Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

embarrassed to ask this,

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
embarrassed to ask this,

how do I get my 92 rs all stock to hook up and not spin the tire off the line,
I'm 16 and planning on doing a little bracket racing at my local track,atlanta motor speedway.
but I've noticed from a dead stop at the top of my neighborhood, I can't just stomp the gas and go, the wheels spin,

my dad said doing the little burnout right before the drag race would warm the tires and minimize tire spin, is it that simple?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11
Re: embarrassed to ask this,

one wheel spins or both? if only one then locate a posi rear end locally and swap them out. Also a stickier set of tires would help, as will not just aimlessly flooring the car and rolling into the throttle.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM

thanks for the help. it's only the right rear, and yeah I figured stickier tires would help but I don't have the money right now, it's a DD and i'm just planning on racing a little on friday nights, it's a relaxed atmosphere lot's of cool people only a few cars are drag racing built most are DD's havin a little fun.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: SLOW carbed ls
Transmission: TH400 with brake, 8" PTC converter
Axle/Gears: moser 9" 4.11

definitely go buy a posi rear then and it'll help your launch out more than any other mod.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your dad is right, doing a quick spin right before you pull into the beams will help. For right now, if the track is prepped, you will be able to launch harder than you would on the street but will still need to roll into the throttle. When you can afford it do a posi swap (you can probably do a used one cheap) and then invest in a cheap set of 15" rims and some sticky tires. Once you are at the track for a while, you will get to know people and help you out. You will be able to find guys that will sell you their old tires pretty cheap or maybe even give them to you. With you car being fairly stock, even old drag radials will help you hook. Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Learning to control your foot on the gas pedal is the biggest improvement you can do, although not the easiest.

The "easiest" way is a posi & sticky tires.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 368 Likes on 297 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

tire will help and so will posi. Alittle burnout will help get the water from the burnout box off the tires if you cant go around it.

i got a 99 trans am ls1 that was bone stock and it would not spin tire from a dead stop with 2.73 gears, 275 size 17'' street tires, and stock converter/auto. The tires are decent sticky tires and pretty wide, and the posi helps alot.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:31 PM

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Lots of good advice given here. As already stated, you'll find it easier to hook up at the track as the surface will be stickier. I suffered through much one wheel peel in my time and you just have to learn to work the throttle, only letting yourself punch it to say, half throttle until it gets rolling then flooring it is a place to start. Everyone on street night likes to get in the water box and do a smoking burnout because it looks cool to their friends but it actually makes traction worse if you're on street tires. If you can, drive AROUND the box, then do a little burn out to clean the tires off before you stage. I run slicks and I still drive around the box and then back in to keep water out of the tread on the front tires. The last thing I can tell you is to be prepared, you're about to take your first hit on the racing crack pipe. This stuff is extremely addicting

Dan
Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

The majority of the time, the track is sticky but depending on the track conditions, street tires can still have traction issues. Some cars can hook up better on the street than they can on the track.

#1, get a posi in the diff. Having 2 wheels trying to push the car is a big improvement even with poor tires.

#2, get a second set of rims and have some slicks mounted on them just for the track. Using slicks on the street including any of the DOT slicks just wears them out quicker. The DOT slicks are not designed for street use. They just have a DOT rating for classes that demand a street (DOT) tire.

Dry hops are never really required. Don't even think about going into the waterbox to do a burnout with street tires. A street tire is designed to not heat up so all you're doing is wearing off the rubber and making the tire slippery. The street tire tread also picks up water which will drip onto the starting line. Drive around the water to the inside if possible. They sweep the dirt and rubber to the outside and you don't want to drive through that. If you have to, just do a short dry hop to remove any bit of water or rocks from the tires.

If you do use slicks, which are designed to get hot and sticky from a burnout, use the water box. Dry burnouts are very hard on tires. You want wheel speed in the water box. Shift into high gear as quickly as possible to get that wheel speed.

Once you get the posi and sticky tires, you can work on upgrading the suspension to help get the power to the ground.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 PM

thanks for all the help guys, I'll try to resist the urge to get in the water box my first night out. and I think I'm gonna hold out on the posi rear for now, I'm not looking to win a bunch of races and being that I'm 16 all my money goes to the cars interior so it looks good for dates lol. I'm just gonna roll into the throttle a little easier,and have some fun.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Car: camaro sportcoupe
Engine: 7.0L
Transmission: G-Force GF5R
Axle/Gears: Moser 9"

Originally Posted by Duke!
I'm 16 all my money goes to the cars interior so it looks good for dates lol. I'm just gonna roll into the throttle a little easier,and have some fun.
spend $50 on a good vacuum cleaner and keep that interior as stock as possible and as clean as possible. trust me, the girls who are impressed by a clean stock interior are far superior in quality than the ones impressed by neon lights or fancy seats

spend that money on making it go fast now, the available money when you get out of school and move out of the house goes out the window
Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

spend $50 on a good vacuum cleaner and keep that interior as stock as possible and as clean as possible. trust me, the girls who are impressed by a clean stock interior are far superior in quality than the ones impressed by neon lights or fancy seats
Plus its easier to get into the car with stock interior. race seats, race harnesses and roll bars arent fun
Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM

well right now I'm doing stuff like a new shifter **** and pedals,new carpet eventually and then 4th gen seats, I'm not into the whole *****/import neon light crap. and possibly in the next six months dropping a 350 or 383 in it.
oh and haha speaking of a vacuum I did that about an hour ago, I can't stand a dirty car.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mw66nova
trust me, the girls who are impressed by a clean stock interior are far superior in quality than the ones impressed by neon lights or fancy seats
.... its a good thing he doesn't live in New Jersey lol.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 AM

Car: 1984 camaro Z28
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: 700 r-4
Axle/Gears: Strange 3:73 posi

cheapest way lower your air pressure in the rear tires , just make sure you put it back in before you get back on the road most tracks have air for you to use .
Old 01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by ///DAN///
cheapest way lower your air pressure in the rear tires , just make sure you put it back in before you get back on the road most tracks have air for you to use .
not really good advice if we're talking about street radials. they don't act like a slick on lower pressure. on lower pressure they'll "cup" in the middle of the tread and lose foot print. run about 28-30psi in the tires. that way they're not rock hard, but they'll still keep the tread on the ground.

i throw pedal covers and shifter ***** in the same category as neon lights btw
Old 01-19-2010, 06:51 PM

Car: T/A / Grand Am
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: glide
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 5.67

Originally Posted by Duke!
well right now I'm doing stuff like a new shifter **** and pedals,new carpet eventually and then 4th gen seats, I'm not into the whole *****/import neon light crap. and possibly in the next six months dropping a 350 or 383 in it.
oh and haha speaking of a vacuum I did that about an hour ago, I can't stand a dirty car.
Better get the posi first. More power = more spin.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 PM

haha, well when i get the money for the engine I'll also have the money for the posi and tires, but not right now.

and as for pedal covers and shfter ***** being *****/import I don't agree with that, I'm not puttin a wing and a turbo on it, I'm covering up pedals that don't have any rubber on them, and replacing a shifter **** that has no leather and is broken.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

Car: 86 firebird with 98 firebird interi
Engine: pump gas 427sbc Dart Lil M 13.5:1
Transmission: Oldani TH400 w/ BTE 9" convertor
Axle/Gears: 31 spline Moser/full spool/4.11Rich

not really good advice if we're talking about street radials. they don't act like a slick on lower pressure. on lower pressure they'll "cup" in the middle of the tread and lose foot print. run about 28-30psi in the tires. that way they're not rock hard, but they'll still keep the tread on the ground.

i throw pedal covers and shifter ***** in the same category as neon lights btw
As mentioned multiple times, but i will just cuz i can posi...that's a no brainer, should be able to find a direct bolt in from a scrape yard.

NOW, i will be the first one to argue with everybody on here about "street tires and burnouts". Alot of people have just heard "burnout's make typical radial tires slippery" and "dont lower air pressure because radial tires need/want/like higher air pressure". While alot of that sounds really good since it's what the herd all agrees on since it's been shoved down their throats for a long time.....the fact of the matter is, YOU need to experiment with YOUR car, YOUR set up and use what works best for YOUR car/combination. I say this, because despite all the radial/street tire "taboo" i see everybody posting all the time, i was the unicorn, my car, my tires were sasquatch, my combination was mystical because my car when it ran 13's LOVED having the tires at 18psi vs my street driving 35psi, anything more/less it'd develope a spin, and it would never be a consistant spin. My car LOVED rolling through the water and hazing the dog snot out of them, smaller burnout's i would spin. Going around the water box and a quick clean off, i would spin. So take all the advise about "what radial street tires want" with a grain of sand, getcher butt in the seat and DOCUMENT passes and changes and see what yeilds the best results....CONSISTANT results.

Since you are talking about bracket racing, please forget you ever read any of the above posts regarding "roll into the throttle" unless you are trying to lose. Bracket racing is about consistency, and i promise you will not be able to consistantly "roll into the throttle" for all your time shots and however many rounds you go...it's impossible since nerves/adrenaline, track surface temp will vary, so you need to be able to plant that right foot directly to the floor board on the last yellow (or possibly 2nd yellow depending on how slow/stock yoru car is) anything less than, your a duck. Since times are tough and money is tight, it will be a great time to learn how to drive a bracket car, meaning, you as the driver are going to have to find ways to win until funds allow you to make changes to the car to make your job easier, you will need to quickly learn to cut killer lights to give yourself the advantage. you will need to quickly learn how to sandbag aka hold a few so in the unfortuante event you spin a bit, you miss the shift by 1-200rpm you have a window of opportunity to play the game which will then force you to learn to ddrive the stripe.

Good luck, there's good advise on here with lots of experience, but as with any forum, take it all with a grain of sand since there is just a ton of hear say and "facts" accepted as reality because nobody has bothered to dispute it elsewhere and turns into folklore LOL!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:34 AM

Car: 1984 camaro Z28
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: 700 r-4
Axle/Gears: Strange 3:73 posi

As IHI said every car is different I got great results lowering the air in my S-10 I used to run a couple years ago like said not too low but between 15-22 psi give it a try you never know it could work for you too .
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Supreme Member

maybe you should have specified a pressure setting then so i wouldn't look like an idiot?

IHI, you are very oppinionated, and most of the time i like that. i'm posting my personal experience with street tires too, NOT just what the "herd" is doing. i'd like to think that you'd know by now that i'm not an effin' sheep.

pedal covers are gay. wings are gay. turbos are NOT. you can get factory replacement rubber pedal covers in the "HELP!" section of any parts store. it's such a common pedal size that every parts store i've ever been in has kept them on the shelf. the only reason i'm so against the pedal covers is because they don't fit right on the pedals. specifically on the throttle pedal. i had the throttle pedal hang open on me one day when i was 17. i had those on there cause i thought they looked cool. they ended up being a severe pain in the butt, and when i had the throttle hang up and nearly went off the road trying to get it loose...well...i came home and threw them away. if you want nice pedals, get real replacements...but honestly, a new brake pedal pad from the "HELP!" section would make you feel awesome about yourself in the quest for a restored interior.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

maybe you should have specified a pressure setting then so i wouldn't look like an idiot?

IHI, you are very oppinionated, and most of the time i like that. i'm posting my personal experience with street tires too, NOT just what the "herd" is doing. i'd like to think that you'd know by now that i'm not an effin' sheep.
I know your not part of the herd, you've spent plenty of time in the trenches yourself, experimenting too and using the results of your experimenting for the good of your car BUT, remember all the posts on not only this forum but countless other's stating radial tires should'nt be aired down, should'nt go through the water box and should'nt get a burnout....lemme copy a few exerps from this thread alone so you can see why i made the post the way i did, since it was "heading that direction" with biased info once again, hence my intervention :

"do a smoking burnout because it looks cool to their friends but it actually makes traction worse if you're on street tires. If you can, drive AROUND the box, then do a little burn out to clean the tires off before you stage"

"not really good advice if we're talking about street radials. they don't act like a slick on lower pressure. on lower pressure they'll "cup" in the middle of the tread and lose foot print. run about 28-30psi in the tires"

"A street tire is designed to not heat up so all you're doing is wearing off the rubber and making the tire slippery. The street tire tread also picks up water which will drip onto the starting line. Drive around the water to the inside if possible. They sweep the dirt and rubber to the outside and you don't want to drive through that. If you have to, just do a short dry hop to remove any bit of water or rocks from the tires"

"Everyone on street night likes to get in the water box and do a smoking burnout because it looks cool to their friends but it actually makes traction worse if you're on street tires. If you can, drive AROUND the box, then do a little burn out to clean the tires off before you stage."

Now if I was the only person in the world that actually had luck airing down radial street tires, doing a big burnout and having the car run consistant 60's, then i could say maybe i did have a unicorn, but i'm freinds and BS with many of the kids/guys running the street classes at our local track, the guys going rounds and winning on street tires are all having luck doing burnouts and varying air pressure from "DOT recommended" so that is why I said the kid needs to get his **** in the seat and record/document information pertaining to HIS car/HIS set up to see what works best for HIM....and not get caught up reading all the exerps i quoted above because that would send him to the track with a jaded thought process and it would only handicap any real progress the kid could be making, but is afraid to try because everybody said DONT........kinda see where i'm coming from now
Old 01-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Supreme Member

I say this, because despite all the radial/street tire "taboo" i see everybody posting all the time, i was the unicorn, my car, my tires were sasquatch, my combination was mystical
LOL at the sasquatch comment. My car loved about 25psi and I ran 30 on the street. But this was with a high 13 second L98 bolt on car. High 1.88-1.89 60 foots were my absolute best with alot in the 1.93-1.95 range. Those were 245/50/16's. Soft compound street tire that didnt get slippy with a little burnout.

My trans am puts out over 60whp more than that L98 did at the time and it wont spin tire on the street with 275/40/17's but its got stock converter and 2.73 gear. All setups are different. I could NOT get that car to 60 any better than 2.03 at the track. Thats foot brake as high as i could and MASH it on 3rd yellow. NEVER even chirped. 13.4s at 104 bone stock + lid.

I agree, you got to experiment. There are corvette guys cutting 1.7's on stock street tires (Z06 guys with 19x12 wheels or something like that)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
IHI
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Orr89RocZ
LOL at the sasquatch comment. My car loved about 25psi and I ran 30 on the street.
Mine were some junk Mastercraft tires and i had my best/most consistant results at 18psi and a smoke show that made all the tuners jealious....every round for me was a burnout contest LMFAO!! Not quite that bad, but honestly i hazed them alot more than i ever have done my DOT or Full slicks.
In all it's glory back in the day, good ole "Blue Bumper Bandit" LOL!! BEST part, the car in THIS state actually got torn down for "cheating" because i was knocking out super pro guys round after round in a high roller gambler race and they cried fowl, and thought i was cheating LMAO!! because "no street car can cut lights like that all day long" so if you know what your doing, you can take whatcha got and make guys feel pretty stupid
Name:  Beforebirdpics003.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  47.6 KB
Old 01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

ok ok, i agree with everything you said now. your opinions are abrasive sometimes
Old 01-20-2010, 02:45 PM
IHI
Supreme Member

ok ok, i agree with everything you said now. your opinions are abrasive sometimes

LOL, taint the first time i've heard that wifes yells at me all the time for crackin remarks on her facebook page because "it sounds mean" the whole time i'm laughing....just a side effect of hanging around guys with a mean/sick sense of humor.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Car: T/A / Grand Am
Engine: 383 SBC
Transmission: glide
Axle/Gears: 9" ford 5.67

I think most guys have their own beliefs, regardless of age. It's just the experiences that people have with differant types of things. I have had street tires that liked lower pressure and some didn't. Some needed a burn out some were like grease if you did. The last set I had on my GTA needed pressure @ 22 psi and a healthy burn out. I'll be 60 my birthday. I had a young fella come up to me when my son was doing a good burn out and explaned to me we was doing it all wrong, because of the street tires. He did run for the final race that night, but lost. Because he had a terrible light. Good luck on your life experiences. There aren't too many things set in stone.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM

thanks for all the info, I'll try different things and see what works for me,
and as for pedal pads being gay/*****/import...
I installed them this afternoon and I think they look good,
my car, my rules lol but really thanks for all the help.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 82 S10, 83 280ZX, 84 Z28
Engine: 355 smallblocks..na, 2.8 turbo
Transmission: 85:th350, 84:700R4
Axle/Gears: 85:ford9 4.85, 84:stock 3.24

has anyone suggested adding some weight in the trunk? i'll meet up with you at the track and help you out. spinning the tires hurts your e.ts more than some weight would. since you go to those drags at ams you know you can't run drag tires in the domestic class. i'm sure you've seen the "swansons towing" silver dodge truck. he has a 400lbs water bag in the bed and that truck hauls a$$.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Dana M78 3.27 posi

Originally Posted by skirkland1980
has anyone suggested adding some weight in the trunk? i'll meet up with you at the track and help you out. spinning the tires hurts your e.ts more than some weight would. since you go to those drags at ams you know you can't run drag tires in the domestic class. i'm sure you've seen the "swansons towing" silver dodge truck. he has a 400lbs water bag in the bed and that truck hauls a$$.
Added weight in trucks are a very common thing, due to the very light rear end weight. Nothing but the truck bed = low weight on the rear tires for traction.

Like those bags for trucks on icy roads. The extra weight helps keep the rear tires traction.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 PM

thanks man, I havent been down there in awhile, but I will be there a lot more this summer. and i don't have the money for drag slicks anyway haha.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

what city do you live in?
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 PM

I'm in stockbridge bout 10 minutes from the track.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Supreme Member

you should come by with your car and we can tinker with it. i run a small repair shop at my house.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 PM

alright man, p.m me, me and my dad might swing by there sometime.