edited by Brother Al; 11-01-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: V6

Bring this Back to life! we should plan a meeting again in CT.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Car: 89 Camaro/ 02 GC Overland
Engine: 355 V8/ 4.7 HO V8
Transmission: T5/ 545RE
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73/ Dana 30, Dana 44 3.73

Holy wow. I started this forever ago. Go to necamaro-firebird.org

Last edited by camaro430sut; 09-16-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:43 PM

Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Wow havent posted here in years so odd reading the posts from 5 years ago lol
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 PM

Car: 89 Camaro/ 02 GC Overland
Engine: 355 V8/ 4.7 HO V8
Transmission: T5/ 545RE
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73/ Dana 30, Dana 44 3.73

I still can't believe NECF spawned from this thread and that it's been 5 years
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM

Hey everyone, got a third gen after about 25 years but not new to Trans Ams. I have a 79 solar gold 4 speed t-top Trans Am but just purchased a third gen to keep it company.
The purchase is this beautiful 87 GTA 1 of 372 Dark Russet Metallic cars built. I am located in Branford and if people hook up somewhere I would try to get there.
Here is a few pics of the new ride
Attached Thumbnails Any interest in a CT thirdgen meet-gta-4.jpg   Any interest in a CT thirdgen meet-gta-18.jpg   Any interest in a CT thirdgen meet-gta-20.jpg