Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

VERY SERIOUS RACING PROBLEMS!!!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 GTA Convertible
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
VERY SERIOUS RACING PROBLEMS!!!!! HELP!

Took my GTA out to the track today after installing a ZZ-9 Cam, Big Mouth Manifold, TPIS Level 4 PROM and exhaust cut outs before the cat. Had 2 runs one resulting in a 14.563 @ 93.29, 2.013 ft., and the other a 14.671 @ 92.87, 2.031 60 ft. I had good traction with the BF Drag Radials and left the line around 2K RPM's. Shifted at 5500 RPM's. These times are worse than when I ran a 14.450 @ 94.7 MPH with a 1.90 60 ft with a stock intake manifold and flat tappet cam. NOTE* i never tried car with full exhaust since mods were performed.

Also, with the flat tappet cam I shifted around 4300RPMS and left the line at 1500.
I figured with the zz9, to leave at a higher RPM and shift at a higher RPM. Is this whats killing my time? But shouldnt I see HP gains through MPH? Whats goin on!? Does it need to be professionally tuned. Fuel pressure? It was at 49#s no vacuum today. I was also using 49 psi before the roller cam and manifold when I ran the 14.4@94

------------------
1988 GTA 5.7L TPI Auto
355 ci. block, SLP Cold Air Intake w/ K&N, fully modified MAF Sensor, TPIS 52mm Throttle Body w/Air Foil, Fully Ported and Polished Plenum, Nikel-plated Ported SLP Siamesed Runners, Ported TPIS Big Mouth Intake Manifold, stock heads w/ 1.52 Comp Cams Self-aligning Roller Rockers, TPIS ZZ-9 Roller Camshaft, TPIS Valve Springs, Cloyes True Double Roller Timing Chain, TPIS Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Balanced Bosch 22 lb/hr Fuel Injectors, MSD 6AL, Taylor 10mm Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, MSD Blaster Coil, March Underdrive Pulleys, 6 3/4" Vibratech Streetdamper, TPIS Level 4 PROM, 160 T-stat, Low Temp. Fan Switch, Stock Distributor w/ Bronze Gear, SLP 1 3/4" Headers, Random Technologies High Flow Cat., Adjustable Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Flow Tech Pre-Cat 3" Exhaust Cut Off, Level 10 PTS-3 700R4 Trans, B&M Holeshot 2400 Stall Converter, B&M Trans Cooler, TCI Aluminum Finned Trans Pan, Torque Converter Lock Up Switch, 3" Balanced Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.73 Richmond Gears, Auburn Pro-Series Differential, Aluminum Differential Cover w/ Main Cap Preloads, BF Goodrich Drag Radials 255/50 R16, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, Hotchkis Panhard Rod, Hotchkis Tie Rod Adjuster Sleeves, Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks and Struts, 1LE Springs, Energy Suspension Polyeurethane Bushings, Global West Tubular Subframe Connectors, Global West Steering Box Brace, HP Motorsports 3 Point Strut Tower Brace

"Why ride a stang when birds can fly?"

http://www.geocities.com/thegta

[This message has been edited by Joseph Andres (edited March 04, 2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 07:48 PM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: Forged 383
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
First of all, how did your engine get a flat tappet cam in it?? Hyd. Roller cams are what was put into tpi cars starting in 87. So maybe you mean the factory roller cam when you say flat tappet, at least I hope so. There would be absolutely no benefits of retrofitting a roller-cammed car with a flat tappet cam, mainly due to the internal friction and decreased efficiency of a flat tappet cam as compared to a roller cam. Now to answer your question of why you aren't running fast...it's your HEADS!!! They are the most restrictive part of the 350, period. To leave those stock junkers on your ride with all your mods is kind of like **** on a bull. It just doen't make sense. My advice would be to save up for a set of TFS twisted wedge heads, or AFR's if you can afford them, and then let us know how your car's running. Just my thoughts. Peace.
Old 03-06-2001, 08:19 PM
Banned

His car has a flat tappet because last year it was rebuilt. The mechanic used a flat tappet instead of a roller like he should of. The block is from a 91 also.

Heads are not the answer in this case. His car should be a mid/high 13 second car with all his mods. With heads, definitely 12s.
Seems like something is holding him back.
Plastic bag wrapped around air filter?

------------------
91 Formula
305 TPI 5speed
1LE/G92/WS6

Paxton SN92 polished kit, SLP airfoil, ported/polished plenum, March pulleys, Crane AFPR(43psi),Crane Gold 1.6rrs,MSD coil,MSD6AL (5275rpm limit),Holley 9mm wires,Ac delco R43ts plugs,fastchip,Ford SVO 24# injectors,Bosch O2sensor,SLP 1 5/8" headers,SLP catback,shortened shifter,3:73s w/Auburn posi,170* t-stat,JET 195* fan switch, Macewen white face gauges, Autometer gauges, Zoom hi-performance clutch.

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 06, 2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 07:30 PM

I dont think you can run platinums with the msd6 i think i heard this before. Tpis has a program you can rent from them You run it on your car and it will tell them how to burn it. Is this the first time you got the chip back. Usually it takes about two or three times before you get the chip right. I do think the heads are resricting but it should be running faster than that just adjustments in my opinion
Old 03-07-2001, 08:04 PM

Had the GTA Dyno tuned today and discovered that the car runs lean. That is the problem of the poor quarter mile times and MPH's. They tuned the car by raising fuel pressure (49-62) and returning to the stock PROM which yielded a 40 HP gain and 25 lbs./ft. There is an additional 60-70 HP potential gain if the injectors are changed to 30 lbs. The timing was left alone at 6* BTDC (no ping detected) because the lean condition needed to be taken care of first. When the optimum fuel mixture is accomplished, more timing can be added. They also told me that the PROM will need to be reburned to handle the 30 lbs. injectors and the mixture will have to be leaned out at idle because there will be a very rich condition which will bog the engine. The optimum way to tune a car would have to change to a DFI set up. This would yield a solid 80 HP gain with the components already on the car. WONDERFUL JOB CAR TEK!!!!
http://www.Cartek.net

Joe

------------------
1988 GTA 5.7L TPI Auto
355 ci. block, SLP Cold Air Intake w/ K&N, fully modified MAF Sensor, TPIS 52mm Throttle Body w/Air Foil, Fully Ported and Polished Plenum, Nikel-plated Ported SLP Siamesed Runners, Ported TPIS Big Mouth Intake Manifold, stock heads w/ 1.52 Comp Cams Self-aligning Roller Rockers, TPIS ZZ-9 Roller Camshaft, TPIS Valve Springs, Cloyes True Double Roller Timing Chain, TPIS Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Balanced Bosch 22 lb/hr Fuel Injectors, MSD 6AL, Taylor 10mm Wires, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, MSD Blaster Coil, March Underdrive Pulleys, 6 3/4" Vibratech Streetdamper, TPIS Level 4 PROM, 160 T-stat, Low Temp. Fan Switch, Stock Distributor w/ Bronze Gear, SLP 1 3/4" Headers, Random Technologies High Flow Cat., Adjustable Borla Cat Back Exhaust, Flow Tech Pre-Cat 3" Exhaust Cut Off, Level 10 PTS-3 700R4 Trans, B&M Holeshot 2400 Stall Converter, B&M Trans Cooler, TCI Aluminum Finned Trans Pan, Torque Converter Lock Up Switch, 3" Balanced Aluminum Driveshaft, 3.73 Richmond Gears, Auburn Pro-Series Differential, Aluminum Differential Cover w/ Main Cap Preloads, BF Goodrich Drag Radials 255/50 R16, Hotchkis Lower Control Arms, Hotchkis Panhard Rod, Hotchkis Tie Rod Adjuster Sleeves, Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks and Struts, 1LE Springs, Energy Suspension Polyeurethane Bushings, Global West Tubular Subframe Connectors, Global West Steering Box Brace, HP Motorsports 3 Point Strut Tower Brace

"Why ride a stang when birds can fly?"

http://www.geocities.com/thegta

[This message has been edited by Joseph Andres (edited March 07, 2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 08:08 PM
q1

i also think you should doubble check the chip i had real problems with mine to start
Old 03-07-2001, 08:38 PM

It sounds like you've got your car running better now, but I doubt that you need an injector that big. I'm sure someone will add to what I'm saying. I think you need a custom PROM, one that you do yourself. According to the guys on the PROM board you can get yourself setup for about 200 bucks or so. I think that with your mods the injector pulse rate isn't long enough to deliver the needed fuel, so that's why your fuel pressure needs to be so high. I'm sure someone over there can help you more, so good luck. Later

------------------
'87GTA w/ SLP Cold Air, MSD Coil, Airfoil, Gutted MAF, AFPR, TES Headers, HI-FLOW CAT, Flowmaster Catback, Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit
Old 03-07-2001, 08:47 PM

The first thing I will try is to replace the injectors to 30 lbs., and lower the pressure back down to 45 lbs. ( as recommended by http://Cartek.net ) to get rid of the lean condition, then take it to the Dyno again. Then I will have the PROM reburned so I know exactly what needs to be done to it using the Dyno Jet results. The Air/Fuel Ratio graphs on the Dyno Jet will guide us.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:54 PM
Banned

<quote>Jay87GTA said:
"It sounds like you've got your car running better now, but I doubt that you need an injector that big. </quote>"

Believe it or not he does. His engine is efficient as hell. Once the injectors are on there this thing will be hauling *** .I don't listen to the "do your own prom" talk anymore because I bet NONE of the people that say that have a dyno. Anyway, if you've never been on a dyno before...burning your own chips is an endless hit or miss. Dyno tuning is the way to go. Let me rephrase that, Cartek is the way to go. They have led me to thy path of rightousness or something. They taught me a lot of things. More than I ever learned in high school

[This message has been edited by theformula (edited March 07, 2001).]