North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Camaros At Carlisle is no more! :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
Camaros At Carlisle is no more! :(

For years now, the GM Nationals has hosted the Camaro Nationals, and has become known as Camaros at Carlisle. Starting in 2011, the Camaro Nationals will no longer be at the GM Nats, and will instead be held the same weekend in Frederick MD. It will now be run by the Maryland Camaro Club.

More information here:
http://www.mdcamaroclub.com/image/Ca...0Nationals.doc

Hello Fellow Camaro Enthusiasts:

The Maryland Camaro Club would like to welcome all our fellow Camaro owners to the 13th Annual Camaro Nationals June 23 - 25, 2011.

As you are aware the American Camaro Association has chosen not to put on the Nationals and the M.C.C. (which has been the host club for the last 6 years) was asked by the A.C.A. to put on the Nationals. A.C.A. had a signed yearly exclusive agreement with Carlisle Productions which will not be renewed.

The American Camaro Association will serve as advisors and consultants to the Maryland Camaro Club and will be at the 2011 show.

M.C.C. will be presenting the Camaro Nationals at the Frederick Fairgrounds in Frederick, MD. The host hotel will be the Holiday Inn in Frederick about 4 miles from the show field. Frederick is located off I-70 and Route 15. Frederick is located in a very historic area with many National Historic sites easily within reach. Many Civil War Battlefields including Gettysburg as well as Washington D.C. and Baltimore are nearby. More information will be available in the near future.

Everything will be in place just as it has been the previous twelve years. All 51 classes will still be offered from Non-Judged through Concours classes. All the judges that you have known and seen in the past will be there to judge classes in 2011.

Let me reassure you that the only things that have changed are the club presenting the Camaro Nationals and the location. Nothing else will change, which is the number one goal of the show – to be the same show you have all known, enjoyed and attended over the years.

I’m sure many of you have questions and concerns: feel free to contact Bud Scolastico in the evenings at 610-921-3721 or email Bud at buds396@yahoo.com.

We look forward to seeing everyone in June and having another great show.

Best regards,

April Alderson
President of the Maryland Camaro Club
Old 11-03-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro vert
Engine: ls1 soon
Transmission: t56 soon
Axle/Gears: moser 12bolt 4.10 soon!
Re: Camaros At Carlisle is no more! :(

wow that sucks i go to gm nats every year.. for the past 5 years..
Old 11-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: too many
Engine: SBC
Transmission: AUTOs and a 5 speed :D
Axle/Gears: you name it

Frederick and Carlise aren't that far apart (about the same distance for me.)
I enjoyed the part hunting at Carlise.
Wonder why the move.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 AM
TGO Supporter

The move seems to be due to the fact that Carlisle wants control of the Camaro Nats, but the group that runs it doesn't want that to happen, so they aren't renewing the contract with Carlisle. They're taking it to MD instead. Sadly, I expect this to more or less spell the end for the GM Nats unless the Carlisle folks can pull a rabbit out of their hat. Every year non-camaro attendance has continued to decline, as has the swap meet. Last year there were 700 Camaros and only 300 non-Camaros.

I just hope that the Camaro Nats can stay successful on it's own. For all the drawbacks that there may be having them as part of the GM Nats, I think overall it was a bigger drawing card than either of the two can do individually. I know personally, I'm going to miss the variety of other vehicles, as well as the numerous other "events" that went on at the GM Nats, like guest speakers, special cars, etc.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:23 AM

Car: too many
Engine: SBC
Transmission: AUTOs and a 5 speed :D
Axle/Gears: you name it

couldn't agree with you more.
I was always a fan of the swap meet and having a big camaro turnout.
The crowd will be split between the 2 events which isn't good.
Will there be a swap meet at Frederick's event?
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Car: 1987 Monte Carlo SS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 200R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
The move seems to be due to the fact that Carlisle wants control of the Camaro Nats, but the group that runs it doesn't want that to happen, so they aren't renewing the contract with Carlisle. They're taking it to MD instead. Sadly, I expect this to more or less spell the end for the GM Nats unless the Carlisle folks can pull a rabbit out of their hat. Every year non-camaro attendance has continued to decline, as has the swap meet. Last year there were 700 Camaros and only 300 non-Camaros.

I just hope that the Camaro Nats can stay successful on it's own. For all the drawbacks that there may be having them as part of the GM Nats, I think overall it was a bigger drawing card than either of the two can do individually. I know personally, I'm going to miss the variety of other vehicles, as well as the numerous other "events" that went on at the GM Nats, like guest speakers, special cars, etc.
I've been going to Carlisle for well over 20 years and the GM nats without the Camaro's would be just a cruise in.
After 05 there has been a steady decline in modified GM cars of any year and a new tuner type crowd is emerging with GTO's of all things and other vehicles.
It was one show at Carlisle that if I missed it, I didn't miss much other than the Camaro's in which I don;t own one anymore, but would like to get one again.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM

If it wasn't for the Camaros at Carlisle this year, the place would have been empty. 50% of them were 2010s. It was the worst turnout for the GM, or any show for that matter, I've seen yet.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't post on here much but let me assure you being a member of the Maryland Camaro Club and previous president of the Mid-Atlantic Camaro Club(VA). The whole club is doing its best to make the Fredrick Show just as good as carlisle has been. If anyone has any suggestions the club would be happy to hear them so feel free to send them an email to the site. And by the way carlisle management has been a pain for years thats why the split
Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm the current president of the MD Camaro Club. We are trying to get some of the initial logistics nailed down, but as soon as we have more details, I will post them here so everyone will know.

We are hoping to have a swap meet area at Frederick and have already received inquiries from vendors for spaces. Same with the larger/vendors and sponsors.

We are looking to bring you the same quality show you have come to expect from the Camaro Nationals. The ACA is supporting us with their experience and talents in putting on a successful and ever improving show for the last twelve years.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:59 PM

Car: 96 GMC, 82 camaro 69 camaro
Engine: 6.5L Turbo, 406, 406
Transmission: 4L80E, th350, powerglide
Axle/Gears: 3.73 / 3.70 /4.56

Wow I miss one GM Nationals and this is what they do! I guess its my fault

Well all that to subscribe to the thread.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
TGO Supporter

Originally Posted by 4Camaros
I'm the current president of the MD Camaro Club. We are trying to get some of the initial logistics nailed down, but as soon as we have more details, I will post them here so everyone will know.

We are hoping to have a swap meet area at Frederick and have already received inquiries from vendors for spaces. Same with the larger/vendors and sponsors.

We are looking to bring you the same quality show you have come to expect from the Camaro Nationals. The ACA is supporting us with their experience and talents in putting on a successful and ever improving show for the last twelve years.
I have a lot of confidence that as long as the Camaro Nationals are well promoted & marketed that the show will be a huge success. I'm just personally disappointed because part of the appeal of Carlisle to me was the variety that all of the other GM vehicles brought. That said, the GM Nationals as a whole continued to deteriorate every year, so pulling the Camaro Nationals off that sinking ship was probably a good idea regardless... but that doesn't make me miss "what used to be" any less.

With the unreal popularity of the new Camaro at last year's show, I think that this year really offers the best possibility for success as it's own entity. There is a lot of momentum associated with the show that can allow it to not only continue to be something great, but to become even better. I think a lot of the success hinges on the ability to get support from GM and other manufacturers. Considering that last year's Manufacturer's Midway was 95% 2010 Camaro stuff, I think that there's a good chance of these manufacturers sticking with the Camaro Nats and not the GM Nationals.

One thing I wonder though... is if it wouldn't be beneficial to at least expand it to the "f-body nationals"? It seems like a shame to exclude Firebirds from the fun.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 11-08-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 AM

We have had inquiries from several Firebird owners if they can come out to join in the fun.

YES! We won't have judged classes, but you are welcome to bring your car, enter in the non-judged class and park on the show field.

It just seemed a natural extension of the Camaro Nationals - no reason to exclude our fellow F-body owners from the fun!