Northern California Discussion board for Northern and Central California.

I just feel stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 IROC 5.7 Money Pit
Engine: (being built; modified TPI ZZ4
Transmission: 2200 stall/ stage 3 700R4
Axle/Gears: freshened 3.27 in 9.bolt/
I just feel stuck

All I need to do to my IROC to put it on the road is install the new engine and fix the factory speedometer. I've completely gone thru everything else, replacing every part I could upgrade with Spohn or other custom high-end parts, replaced all the T-Top rubbers and had someone build me a new 700 tranny that'll withstand the hard banging shifts.

I started running out of money by the time I got to the engine (house remodeling time and an angry wife upset about the cost over runs), so I had a builder make me a ZZ4 motor with lots of lightened parts & all the hogged out intake parts from Mike's Corvettes. What I ended up with is a quick 7,000 rpm revving 9.4 compression engine. I even went so far as to grind all the block areas I could reach smooth so It'll shine when I paint it.

Then the problem arose....

Someone made me a hella deal on a super charger that I just couldn't pass up. 5 years later with a divorce in the works, I can put my very stock looking approx. 350tq-350hp engine in; or I can take the block apart and install the correct crank and piston assemblies to withstand the autocross and dragracing use the effects that a blower will make on this engine.

Or, do I go all out and find out what it would cost to use as much aluminum and titanium as possible for a lightning quick revving motor? Unfortunately our TPI engines can rev as quickly and as high as a NASA Challenger Moon Rocket, but there's only so much air that'll legally go thru our California camshaft restricted engines.

Don't you hate 'doing the right thing' and going through the 'delayed gratification crap'????????? Nitro-Nicky
Old 12-12-2014, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: I just feel stuck

Because of the restrictions of the TPI setup even with everything ported to the max, you will need the blower for the extra cfm it can push into the engine to get the higher RPMs. But you will need a custom cam for the supercharger to really take full advantage.

Personally, I will eventually be running a ProCharger F1. The P1SC and D1SC are the only "CA" legal ones I believe and even those you must install the FMU. I plan on a dummy FMU for visual inspection and buying a tag from a P1SC to put on my F1 head unit so it has all the right C.A.R.B. stuff. Long as the engine is tuned right and not crazy, it should pass no problem.

The lure of a fast high revving NA engine is awesome, but it will just never happen with a TPI design intake.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:25 AM
Supreme Member

The blower system I picked up, is a gently treated "PAXTON" unit. The house I bought is on the outskirts of town of Santa Rosa and is called: Forestville. This is a Smog exempt area and made it a double win purchase. In addition to that; it also came with an extra large 3 car garage with room to install a huge upper storage loft.

I got really lucky finding it in the foreclosure section of the paper one day. With lots of hard work, it's gone up allegedly $500k so that would pay for the new engine, better seats. And without a wife about; I could actually park the ;damn thing in the front living room! Now there's something one doesn't see very often: skid marks going out the front door!!!! Yippie Kiy Mama Lamma!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Of course that depends on who gets to keep the house. I was thinking I was going to be able to 'cheat a little' with the camshaft' by living in a smog free area, but if I have to move into town I'll need to go back to a perfectly smog legal engine which is sooooooooooo boring these days!

Does anyone know if there's an aluminum L98 block that can be used for the base of an TPI engine rebuild? I've tried to do a search but the Winter storms coming thru the woods keeps nocking my power out every hour or so all week long. Nitro-Nicky
Old 12-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.89

I built my engine to be N/A... but then I found a deal on a procharger! If you tune is good, I think you will be fine! That is my plan at least.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neagan
The blower system I picked up, is a gently treated "PAXTON" unit. The house I bought is on the outskirts of town of Santa Rosa and is called: Forestville. This is a Smog exempt area and made it a double win purchase. In addition to that; it also came with an extra large 3 car garage with room to install a huge upper storage loft.

I got really lucky finding it in the foreclosure section of the paper one day. With lots of hard work, it's gone up allegedly $500k so that would pay for the new engine, better seats. And without a wife about; I could actually park the ;damn thing in the front living room! Now there's something one doesn't see very often: skid marks going out the front door!!!! Yippie Kiy Mama Lamma!
You're going to pull money out of your house to finish your car?