Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Which wires sound the horn?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Which wires sound the horn?

Hey guys I've been searching the forums and can't find a straight answer, I need to know what wires in the steering column / under the driver's kick panel I need to connect to get my horn to sound. I was troubleshooting it earlier and found out both my horns sound great, the problem was the PO put in a grant wheel and didn't bother to connect anything to the horn button

I want to go back to a stock wheel soon, but for now and troubleshooting I'd really appreciate if somebody could tell me what wires I'm looking for! I was only able to find a wiring diagram for the horn relay, which shows I need to ground Terminal B to get my horns to sound. So I'm guessing I'm looking for 2 wires, one from Terminal B and one that runs to ground?

Thanks guys
Old 04-30-2017, 01:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Which wires sound the horn?

There's no ground wire. The horn button gets a chassis ground at the steering shaft. Trace the wire from the relay in the convenience center. Chances are your cancel cam is broken, as mentioned in this thread.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/elec...tion-87-a.html
Old 04-30-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: The All-Powerful 2.8l!! :P
Re: Which wires sound the horn?

Thanks Drew, I actually did read that thread before, that's where I learned how to test the horns directly under the hood :P I ended up just running a wire from Terminal B and grounding it to the exposed metal in the center of my steering wheel, horns sound great! :P

I meant to check the cancel cam today but forgot, I doubt it's related anyways since this a replacement Grant wheel with a little plastic horn button in the center, and looks like it was never hooked up. The PO did one heck of a half-finished "trap door" job above my fuel tank too, so I have no doubt he just threw the wheel on and didn't bother to connect anything. Like I said I'm going back to a stock wheel, so when I switch that out I'm sure I'll find it laying in the column somewhere :P