North East Region Regional Board for the North East. Topics like local car shows, cruise nights, good mechanics, machine shops, and so on.

Englishtown Raceway park ends all drag racing events

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI (Deleted Cats)
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Original 3.27
Englishtown Raceway park ends all drag racing events

For all of you who have not been informed, Englishtown raceway park in New Jersey recently announced that they will be closing their drag strip and doing business “Reorganizing”. As a result of this a petition has been made to help bring it back.

Wherever you are and whoever you are, it would be greatly appreciated if you signed this weather you have been to the track or not.

Many of us that live close to the track are stunned and upset about the Napp’s decision to do this. I will link the petition as well as the official announcement stating this below, Thank you.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Englishtown Raceway park ends all drag racing events

Good job, it's going to be one hell of a fight...

- Rob
Old 01-20-2018, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 TA, 00 Z28
Engine: L31 Build in Progress
Transmission: NWC T5 till it blows

well that about sucks. not many places to go as it is.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

I grew up in Randolph, and while I wasn't a huge car guy back in those days, I do remember going to a few events there.

That being said, it doesn't sound like they were really forced to do this. Sounds like it was just a business decision. Private entity, business decison, nothing really to fight over. ....I mean by all means, put together the petition, but if they've simply decided to stop....not a lot you can do. When I read the title of the thread, though it doesn't say, I inferred they were somehow forced into doing this.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM
Supreme Member

They were forced. The park is open, they only eliminated the drag racing portion. The residents in that area were trying to eliminate the noise issue for decades, Raceway Park's drag strip used to be open Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, as well as Saturday and Sunday. The battle ensued, and they trimmed it down to Wednesday and Friday nights, as well as Saturday and Sunday. Battled continued, and they trimmed it down to Wednesday night, Saturday and Sunday. Then they suddenly brought back Friday night in the form of "Ratchet Friday's" years later because there was a vested interest, and the place was mobbed, absolutely mobbed. Residents started to really kick it into gear this time because the noise and traffic level was insane. New Democratic Governor enters into the scene, and the drag strip is eliminated entirely days later. It wasn't a business decision per se, the Napp's had to do what was best for them to make money on the land, but they never really wanted to take away the drag strip, They didn't need to from a money perspective. They had to do something though. Either way, New York (Long Island) might be bringing back racing this year, and if they do, it will be bigger than Raceway Park ever was. We're just hoping it goes through...

- Rob
Old 01-24-2018, 08:07 AM
Supreme Member

Let me just show you guys something, for the guys who haven't been there for awhile. At one point, Raceway Park was just a test and tune night on Wednesday and Friday nights,, and on the weekends some of the bigger names would come down and race. This is how it has been for years, with the occasional big NHRA showing, Domestic vs Import events, as well as swap meets. This is what the track was fighting the state for all this time. Now, suddenly, "Ratchet Friday's" enter into the scene which was MOBBED at every event, and they were getting more and more frequent. This brought in the next generations in racing big time. This was last year at what was called "Fast Fest", I remember this well. Old Bridge traffic was at a stand still. Trust me, it was not a business decision to make money, the Napp's would have cleaned up big time if they kept the dragstrip open and allowed for these events to blossom into every weekend. I can't even begin to tell you how packed it was with racers from the surrounding states, especially on Ratchet Friday's...

- Rob

Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: Hot 355ci
Transmission: Beefed TH350
Axle/Gears: 4:10

Unless somebody else buys the track entirely, it's doubtful it'll open again.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

The residents in that area were trying to eliminate the noise issue for decades,
Gotcha. That's too bad.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 280 Likes on 218 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: 406 on N20 w/ EFI
Transmission: P.B. 700R4
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt w/ 3.91

streetlethal is absolutely 100% correct in all he said

so sad this is happening. i have so many memories there since i first went at the age of 4. I live close to island dragway in northern NJ, but Englishtown is/was legendary. very sad about this