Pacific Region Regional board for Pacific Third Gen owners.

Anyone want a free IROC-Z?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Chevy Camaro
Engine: Built L98
Transmission: T-56 6 speed
Anyone want a free IROC-Z?

I have a 1985 IROC-Z that I'm giving away if anyone wants it. It has the LG4 motor inside of it and I think a 700r4. The car doesnt run as it has been sitting for many years. It's missing a few parts though that being the tail lights, pass. side fender and side skirt, door caps, steering box, and seats. If you want it you just have to tow get it towed to wherever you want. Email me at xxrevlimitxx@aol.com if your interested.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 TTA
Engine: LC2
Transmission: Worn-out 200R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.27's
I'd like the motor and trans, but I'd want them in running condition before I grab them. *shrug* Want it for sure, but already buried up to my eyeballs with another basket-case car. Sure wish I had more hours in my day...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 RS
Engine: 383 in building process
Transmission: 700r4
Might be interested Chris. Check your email. Oh yeah, where is the car located?

Last edited by acescarrsRS; 07-09-2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:47 PM

Sounds like good HI third gen parts car. Who needs what? I'll take the rear lca's and torque arm. Unless someone wants to restore it.

I got a place to part it out. I might be getting rid of my '69 dodge... so I'll have some room. My tow truck still isn't legal right now, though.

Laters,
Scott
Old 07-09-2004, 04:35 AM

Car: 1999 30th Anniversary Pontiac T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Just curious, how hard is a torque arm swap to do? is it costly?
Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 PM

You takin' it, Anthony?

I think swapping the torque arm would depend on how easily the bolts come off, since it's rather hard to work under there and it's probably rusted or something. Don't know if anything else has to come off... I thought it bolted in sideways....

I'll take that th700 off your hands, uhm, whoever is taking the car! I was doing some diagnostics on my drivetrain this weekend... not very good results....

So, I'll take that 10-bolt (from drum-to-drum) and that tranny if no one else wants it!

Is it a full rolling chassis? I don't know exactly how the steering box connects to the front suspension. Or would a trailer be needed?

Laters,
Scott

Last edited by 3rdGenBlackBird; 07-14-2004 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

Yeah I wanna take the car. Just waiting for Chris to get back to me. I have a spare steering box that I can bolt in, as long as everything else is in place. That way, towing it will be easier. But, we'll see. Unless someone reeeeeaaaally wants it more than me then that's cool. But I want dibs on the doors if they are in decent shape.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by acescarrsRS
Yeah I wanna take the car. Just waiting for Chris to get back to me. I have a spare steering box that I can bolt in, as long as everything else is in place. That way, towing it will be easier. But, we'll see. Unless someone reeeeeaaaally wants it more than me then that's cool. But I want dibs on the doors if they are in decent shape.
Shoots. If you don't need everything, definately let me know. I'll split the work with you to tow it and tear it down! I don't need any doors, doors are for suckers! (I like safety nets!)

Did you plan to pay for a tow, or do you know a guy? Or do you have a nice 50's chevy truck hiding out in your garage for towing?

Let me know, 'cause I do need a few things and can split the cost and work with ya'.

Laters,
Scott
Old 07-13-2004, 10:00 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Car: 87 IROC 92 Z-28 91 Ragtop
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700-r4
Originally posted by 3rdGenBlackBird
I was doing some diagnostics on my drivetrain this weekend... not very good results....Laters,
Scott
What kind of problems...
Old 07-14-2004, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Duck
What kind of problems...
Bent axle. Transmission starting to go. The rest are minor problems.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:05 AM

You want it as a parts car right? If you're going to get it running again then I'll keep looking.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I have a 700R4 tranny that I'm thinking about selling. Don't worry, its not the one from my 89 IROC (hahaha). Its currently at Chris's shop. Its from a wrecked 91 Z28, I'm not sure of the mileage. Chris bought the car at an auction (I think) and took the 5.7 motor. I ended up with the transmission, but I have not touched it yet. It says "Rebuilt" on the transmission. Its from a 91 so it has a VSS speed sensor (no speedo cable plug). You might need to find some sort of conversion kit, maybe swap the tailshafts. Or maybe try those conversion companies like Jagsthatrun for a kit. $200 you pick up.

Or you could always think about something different like a TH350 or TH400. There are some local guys that sell these freshly rebuilt for cheap. I picked up my TH350 for $275. Complete the conversion and add shift kit for under $500. Just have to keep looking for it in the Island Previews.

Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 07-14-2004 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Supreme Member

You want it as a parts car right? If you're going to get it running again then I'll keep looking.
Yeah just as a parts car. I was gonna take what I need, work out any other parts that you guys need, then try & sell off the rest. By the way, I'm leaving for Washington this Friday & I'm gonna be gone for about a week. So Scott, or anyone else, if you wanna take the car, go ahead. Remember I want the doors
Old 07-14-2004, 06:42 PM

Yeah just as a parts car. I was gonna take what I need, work out any other parts that you guys need, then try & sell off the rest. By the way, I'm leaving for Washington this Friday & I'm gonna be gone for about a week. So Scott, or anyone else, if you wanna take the car, go ahead. Remember I want the doors
I'm leavin' for Colorado on tuesday, Ill be gone for about a week also. I'm going to buy, repair and sell a truck this weekend, so you'll probably be back before I have time to do it.

I was supposed to go to WA this summer... plans changed... don't get to hit up my favourite f-body junkyard.

Shawn, thanks for the offer- will keep that in mind. Also, a th350 is a good idea, but I'd prefer to keep a th700 in the 'bird. It's hard to justify a non OD trans in a street car.

-Scott
Old 07-14-2004, 07:06 PM
Supreme Member

OD is too cool for freeway use. Now, if we didn't have freeways a non-OD would be neat, but... Like you said. Hard to justify a non OD tranny for a daily driver.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Originally posted by pvt num 11
OD is too cool for freeway use. Now, if we didn't have freeways a non-OD would be neat, but... Like you said. Hard to justify a non OD tranny for a daily driver.
No problem -- just drop in a transfer case!

GM 4-Speed Automatic Performance Car Transfer case -- With 8 forward gears available the motor stays in a narrow rpm band of performance. The .78 ratio of the GEAR VENDORS gives an alternative overdrive ratio to the very tall factory gear and the GEAR VENDORS can be used with virtually unlimited horsepower (if it is 1200hp or less it gets the standard product).

http://www.gearvendors.com
Attached Thumbnails Anyone want a free IROC-Z?-transfer-case.jpg  
Old 07-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

Hey, that's neat. A GVOD, huh? Ding! Lightbulb went off. I know what I want for Christmas this year...

Last edited by pvt num 11; 07-14-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:48 PM

What do those retail for? That'd be nice on a T5... full manual shifts or clutchless push-button shifts... sweet.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

What do those retail for? That'd be nice on a T5... full manual shifts or clutchless push-button shifts... sweet.
Works with automatics and manual, cost is about $2,000.

Just imagine a Moser rear with 5.89's pushing 30-inch tubbed tires for insane 60-foot times then driving home like a 3.27 final drive, heh. Can be setup to shift by rpm or manually. Some time ago I read an article about "fastest street Corvette" and it had one of these. Someday when I'm living on Route 66 I'll have one on my 500-inch weekend car.

Last edited by Duck; 07-15-2004 at 03:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Duck
Only for automatics, cost is about $2,000.

Just imagine a Moser rear with 5.89's pushing 30-inch tubbed tires for insane 60-foot times then driving home like a 3.27 final drive, heh. Can be setup to shift by rpm or manually. Some time ago I read an article about "fastest street Corvette" and it had one of these. Someday when I'm living on Route 66 I'll have one on my 500-inch weekend car.
Don't see why it wouldn't work with a manual. Isn't it just a 2-speed t-case?

$2,000 isn't unreasonable... I've heard nothing but good things about their quality and durability.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:19 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Don't see why it wouldn't work with a manual. Isn't it just a 2-speed t-case?

$2,000 isn't unreasonable... I've heard nothing but good things about their quality and durability.
You are correct -- it will work with just about anything, including pure race cars.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Supreme Member

Definitly a nice thing to have - I want one, and then I can justify 4.10's in the rear and STILL have a nice super-OD ratio to the tires. Eight forward gears, too cool.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:34 PM

Anthony, what else did you have you eyes on? I don't need body parts anyway. I need suspension and driveline, if possible.

Ian, did you want that engine? The heads aren't bad.... Heck, I'll take the heads if no one wants them, but I don't need 'em.

Anyone else need parts? We can have this thing completely stripped in a weekend- easily.

That way the frames and unused parts can be called in as an "abandoned vehicle" and towed away for free by the state (takes a couple of weeks, though, if I recall correctly). Keeps that person's garage or yard cleaner!

Chris, is there any part of this that you want us to save for you?

I'll be coming back on the 25th or 26th, so if anyone needs an extra pair of hands (or a free place to park that thing) let me know.

Take it easy,
Scott
Old 07-15-2004, 10:57 PM
Supreme Member

Hey Scott, I might take you up on the place to park it lol! We'll see. I have to look over the car to really see what I want too lol. My main thing are the doors & maybe possibly the entire dash setup & center console. But yeah, we gotta see what everyone else wants too! And when everybody gets what they need, I'll strip off anything left over that can unbolt & take it. I'll talk to you guys in about a week when I get back from WA. Laterz.

P.S. I have an engine hoist & a truck to take that motor out & haul it. If nobody wants it, I'll take it

Anthony
Old 07-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Supreme Member

Maybe we could get together and do a group engine tear-down and kwik-n-dirty rebuild just so some of us clueless bafoons then have a clue about what goes into doing a real engine rebuild. That is, if someone has a garage they don't mind parking the thing at until we get rid of it...
Old 07-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

I thought I emailed you back? Crap...I got a bad memory. ANyways the car is outside of my dads shop. The doors are still in good condition and the center console and dash are also in good condition. It has all the drivetrain, engine, trans, etc. in there. The only problem is that the DMV people drove by yesteday and put abandoned vehicle on it. So I'm not sure how long the car will be there for. ANyone can come by and pick it up if they way to take it. I think that car has a posi rear end also...not sure though but more then likely.

Heres a list of things that are no longer on the car though...[list=1][*]Hood[*]Fenders[*]Front Bumper[*]side skirts[*]door caps[*]front seats[*]steering box[*]spoiler[*]tail lights[/list=1]

Everything else is still in the car so yea. O_o
Old 07-17-2004, 03:36 PM

hmmm posi... sounds interesting
Old 07-19-2004, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by REVLIMIT
I thought I emailed you back? Crap...I got a bad memory. ANyways the car is outside of my dads shop. The doors are still in good condition and the center console and dash are also in good condition. It has all the drivetrain, engine, trans, etc. in there. The only problem is that the DMV people drove by yesteday and put abandoned vehicle on it. So I'm not sure how long the car will be there for. ANyone can come by and pick it up if they way to take it. I think that car has a posi rear end also...not sure though but more then likely.

Heres a list of things that are no longer on the car though...[list=1][*]Hood[*]Fenders[*]Front Bumper[*]side skirts[*]door caps[*]front seats[*]steering box[*]spoiler[*]tail lights[/list=1]

Everything else is still in the car so yea. O_o
What do you mean the the door caps? The top part?

Anyway, they usually will tow it within a week or two from the warning. There's a number you can call and tell the guy that you're getting it towed away and that'll buy some time.

Or, post the number up here (and a name if there is one) and I'll call them for you. You'd have to tell me the color and the name of the street it's on.

I won't be back until next monday so there is nothing I can do until then. I wonder if Anthony will be back in time. I guess we need to buy another week or so. Don't want to see a good camaro go to waste... I'd rather see it as a useful parts car than as scrap metal.

Scott
Old 07-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Simple, just scrub the chalk off and move it a few feet. At least it gives the impression that it isn't totally dead. I have to shuffle my third car around every few days or so - lets the neighbors trim the grass there, too.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by pvt num 11
Simple, just scrub the chalk off and move it a few feet. At least it gives the impression that it isn't totally dead. I have to shuffle my third car around every few days or so - lets the neighbors trim the grass there, too.
That's usually what I do, but sometimes when cars don't run it's easier to just call them. Especially when you car that is supposed to be "running and legal" is missing the above items, hehe!

Ya' know, flat tires, no hood or fenders, etc. "Yeah mr. official, it runs great! Just haven't had the time to diver 'er lately!"
Old 07-19-2004, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Yea I would move it...but someone jacked the rims that were on it O_o I don't really care that much it only had some 14" rims on them so no biggy. But yea no more wheels now haha
Old 07-19-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by REVLIMIT
Yea I would move it...but someone jacked the rims that were on it O_o I don't really care that much it only had some 14" rims on them so no biggy. But yea no more wheels now haha
Haha, makes it that much harder to tow. I guess it'd be easiest to find a spare set of wheels. Anyone have a junk loaner set we could borrow?
Old 07-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I do.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:15 AM

Ok, just a question, but what are the laws concerning abandoned vehicles and the appropriation of them?

Lets say for example that I find a 67 Camaro on the side of the road, with a notice on it saying that it is abandoned or is in investigation. If I want to have the 67 Camaro, what do i have to do to get it?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:02 PM

You could write down the number on the citation and call it pretending you're the owner just to buy some extra time before it's towed. (Remember the street name.)

Then, you need to track down the owner. You could leave a business card in the window (or slid into the car) saying that you can take it off his hands. Let him know right away if you called the state for him and relay whatever you were told. ("You got 3 days to move it!" Or whatever.)

If time is running out and there is no way to get in touch with the owner, you have two more options.

1) Just tow it, because obviously no one wants it. This is illegal though, so don't try to register it or sell it as anything other than parts. You could do this if you wanted to part it out, but remember, it is illegal. (The car might already have been stolen in the first place....)

2) Call the number on the citation again saying you work in the area and you "noticed the abandoned chevy for the last few weeks" and that you want information about taking it away for the state. The guy might have someone to direct you to, so you can take it legally and get it in your name. I have no idea if that would work, and I honestly doubt it. Or, the guy might just say take it and don't try to register it or tell anyone.

Remember, if you do get in touch with the "owner," make sure he really owns it before you hand over any cash. If it is stolen and you get it for free, well you just give the officer/owner a sob story about finding your dream car but you'll gladly return it and eat the loss.

But most importantly, is that '67 is decent shape? Hell, if it's in good enough shape I'll even help you steal it! I mean... negotiate the trade....

Also, I'm back in the islands, so I'll try to get that '85 off your hands, Chris. If anyone is willing to lend me a junk set of wheels (preferably with tires...) then I can pick those up this week, and whenever Anthony gets back we'll go pick it up and take it to his place or mine.

Scott
Old 07-27-2004, 04:37 AM

Well, it actually was a 71 SS' a true SS at that too, i stuck my head underneath the car and saw the 396 big block too. Possibly/not possibly in running condition. Its right up Piikoi st. if it's still there. Was thinking about taking it, called the DMV and the cops and it simply got to the point where I said screw it, so I moved on.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry man the DMV took the car already O_o Damn though...I wonder who came up and took the windsheild off the car haha. I guess they tried to take anything that had any type of value.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Hey everyone I'm back And it seems that I came back too late cause Chris' car is gone. Damnit! lol!
Old 07-27-2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by 91RSHawaii
Well, it actually was a 71 SS' a true SS at that too, i stuck my head underneath the car and saw the 396 big block too. Possibly/not possibly in running condition. Its right up Piikoi st. if it's still there. Was thinking about taking it, called the DMV and the cops and it simply got to the point where I said screw it, so I moved on.
I work right near piikoi, 1 block down on king. Where is it at? I can take a look after work or during my lunch if it's close enough.

Darn, sucks that we lost the parts car. I just got my ws6 bars this past week, and I was hoping I could finish the rest of the v8 suspension. Oh well. Damn city, they're early for once....

Maybe they should forget about towing our cars and go finish fixing the damn roads!

Scott
Old 07-28-2004, 07:03 AM

its blue, with a white fiberglass hood, and rusty fenders. Past the firestation all the way up piikoi, as if you were goin to roosevelt go straight up piikoi.
Old 07-28-2004, 05:09 PM

If I have to run any errands today I'll drive until I see it this afternoon. If it's still there I'll drop my business card, though I never hear back from anyone.

Scott
Old 08-26-2004, 05:30 AM

'78 Trans Am

Someone from my AMT class was askin' if I know anyone who'd be interested in a '78 t/a. (Might just be a regular firebird, or even a formula or esprit, he didn't seem to know much.)

All he knew was that it's a " '78 with a v8" sitting outside his house for years, and his family wants to get rid of it. He lives close to campus (probably not as close as I'm thinking) and wanted me to check it out after class sometime. When I asked how bad the rust was, I didn't like the look he gave me....

I said I'd check it out when I have some free time, and I wouldn't give it a second thought unless it has a pontiac engine in it. I'm sure he didn't know, so I'll have to check it out myself anyway. Don't know if anyone is even interested in 2nd gens here, but I looked at 3 different '78 T/A's before I bought my '91.

I doubt it has a chevy in it, but a lot of them carry olds' here. And I need another olds engine like I need another damned broken down mazda eatin' space in my garage. I'd offer him anywhere from a free tow-away to $300 depending on the condition and motor. 400's were the biggest you could get in 78 (excluding olds 403 pieces of crap) so if it has that, I might just trade him my broken '90 MX6 GT straight up assuming he's a *****. The vin shows my GT as a "2.2L Turbo," though I've seen nothing to verify that ever. Ricers won't know the difference though!

If anyone needs a parts car, you know who to call.

Scott